modern slipjoint?

I'm looking for a modern looking slipjoint,
I'd like a sowbelly or stockman type 3 blade knife, all with sub 3" blades, but would like an affordable knife with a beautiful wood handle, like olive or alder wood handle, or maybe a carbon fiver, or titanium or G10 etc.
No stag for me please!
Any idea's?
cheers

Well to start, let me say that there are about a million possibilities for you. If you are looking for less expensive, check out Schrade (Old Timers, Uncle Henry), Puma, Buck (300 series), and some Queens. If you are looking for higher end models look at Case, some Queens, and Hen & Rooster. Most of the above have textured plastic handles, but I know for a fact that Puma makes wood handled knives. Hen & Rooster, Case, and Queen also have natural scales such as stag and bone. Look around and see what you like, also check out Smoky Mountain Knife Works at www.eknifeworks.com for some pics and pricing.
Hope that helps,
Matt

Originally posted by Jazzman
If you are looking for higher end models look at Case, some Queens,

First time I've ever heard Case referred to as "higher end" or used in the same sentence with Queen!! (This is a delayed April Fools Day joke..right?)

cheers Fella's
It doesnt need to have 3 blades, Although I'd prefer it. 1 or 2 will do, Non-Locking Blades sadly, as I'm in the prison, that is the U.K.

sorridsky, no need to apologize for being from the U.K. America now knows who are their true friends--and the U.K. is one of them! Imo, Tony Blair is one courageous guy who deserves the support of all Britons. Sorry for going off topic.

Back to the topic: You might also want to visit www.mooremaker.com and check out their stockmans and whittlers. Reasonable prices for some good looking knives, imo.

How about a Buck 701 or 703?
They are no longer in there current catalog, but you can find them on ebay.
I have a 701 I use daily.

I agree with the Buck 701/703, a stockman with a somewhat modern look, I´ve heard they are being discontinued but still around, I bought a 701 end of last year at a local fishing shop and they still had some a couple of weeks ago (I´m in Mexico, may be diferent for you).

I also have a Gerber stockman, linerless, bolsterless with black scales (look and feel like reinforced nylon) handle shaped like a reverse congress, I don´t remember where or when I got it.

I was refering to them in terms of price more than of quality. I've had good Cases and bad Cases. The good Cases are good, but the bad Cases turn out very very bad. I had a peanut with springs so stiff that the blade wouldn't open and a tiny toothpick with bladeplay so horrible it almost wouldn't cut straight. As for myself, I prefer other brands but I figure that I might as well bring them up since they are a possibility. Lighten up :)
Matt

A "modern" slipjoint is kind of an oxymoron, they are all based on an old design. You might want to look at the new Kershaw Double Cross. It looks like a 2 bladed slipjoint (pattern and blades) but actually has easy one handed opening and modern liner locks. Also has wood handles. Guess the liner locks disqualify it.

sorridsky,

The knife I have in mind is only one blade. But it is very nice, and I have thought about getting one myself.

It is the Lone Wolf "City Knife." It has green micarta scales and a small wharncliffe blade. It is basically custom in quality, from what I heard, and it was designed by Loveless himself.

Here is the link to this cool knife:

http://store.knifecenter.com/pgi-Product Spec?lwlc12200

hey,
I saw that city knife it does look very nice.
I am holding out for a used Greco Friction folder, but untill then, I thought a D2 queen would be nice, being that its all I'm allowed to carry around, D2 is Ideal for the things i need it for.
Specificaly I'm looking at this model.

http://store.knifecenter.com/pgi-ProductSpec?QN51TFE

Just wish it didnt have brass pins, nevermind!

Hey don't hold out for a used Greco friction folder..just buy a new one. Mine cost around 35 I think. If not, I traded mine to Ryan Malpiede, you might want to follow up with him if he has it and is willing to trade it.
Matt

I will throw in my 1 cent. How about a slip-joint with an OAL of 5.75" with a single blade at 2.3" long made from CPM10V. Hidden back spring, 416 SS bolsters and dark iron wood scales. I've carried this knife for over a month now cutting everthing from heavy plastic to slicing, slivers of copper off pennies, just for laughs.:eek: This pocket knife is one cutting tool and one unique knife.

Jeff Pelz

Hello Neil,

You can view the knife at his web site at: http://www.knifecorner.com/jpholmes/ There is a photograph of the knife in the picture gallery and other information about the knife maker and the knives that he builds, including most of the materials he works with. If you ever get to a BAKCA knife show I'll show you the knife in person.

Back