Montana Mini skinner

Montana Mini Skinner

I am all too aware that what often looks to be a great deal is not always as it seems. Take Hays knives for instance they claim to manufacture a knife made of D2 steel knives for under 70$ that is hardened to a Rockwell 59 to 60 it actually tested a 59.5, could this be true I had to find out. So I took a chance on it being a piece of junk. WOW was I ever presently surprised at what the B.T.O.J brought me. Honestly I did not expect that the Montana Backup would hold a candle to my Hobbits Fang, or my Utility by Round Eye knife or my Busse Assault Shaker. Well much to my delight and surprise it beat my two Round Eye Knives hands down and came in a narrow second to my Busse Assault Shaker After some extensive testing, I found the knife to be almost on par with Busse’ Assault Shaker. It does not have the edge retention characteristics of I.N.F.I. However its grip and edge retention are far superior to that of my round eye knives. With 4 1/2 inches of finger grooved handle with its machine beveling, shows no characteristics of wanting to raise a blister in the user’s hand I ware a 14 ½ inch wedding ring and found it to be vary ergonomic and comfortable. I put this little knife through my standard knife destruction routine. First, I drove its 2-inch blade with a hammer into an old oak stump in my backyard. Then pulled it to the right, then back to the left and then pulled the blade out like a claw hammer. The blade showed no deformation or chipping. The next test involved driving only the belly part of the knife into the oak stump, then shearing it out of the stump, placing maximum force on the edge. The edge did not bend, splinter, or show any deformities. The next test, known as the 55 gallon barrel pop, is performed by stabbing a 55 gallon oil drum 10 times and looking for edge damage or blade failure. I am happy to report this knife only showed cosmetic scratching but in no way did it degrade the edge or the needle fine point of the knife. The final two tests were rope cutting and cardboard cutting. I cut 100 pieces of nylon ¾ inch rope and the knife still shaved but was starting to pull a little the I cut thirty feet of corrugated card board it did this with out a problem. My conclusion is this is a first rate daily carry knife and found it hold a razors edge quite well it can be brought back to its original hair popping sharpness with a few strokes of a ceramic rod. This unique little knife comes with a small of the back holster, made of Kydex and all but disappears until you need it. For more information take a look at Hays knives and see this beauty for yourself. You won’t be disappointed.

Revue by

Michael Murray

http://www.haysknivesmontana.com

Back