What have you done to make your CPK better (or at least different)? I did an acid stonewash finish and added orange g-10 liners. Took awhile but a fun project and I’m pretty happy with the results.
Some before and after.
Not trying to clog up the thread but didn’t want to try and edit a post and have my pictures deleted. It was bugging me about not being able to see the finish better so I took one last go at it. Both FK2 with 90 degree spine.
I have a DEK1 on order with double red (maroon) handle scales and requested black liners but Jo doesn’t think they will be available. I know how to pull a CPK apart. What is process for adding liners myself in terms of sourcing the micarta, fitting, grinding, finishing. Thanks.
I ordered g10 liners from Amazon for about $10. I traced the CPK scales with a permanent marker onto the g10 and rough cut it with a pair of scissors. Its pretty tough stuff, tin snips would probably work better. I used the marker to outline the holes and drilled them in the center. All but one hole was spot on, I used some rolled up sandpaper to open it up a bit. I then reassembled the scales and sanded to fit, some with a Dremel and some by hand. It was a slow process.
A word of caution though the DEK1 will be harder because of the jimping on the back end will make it a slow tedious process (at least the way I did it). You might want to try and trace the knife handle itself instead of the scales. Now that I think of it that probably would have been a little easier.
Like you I really wish they made some liners so you can thicken the grip and add a bit of personalization.
I ordered and received two sheets of double black g10 from Amazon. It’s pretty thin material. Since I don’t have my DEK1 preorder yet, think I will add liners on my MC which has unbuffed OD green micarta scales. Might double up the g10 for more thickness. Any opinions on just layering the two sheets dry between tang and scales, or bond the sheets together first, then cut and shape? What adhesive might be best. Thanks for the help. Jeff.
I think the end result would be about the same but bonding them would be less work. I would test a few scraps with adhesive first to see how well it holds. I would try a contact cement first, maybe a thin layer of Super Glue.
I’m sure someone like TRfromMontana has a good suggestion for the adhesive. I’m sure Nathan does as well because he often uses liners and they are like one piece.
Hopefully one of them will weigh in.
I've laminated up several dozens of scales with liners now. Always use Gorilla super glue (gel, not the really thin stuff). I laminate them to the back side of the scale slabs before doing any work. It gets messy, so I wouldn't try it to the original scales or you could get glue all over the edges and have to sand it off.
The sheets probably have a curve to them (not truely flat). If you do glue them put the curved sides facing each other, not nested. Get a sheet of wax paper. Lay the sheets on the wax paper. Apply the glue and stick them together and put a sheet of wax paper on top. Then use spring clamps an a couple backer blocks and clamp them in between the heavier backer blocks. This out to get it all flat.