Mont Blanc or Waterman?

I was just looking to order a nice Mont Blanc or a Waterman most likely in a rollerball style, but I don't really know much about either, can someone clue me in on what is the best and where to deal for decent prices? Thanks.:)

I usually buy from Fountain Pen Hospital, or www.swisherpens.com

If you want a rollerball, I would go with Waterman--more variety and more bang per buck than MB. I have a Waterman Carene rollerball, and it is very nice.

Waterman makes a nice pen. I can't bring myself to carry MB anymore, no offence to those that do...

Why not Parker? I've been carring one since 1978. Some very nice rollerballs. And, the refills can be found at any office supply stire, along with the usual online sites.

The new Ellipse looks sweet.

AJ

I have both pens. I prefer the Waterman. The Watermans have a lot more styles to choose from as well.

S.

I prefer Waterman. I have one of the Carene rollerballs also, and it is a nice pen. Of course, fountain pens are what I like best, and Waterman has a great selection of those also.

I got my Mont Blanc rollerball some years ago when they decided to start making them. It was great, but then the quality of their refill cartridges became just awful. Waterman is an excellent choice--their basic rollerball cartridge writes very well, and you have a choice of a number of different styles. I'm not real familiar with the current line (my two, a LeMan 100 and an Opera, are a few years old), but I've used a Carene and it seemed very nice.

Haven't used my MB rollerball in a long time--possibly they've straightened out the reliability problems, but I haven't bothered to check.

There are 2 others you might want to look at. I bought a nice Rotring 'Core' pen from Swisher Pens and noticed that they also carry some nice Pelikan pens. My buddy the pen collector approved of my Rotring, but he swears by Pelikans.

I've had (and lost :( ) a Waterman rollerball (in marble green) and absolutely loved it...blew me away with satisfaction. I'm hoping to replace it very soon! That is to say nothing bad against the Mont Blanc...never handled one.

Thanks for the info, when I pick something up I will do a little review here, by the sounds of things it will probably be a Waterman, but who knows. Thanks again.

My dad has a collection and three of them are watermans. He likes a heavier, more solid feeling pen and does not like the MB. He says the MB's are light and cheap feeling and way overpriced.

I've had my Meisterstuck LaGrand(the larger one) roller ball for few years now with nothing but flawless service. And, that's on all type of surfaces. Various papers, napkins, etc.... It's quick and easy to operate(one hand) and I find that it writes in all temperatures. Although I do keep it in my breast pocket.

I think I'm on my 5th refill.

My vote goes to Mont Blanc

This thread made me miss my old Waterman so much (it "disappeared" about five years ago), I ordered an exact replacement over the weekend and I should have it tomorrow. I'm so excited to be having one back.

Hi Clay,

I picked up the Expert II. In the picture below, it is the third one down. Mine is a rollerball in Prussian Green.

fullsize2.jpg

This is the same model and color I lost that I miss so much.

Hi Guys,

Here's my Waterman Expert II! :D

Click on thumbnail for larger image

For you computer guys, I left my pen in its presentation box, as you see it here, and placed it face down onto my flatbed scanner (no small feat ... the inset "bed" on which the pen rests is not at all firmly in place in the box frame, making it wanting to fall foward, down onto the scanner's glass) which resulted in this image (no camera used).

As you'll notice in a prior post above, I purchased a green one. It came to me with a defect (a crack near the pen tip) and the store did not have a "green" replacement. I happily took a red one which is equally attractive. :) This is a NICE pen and I'm sure the crack was a fluke.

Very content with my pen, I'm off to write something important ... :) Anyone want to bet that my SOG employee reviews will now have more flair? (or "flare," depending on the employee! ... I love word play!) ;)

Waterman Carene Deluxe Rollerball Pen $112.50

This pen is similar to an old Waterman Fountain Pen I have.

Mont Blancs (got 3) are an entry pen that most folks start with so start with something a little different. Or better yet cruise the pawn shops and Good Wills and find something with a real history.

Back