Monkeypod tree and ebano

I have a large chunk of monkeypod tree (about 15 - 20 handles worth) that my parents brought back from Hawaii and a piece of ebano (about 6-10 handles worth). From what I've been able to gather, the monkeypod tree is in the same family as Koa wood and the ebano is ebony's mexican cousin. I've never seen either of these woods on a blade and was just wondering whether or not anyone in the forums has tried them out and had any luck.

Hi ND, From what I know of monkeypod, it's a lower density softer wood. I'd consider carefully cutting and trimming it for grain flow and appearance (probably a lot of waste from cracks and sap wood) and then send it off for stabilizing. Otherwise, I think it would be prone to scatching and darkening.
Take care, Craig

I have a large chunk of monkeypod tree (about 15 - 20 handles worth) that my parents brought back from Hawaii and a piece of ebano (about 6-10 handles worth). From what I've been able to gather, the monkeypod tree is in the same family as Koa wood and the ebano is ebony's mexican cousin. I've never seen either of these woods on a blade and was just wondering whether or not anyone in the forums has tried them out and had any luck.

Here's one from a few years ago out of monkey pod: http://www.bladegallery.com/shopexd.asp?id=3087&websess=68602442409467 Its not a very hard wood but it is very stable in its natual state. I do dye the wood since I don't really care for the natural color. This is one wood that really bothers me. It irritates the eyes and gets me to sneeze real quick.

Thanks very much Raymond, beautiful work, and nice managing of the color and finish on the handle.
Take care, Craig

Ebano is more of a term than a specific wood. It means ebony in Spanish. It usually refers to any blackwood. It has been (mis) applied to dark rosewoods, and even cocobola. It should make good handles.The monkeypod....well I'm not sure how well it will stabilize,but it is too soft in my opinion to use as is. Call Mike at WSSI and ask him about stabilizing it.
Stacy

Thanks for the info. The ebano was bought in a block from a hardwood dealer here in town but I was wondering about it because the grain structure and color is similar to some rosewood that I've seen. All I know is that I almost wore out a bandsaw blade trying to cut it. I'll try to post some pictures of the blocks I have cut up to see if you guys can tell me anything else. I actually have about 7 sets of bookmatched thuya burl scales that I was thinking of sending out for stabilizing as well so I might just send a larger order.

Back