mokmue

How can i make mokmue out of quarters and is there any years that are better also what is the temp that is the best? Thanks in advance J R H.

I like my Guinness at about 45 degrees farenheit.....Oh, you said, "is there any years that are better and what temperature is best"....my bad.
You can use any of the clad quarters, but results will vary as to what you get. I have heard that the 40% silver half dollars (1964-1971) make great mokume.
Stacy

If you do forge welding/damascus; make sure that you don't make mokume in the same forge. Good luck!

I wouldn't advertise you are using coins for oher than spending. It is a major no no.

I wouldn't advertise you are using coins for oher than spending. It is a major no no.

No it's not, it is one hundred percent ok to do that.

Is it legal?
Yes, The United States Codes under Title 18, Chapter 17, and Section 331, “prohibits the mutilation, diminution and falsification of United States coinage.”

However, it has been the opinion of some individual officers at the Treasury Department, though without any indication of approval, the foregoing statute does not prohibit the mutilation of coins if done without fraudulent intent or if the mutilated coins are not used fraudulently.

So you just can't sell it after you make it ;)

the best results I have had is with the pre 1965 all sivler coins with a disc of copper in between them.

the best results I have had is with the pre 1965 all sivler coins with a disc of copper in between them.

You might as well replace the coins with silver disks would probabley be cheaper.

You might as well replace the coins with silver disks would probabley be cheaper.

Jt, that is exactly what I did. way easier to get a clean weld through the whole billet and way easier to forge and manipulate than regular coins. Also way easier to melt into a blob if you are not watching the stack like you should.

When it comes to coins I take a piece of sheet steel, fold it over to make a u and then put my quarters/dimes in. Once I get them in and situated, I clamp them in a vice and weld the end of the sheet steel together. I found this works nicer than trying to wire them together. Place them in the forge, get them up to temperature ( if you rake the side with a steel pick and it takes a bit of the semi-liquid copper with it) and then either use the vice to push it all together, or tap everything together with a hammer. Hope this helps.

Adam

Back