Mora for Bushcrafting

Which Mora do you recommend for Bushcrafting? Whats the difference in their stainless and carbon steel, aside from the obvious?

Any one of them will do. If you think you have to have a full tang, you’ll have to get the Garberg, although I prefer the Kansbol. But really, I would be well-satisfied with the 510 Allround, even though it is no longer the cheapest Mora.

Carbon is easier to sharpen, tougher and performs better.

Stainless requires less maintenance.

Up to you which one you prefer. I'm personally fan od carbon over stainless.

My "Bushcraft" fixed blade is a Carbon steel Mora Number 1. I pair it with either a large 4 inch plus closed stockman or moose or two blade slipjoint folding hunter and/or Buck 110.
I also have a wire saw, or 24 inch bar chainsaw chain, and/or on my backpack a 24 inch bow saw, and a 2.5 pound axe for "bushcraft".

Bushcraft skills include firecraft, tracking, hunting, fishing, shelter-building, navigation by natural means, the use of tools such as knives and axes, foraging, water sourcing, hand-carving wood, container construction from natural materials, and rope and twine-making, among others.

Bushcraft skills include firecraft, tracking, hunting, fishing, shelter-building, navigation by natural means, the use of tools such as knives and axes, foraging, water sourcing, hand-carving wood, container construction from natural materials, and rope and twine-making, among others.

In two words - cub scouting
:^)

Get 5 or 6 they are cheap, great utility knives. I like the thinner ones better, they make better all around bush & camp knife.

Since they're all cheap knives (and that is not a bad thing), cheap carbo is better than cheap stainless. I can't speak for Mora's stainless but in general I'd rather have a good blade with a little risk of corrosion a than a clean shiny butterknife

Since they're all cheap knives (and that is not a bad thing), cheap carbo is better than cheap stainless. I can't speak for Mora's stainless but in general I'd rather have a good blade with a little risk of corrosion a than a clean shiny butterknife

I can speak for the stainless. I have a couple.
Moras are "inexpensive". But I would not call them "cheap". Butter knives, they are not, no matter whether they are stainless or carbon.
They do a good job with both their stainless and their carbon steel.

Frosts 760 craftsman, used by Ray Mears himself.

hqdefault.jpg

Mora's stainless is fairly similar to AEB-L (most of the sandvik stainless is) which is a very tough stainless steel. Frankly, I think it's a tossup between the carbon and stainless depending on what you like. Both are very easy to sharpen, the carbon probably holds a better edge. I think you're more likely to break the handle than the blade for any tasks besides prying.

Personally, I really like the handle on the companion but I still like the nostalgia of the mora classic, especially after sanding the handle to fit my hand better.

The kansbol is on my want-to-buy list but I've just never sprung for it as I have way too many knives in that size range already. If I didn't already have so many nice knives in that size I would have one. As it stands, I already have the classic in carbon steel and companion in stainless and enjoy them, even more so after convexing them to bring the cheeks in a bit more.

I owned Garberg and Kansbol, but I probably would recommend Mora Bushcraft Survival, I think for the 'package' is a really decent deal. Unless batoning hard wood in cold weather is the only thing you do with the knife, I think the Bushcraft survival is plenty strong, lightweight and perfectly balance in hand.

Back