Month long peanut challenge

Tyson A Wright

Basic Member
I'm going to carry my Zippo Peanut every day for the rest of May. We just bought a house, and are fixing a bunch of minor things before we move in, so this might add something extra to this challenge. I will carry a second knife, but only use it if the Peanut somehow isn't up to the task. I'll try to report back regularly on what I've been cutting, and how well this is going. I suspect that it will be fine, but I haven't carried only a Peanut for more than a day or two since my early teens. I'll either confirm that this size of knife is perfectly adequate for urban EDC, or I'll find out its limitations. Either way I'll learn something.
20220501_191024.jpg

I’ve had my peanut in my pocket for the better part of a month after a long break. The only time needed something bigger was cutting some plants doing yard work. The nut could have done it but it was easier with a 4” blade.

Enjoy the journey. Congrats on the new home.

Attachments

• 0C5B228E-737F-41D8-9046-4EFBBB322604.jpeg
    0C5B228E-737F-41D8-9046-4EFBBB322604.jpeg
    837.3 KB · Views: 9
Congratulations for the new house :):thumbsup:
Small knives are always underestimated.

Before to meet Charlie Campagna I was fallowing the local habits. I mean a 3.9 inches blades seemed me normal and a good size for an EDC.
Today I feel the GEC#15 perfect to eat and even a smaller knife is efficient for almost all we have to do in a day.

So I'm sure your challenge will be a success ;)

Ă‚

I'm going to carry my Zippo Peanut every day for the rest of May. We just bought a house, and are fixing a bunch of minor things before we move in, so this might add something extra to this challenge. I will carry a second knife, but only use it if the Peanut somehow isn't up to the task. I'll try to report back regularly on what I've been cutting, and how well this is going. I suspect that it will be fine, but I haven't carried only a Peanut for more than a day or two since my early teens. I'll either confirm that this size of knife is perfectly adequate for urban EDC, or I'll find out its limitations. Either way I'll learn something.
View attachment 1806802
I will follow this experience with interest. I have no doubt that a short blade (2" or less) is of great use. The problem for me is the length of the handle, at less than 3.75" my hand becomes painful and awkward quickly.
I hope it won't be the same for you.

Dan.

As I get older I have found the size of knife that I “need” has gotten smaller. Today I have a GEC 22 and don’t feel like anything larger is needed during my day to day tasks at work/home. Weekends and yard work are a different story, but I still have no use for some of the huge knives people lug around every day!
Good luck with your quest!

Good luck for the month. That said, my preferred EDC is a bit larger - CV copperhead, and lately it's joined by a CS slim trapper. I wear xxl gloves and even those are tight to get on, so there is that.

Those peanuts do have a cool factor that's hard to beat though. Yours is a nice edition.

Peanuts, and I own several of them, are some of the best put together CASE knives I own, they work for most all my routine cutting needs and I marvel at their symmetry and beauty.
That said, Peanuts seem almost annoyingly small. I prefer a larger (not hugely so) EDC knife and never have I thought, "Man, I need a smaller knife" ... except when dressed up for some occasion or other maybe.

Congratulations for the new house :):thumbsup:
Small knives are always underestimated.

Before to meet Charlie Campagna I was fallowing the local habits. I mean a 3.9 inches blades seemed me normal and a good size for an EDC.
Today I feel the GEC#15 perfect to eat and even a smaller knife is efficient for almost all we have to do in a day.

So I'm sure your challenge will be a success ;)

Ă‚

This forum and our exposure to different traditions and perspectives forces us to examine what is or isn't acceptable.

I myself have gone in the opposite direction as I have re-discovered my affection for the laguiole. I am elated to know that I am not alone in enjoying a 12 cm pocketknife.

Peanuts, and I own several of them, are some of the best put together CASE knives I own, they work for most all my routine cutting needs and I marvel at their symmetry and beauty.
That said, Peanuts seem almost annoyingly small. I prefer a larger (not hugely so) EDC knife and never have I thought, "Man, I need a smaller knife" ... except when dressed up for some occasion or other maybe.
This made me laugh out loud. First time for this Forum.:) Thanks.

I take it that its small,but how small?

2 & 7/8" closed.
2" main blade.
It appeals to me as a miniature.
Yes, it could do more than I usually do with a knife, but I want another half inch of handle.
The size of the blade isn't really the objection that most people raise - it's the handle size. And whether or not that is an issue depends on your hands and your dexterity. I wear XL gloves, I type reasonably well, and play guitar, So I have roughly average size hands (I think XL seems to be the average size, at least going by what's available at Home Depot), and pretty decent dexterity. Here's the peanut in hand:
20220503_115000.jpg

And here it is next to my GEC 97, which is my most commonly carried knife:
20220503_110729.jpg

I, too, generally prefer a larger knife. My GEC 97, a large Case Stockman, the Opinel No.08 are among my favorites; the GEC 86 BF knife as about as small I as usually carry as a main knife. But I do often think, "Man, I need a smaller knife." Because my knife spends more time in my pocket than it does cutting things, so I'm always trying to find a smaller knife that can still do everything I want from a pocket knife. I have been trying to reduce the size of pretty much all of the things I carry in my pockets, while still maintaining some basic functionality. Very rarely am I cutting anything with my pocket knife that requires more than 2" of blade. I sometimes use these larger knives for cooking, but that's just for the fun of it - I have good kitchen cutlery (and it works a lot better than any pocket knife for meal prep). I suspect that the Peanut will work fine for everything I need to cut. If I have any extended cutting sessions, I suspect that the handle will be the problem - it's fine for a quick cut here or there, but cutting up a bunch of boxes with this might not be so great. We'll see.

Best wishes for your 30 days with a Peanut, Tyson! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

As you and others have noted, potential difficulties are probably most likely to be related to the small size of the handle. And the Zippo being a 1-bladed peanut makes that even more likely, I think, because the handle is not only kind of short, but it's really thin. I think that thinness of the handle would give me the most problems.

- GT

Back