Mora No.1

Morning folks! I’m new here and I’m a really novice amateur, so sorry in advance for every misunderstanding 😅

I want to buy a Mora blade no1 and make its own wooden handle and leather sheath. It is available in 2 different kind of steel: carbon or laminated. The thing here is that, probably, laminated is a much better steel but it is also much more expensive (2-2,5x), so the answer is this: why to chose a laminated one if I take care of my tools once they are at rest? If the pros are absolute, I’m willing to spend more money for a greater tool.

The laminated one is much more rust resistent and has a more glossy look to it. It’s the more common version on Mora’s factory knives. In my oppinion the carbon steel one is equally good and even looks better.

Making a handle for a blade is substantial work, so you might consider a better blade?

I would suggest a Lauri blade as a better choice? Or even a Puronvarsi?

whatever you choose, make sure to post the finished knife!

The laminated one is much more rust resistent and has a more glossy look to it. It’s the more common version on Mora’s factory knives. In my oppinion the carbon steel one is equally good and even looks better.
Joakim, Thankyou for your answer! So you are saying that if I take care of clean and dry the blade once it’s not in use, substantially the two kinds are almost the same in terms of effectiveness and durability?

Making a handle for a blade is substantial work, so you might consider a better blade?

I would suggest a Lauri blade as a better choice? Or even a Puronvarsi?

whatever you choose, make sure to post the finished knife!
Elgatodeacero, thankyou for your reply! I’m thinking the same. I bought a lauri pt 95 that is about the same price and almost the same in blade length. I really like puronvarsi but their blades are on another level in terms of price. In this situation I‘d like to know if it’s worth to chose for a laminated blade over a carbon in terms of effectiveness and durability, considering that I take care of the blades, cleaning, drying and oiling them after use 🙂

Joakim, Thankyou for your answer! So you are saying that if I take care of clean and dry the blade once it’s not in use, substantially the two kinds are almost the same in terms of effectiveness and durability?
Yes, as the laminated blade also has a carbon steel core, the edge characteristics are basically the same. With good care, they should also last equally long.

I've got two Moras, a 120 and a 122, both are laminated, and they're really, really amazing. For my use(woodworking) they cut like nothing else. Keep in mind, and you can see the full explanation on the Mora website, the laminated blades are hard pressed on rollers to fuse them, so they might have small(in my case, can barely notice) marks on them. I dunno if thats the case for the blank youre purchasing, but I would assume so. Apart from that, they're a solid choice.

Back