(Modern) traditional with pocket clip

Hi there,
I'm looking for a sub 3" non locking blade, probably slip joint rather than friction folder for edc.
Ideally I'm after something with traditional(ish) styling. BUT with a pocket clip.
Something like either an AG Russel Barlow without the back lock or a lionsteel Best man with a pocket clip.
If such a beast exists ??

Thanks in advance.

Gerber Straightlace is a neat little guy that fits the bill here, not too expensive.

Little more money gets you the Cold Steel Lucky, which I find pretty stylish.

A lot more money gets you a Chris Reeve Impinda.

All about your budget, but there's stuff out there to be had.

Just a thought...if the knife has a ring for keys or a lanyard hole, a TEC P-7 suspension clip would be a reasonable substitute. I have a couple of my SAK Pioneers.

Here is one under the Boker brand. According to the Boker web site they designed it. But it is made in China, I think by Ruike. I've seen some of what looks to be the same design marketed directly under the Ruike brand.
qFEXjEQ.jpg

This one has orange G10, but I've seen other colors of G10 and I've seen micarta. Mine has steel liners in addition to the G10. Spring strength is about equal to that of a Swiss Army Knife.
slipjoint with pocket clip. Can be tip up or tip down.
12C27 blade steel hardened to a 58 Rockwell.
3 3/4" closed length. Blade length is 2 3/4".
Very well made knife. I carry mine a lot.

Thanks ,
I think I've spotted that Ruike before, a micarta one would be nice.

The J E made blades have exactly the looks I'm after, problem is they mostly come in a hair over 3 inch. And I need to stay under for UK legal carry. If their Lannys clip was under 3 with a pocket clip it would be perfect.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far

Me too, I have two Manly Wasps in Sandvik, one in orange g10and one in black and toxic green handle. The black handles look traditional and the green just adds note of color. I know AG Russell has the Rancher with pocket clip, but it has a lock and just a tad blade longer than 3 inches, so it does not meet your criteria, but maybe that Sod Buster type would be a good pattern.

Take a look at the Boker Tech Tool City 1. I think it meets all your criteria. Good steel, well made. Holds up well with use.
Rich

That’s the one that immediately came to mind for me.

Me too, I have two Manly Wasps in Sandvik, one in orange g10and one in black and toxic green handle. The black handles look traditional and the green just adds note of color. I know AG Russell has the Rancher with pocket clip, but it has a lock and just a tad blade longer than 3 inches, so it does not meet your criteria, but maybe that Sod Buster type would be a good pattern.

I'm with these guys on the Manly Wasp--I love my red/black w/S90V Wasp. If it's not too modern looking for you, this is the absolute best high performance slipjoint option I've owned. Thin behind the edge S90V blade that's a great cutting tool. The four stop open and strong spring make it about as safe as a slip joint can be as well, and it has a deep carry clip.

Hi there,
I'm looking for a sub 3" non locking blade, probably slip joint rather than friction folder for edc.
Ideally I'm after something with traditional(ish) styling. BUT with a pocket clip.
Something like either an AG Russel Barlow without the back lock or a lionsteel Best man with a pocket clip.
If such a beast exists ??

Thanks in advance.
I can install a pocket-clip on the folder of your choice and mail it to you, so long as the scales provide sufficient strength either for threading or for an insert to accept the screws.
I have done this mostly on Alox-scaled SAKs, but have added them to other knives as well with GFN scales, G10, micarta, and I have added them to Stockmans. A couple examples:
bWI757g.jpg

3oGWDo2.jpg

H0oLCjy.jpg

RYeF5I9.jpg

wxupuPI.jpg

There are aftermarket scales for the Proper that have clips. My other favorites are the Impinda, and the Hinderer Slippy (the disc is removable).

rh-slip-sldet4.jpg

Thanks for all the help folks. Lots of great suggestions.

I'm getting close, narrowed it down to two knives so just waiting for one to come back into stock.
I'll be sure to post pics.

Cheers

Thanks for all the help folks. Lots of great suggestions.

I'm getting close, narrowed it down to two knives so just waiting for one to come back into stock.
I'll be sure to post pics.

Cheers

What are the finalists?

WilnRBS

Ok, so after all that the one I've went for doesn't even have a clip....
Yet.
It's the ATS J.E. made clip point in D2 & G10
It turns out the J.E.'s are just UK legal by definition of cutting length :)
I just couldn't get away from those designs although if the Lionsteel modern traditional had a pocket clip I'd have went that way.
So I'll fit a pocket clip to this and it'll be my daily "worker"

It also doesn't wipe out the budget so I'll put a bit more aside and keep an eye out for something a bit nicer that I can swap in for edc away from work.

Thanks to everyone that chipped in, some great knives in the mix there.
Much appreciated.
Cheers.

Last edited:
Back