Monterey, California Law

Hello I was just wondering if anyone could help me understand this local knife law I just want a second opinion on what it exactly means.

Backstory, I have multiple 7" fixed blade knives that I would like to open carry for outdoor use, odd work tasks while also acting as a deterrent for would be muggers (it's a shady neighborhood)

EDIT: The knives would be classified as dirks/daggers one of them is an actual fighting knife that was my fathers

I know California as a state would permit me to carry my knives with a sheath suspended from my waist in full view but I need help understanding my local laws. Here's the page containing the local laws. Section 22-21 https://www.codepublishing.com/CA/Monterey/?Monterey22.html

"
Sec. 22-21. Weapons and firearms -- certain acts prohibited while carrying concealed weapons.
(a) No person while carrying concealed upon his person any dangerous or deadly weapon, shall loaf or loiter upon any public street, sidewalk or alley, or wander about from place to place, with no lawful business thereby to perform, or hide, lurk or loiter upon or about the premises of another.

(b) No person who has concealed upon his person, or who has in his immediate physical possession, any dangerous or deadly weapon shall engage in any fight, or participate in any rough or disorderly conduct, upon any public place or way, or upon the premises of another.

(c) No person who has concealed upon his person any dangerous or deadly weapon shall loiter about any place where intoxicating liquors are sold, or any other place of public resort.

(d) The restrictions of this Section shall not be deemed to prohibit the carrying of ordinary tools or equipment carried in good faith for uses of honest work, trade or business, or for the purpose of legitimate recreation.

(e) As used in this Section, but in nowise limited thereto, “dangerous or deadly weapon” shall mean any knife with a blade three inches or more in length; any spring-blade, switch-blade or snap-blade knife, or other similar type knife; any knife having a blade which is automatically released by a spring mechanism or other mechanical device; any ice pick or a similar sharp, stabbing tool; any straight edge razor, or any razor blade fitted to a handle; any cutting, stabbing, bludgeoning weapon; or any device capable of inflicting grievous bodily harm.
"

As I understand it any knife in excess of 3 inches regardless of type is considered a deadly weapon and understand is therefore illegal but the law only mentions CONCEALED or IMMEDIATE PHYSICAL possession. So does this mean the law only applies if I'm holding my 7" knife in public? Or does hanging from my waistband in full view count as my immediate physical possession?

Sorry if it seems stupid but I'm incredibly tired and need fresh eyes

Last edited:
Subsections a-c all prohibit carrying a "concealed" weapon. So, if the knife you want to carry is NOT concealed, it's not a problem. This is no different than state law; just a bit more specific but not contrary to state law.

If you can prove that the knife you want to carry is an "ordinary tool" necessary for your work or for "recreation," then you could carry it concealed under subsection d but it would be very hard to carry a 7" fixed blade knife concealed unless you carried it in some kind of shoulder harness or on a molle vest, which would look more "tactical" than work related. So, why bother, if you can just openly carry it?

Last edited:
Subsections a-c all prohibit carrying a "concealed" weapon. So, if the knife you want to carry is NOT concealed, it's not a problem. This is no different than state law; just a bit more specific but not contrary to state law.

If you can prove that the knife you want to carry is an "ordinary tool" necessary for your work or for "recreation," then you could carry it concealed under subsection d but it would be very hard to carry a 7" fixed blade knife concealed unless you carried it in some kind of shoulder harness or on a molle vest, which would look more "tactical" than work related. So, why bother, if you can just openly carry it?

That's what I needed to hear thank you, I planned to open carry it I just wanted to be sure I understand the law right incase a LEO tries to confiscate it for being illegal!

That's what I needed to hear thank you, I planned to open carry it I just wanted to be sure I understand the law right in case a LEO tries to confiscate it for being illegal!

If you're worried about that, you should also carry a copy of the state law and local ordinance w/you when ever you opening carry the knife in case the officer you encounter is not as familiar w/the law as s/he should be.

Back