Moose Hunter

All of my moose hunters and most everything else for that matter is 440C.

I do it that way for a good reason. If there were several different materials in house, each with its own heat treatment schedule. eventually there would be errors caused by mixed up steel or at the heat treaters because each run could contain multiple specification materials. The way to avoid problems that could get out to my customers is not to give this sort of error a chance to occur.

Seems simple but it works, no heat treat problems at all since I have started making knives. In fact I take it farther than that by using the same bolt size on every bit of equipment I build or modify. That way only one size wrench is necessary to take anything apart or change setups...no searching for the right size, I buy them in quantity and scatter them around the shop.

The moose hunter in 440C is the first knife that I designed and began to make because I wanted a moose knife that would hold an edge long enough to dress, skin, and quarter a moose (in our moose camp we usually went through 5 or 6 knives to dress one moose).

With a little research I found 440C and a local heat treater who would cryo treat the knives as well....the end result is a knife that will dress, skin, and quarter at least two adult moose without sharpening. Several people have reported that after 2 moose the blade was still sharp "but you can't shave with it anymore".

Hollowdweller here is a photo of a Moose Hunter I just completed. The 8-9oz waterformed, pouch style, dyed leather sheath is hand stitched and made by myself.

PRICE: Cdn $150 US $127 ship/handling extra

Payment: Visa - MasterCard

ismoosecocobolojune1408rr1.jpg

Awesome looking blade:thumbup: Just a long time ago I made a vow never to buy another blade in 440.

If you ever make that model in carbon, or any of the other stainless I'd be totally up for one. Liked the design ever since I saw those pics Piter put up 5 or 6 years ago.:thumbup:

I am not sure why you dislike 440C but if I ever decide to use another material I will definitely let you know.

George

I'll chime in here.
I had George make one of these up several years ago. It has worked on 2 moose so far (a bull & a cow) with spectacular results. George is correct: for field use, simpler is better. The last thing you want to think about after you have been up to your knees in a bog cleaning a moose, having humped/paddeled it back to camp in the dark and are dead dog tired is the state of your knife. With 440C, wipe it clean on your pants, sheath it and forgeddaboutit :D
My knife had superior edge retention attributable to its heat treat and the ergos are second to none. The Moose Hunter is everything a modern hunting knife should be imho. and is a screaming deal.

Awesome looking blade:thumbup: Just a long time ago I made a vow never to buy another blade in 440.

If you ever make that model in carbon, or any of the other stainless I'd be totally up for one. Liked the design ever since I saw those pics Piter put up 5 or 6 years ago.:thumbup:

I wonder if you know there are steels in 440A, 440B and 440C. The three steels are very different of the same ilk, but 400C is head and shoulders above the other two. A blade in 440C correctly heat treated and tempered is difficult to fault. I have carried on of George's 440C folders for 2 years and it is always razor sharp and difficult to dull even with hard use.

I am a big fan of 440C. To me it is the ultimate low maintenance steel with good strength ,edge retention and mositure resistance. The ELK hunter that I bought from George a year ago is a good example of a man who knows his steel and can bring out the best in it.

Hi George:

Why the difference in pricing for US dollars and Canadian dollars?
Is shipping in Canada included?

I know the exchange rates fluctuate, but 150 canadian dollars today is about 148 US dollars.

Hi George:

Why the difference in pricing for US dollars and Canadian dollars?
Is shipping in Canada included?

I know the exchange rates fluctuate, but 150 canadian dollars today is about 148 US dollars.

Carol here, in Canada we pay TWO sales taxes remember..........GST & PST

I think a Moose Hunter in Red Deer or Sambar Stag would be the ULTIMATE:p!!

Do you mean like this :)
staghandledmooseyu0.jpg

This one is Sambar, presently we reserve our Samber for the Bowies and use Red Deer for our smaller knives. Can be done;) Let us know if you're interested.

Cheers, Carol

Last edited:
That is EXACTLY what I mean:cool:!!That is the ULTIMATE!! I am interested is the one in the picture in Sambar Stag available? I will send you a email.

Copperboy, if you like that, you should check out the Elk Hunter thats in the store now. It is awesome especially with the file worked spine on it.

-Chris

That moose hunter is long gone but I do keep blades in stock ready to be handled with Red Deer. Since quality Sambar is still very scarce I have been reserving it for my bowies only.

Chris that Elk hunter sold yesterday.

George

Glad to hear you found a good home for it. It was a great piece. Congrats.

-Chris

Glad to hear you found a good home for it. It was a great piece. Congrats.

-Chris

Chris it's the fellow upstairs. Remember the day you were and there was the little chipmunk scene with no you can have it, no, no, you take it I have some already. Well, finally it was resolved and the fellow upstairs has taken it. He is so excited. He's the chap that will only come in when Maggie is not in the shop. ;) Carol

Glad to hear it found a good home. Unfortunate for Joe that Maggie wasn't on guard that day. Something tels me it won't be long before he has another order in though.

-Chris

Back