Mora Companion Heavy Duty vs. Kellam Puukko

After a carefully weighing the pros, cons, and price considerations of many fine knives such as Kellam, Mora, BHK, and others, I narrowed it down these two given that they are in a price range that I am comfortable with right now.

The final question remains - is it worth spending the extra on the Kellam? Any input appreciated.

Kellam carries several lines of puukkos. There are Rosellis, the Wild Finns, Kainuuns, Iisakki Jarvenpaas, and even custom knives. There are other lines as well. Which one are you referring to?

They're both good values, maybe the Mora bit more. The Moras cheaper, though with the Kellam you get a nicer handle and full tang. Though full tang isn't all that vs a stick tang. I myself would rather buy a mora then a decent folder.

Look at .ragweedforge before you choose any scandi kinife
There are alot of knives less expensive than the one you show
then decide

I have owned both. While my opinion may not be yours (or anyone else’s) I figured I would share it in case it helps you make up your mind.

Bottom line is, I would buy the mora and save the extra cash that would be spent on the Kellam. Here is why:

Functionally, there is not going to be a CRAZY amount of difference…..so why spend more.

The Kellam has a nicer looking handle. But, it is finished very rough. Rough sanded, rough sanding marks in the brass, a very light (weightwise) and not overly durable wood, and a stain to cover up things. I am not complaining, those are just my observations.

The real big deal in the extra money is while I like the handle shape, it is a bit too small for me. It is too thin toward the blade on the top, which pushes into the web of my hand harsher than the mora. If it is less comfortable, and more money…..well, there is the big reason for my mora recommendation.

Another reason is the grind. I am getting really nit picky here, but I prefer flat bevels. I know the mora is not perfectly flat out of the box, but it feel-wise it is very close and doesn’t take much work if you really want it to get there. The Kellam has some slight convexing, and for the stuff I do I hate the convex wobble and much prefer the cut control of a flat grind.

Finally is the construction. I know there will probably be arguments for the “full tang” of the kellam for its increased strength, but honestly, build quality is not all that great. I know someone who sells them and has said that he has seen the end cap come off, and have the whole handle just pull off the knife. No epoxy, or anything. Not on a single knife either, but on several. The strength is all in how well it has been peened, and I honestly don’t think think the handle to rat tail fit was all that precision done like a traditional knife, or the peening process all that tightly controlled, but the knives I have owned and seen.

I am not saying that all that can not be overcome (disassemble the handle, epoxy it it up, reassemble and re-peen). I am just saying…..for the money, I would just get two moras :)

I am not asking anyone to agree with me, or argue with me. I am just saying that is all my opinion and observation :)

FWIW, I sold my Kellam.

B

Thank you Brian Andrews. Your response was extremely helpful in allowing me to figure this out. The handle comment really caught my attention because I have purchased numerous knives now that have required some additional work or modification that resulted in a final product that turned out to be in worse condition than what I received it in. I will not go into detail, but the Condor Bushlore created an interesting project, where I am still not sure as to whether it ended very well. Therefore, I would immensely prefer to have a knife that I can simply take out of the box, perhaps sharpen a bit, and use it immediately. It seems to me, judging by your comments and others that I have found, the Kellam Finn line tends to be hit or miss. You may receive a pristine blade that will be immediately good to go, or you may end up with something that requires a bit more project time before it is fully serviceable.

Nevertheless, in the back of my mind, I hear the call, "IT'S A PIG!!" As March comes to an end, the trigger finger itches more and more....

To me Moras are a minor addiction.
I have one in every vehicle and pack and due to the low price point, I never wince about using them.
Just bought the purple/pink 1 for my daughter and an orange one for my son....

The Kellam most comparable to the Mora is the Marttiini with the black plastic handles.
Stainless, cheap. The handles are more comfortable than a Mora. I like them.
The Kellam's are not worth the prices quoted on the Kellam link. You can pick them up cheaper, search the bay.

Back