Mora Noob Needs Guidance...

I'm wanting to get a Mora knife to use in bushcraft because of all the things I've heard about them. I searched the forums, but can't seem to crack the secret of the Mora.

What is a Mora knife?
Where's the best place I can view their selection?
What would you recommend? Under $100? Under $50? Under $30?
Are they all full tang construction (I prefer full tang knives)?

Thanks guys. I know this has probably been discussed a thousand times.

EDIT: Just realized I posted this on the wrong thread. Can a moderator move it please? I feel stupid. Or old. Or old and stupid.

Last edited:
Hahahahaha, funny :D
Check the auction for Mora knives. The plain old wooden handled Moras are great plain knives. Nuthin to look at but good working knives for cheap.

Best regards

Robin

ragweed forge has a good selection of different styles with pictures and decent descriptions.
most Mora knives are not full tang - but they're good blades regardless, value for price ratio is very high.
they come in carbon, laminated, and stainess. Wood or plastic handles.
my personal favorite is the red, wood handled #2.

Whereever you live you can probably find a $8 - $12 plastic handle mora. I got mine a fishing supply store. if you want the wood handle there is this online auction site I've heard of where you find those for sale a lot.

Mora's, Opinels, Douk Douk's and a coupla more, are the absolute best 'bang-for-the-buck' knives made. They're made from good steel that's easy to sharpen to a scary edge.They're inexpensive (without being cheap, if that makes sense) enough that you can stash one in all your vehicles and bugout bags and still not break the bank.

Don't worry about the stick tang unless you plan on using it for a jack handle or prying the hatch off a tank. You'll probably loose it before you break it. I've got several, among them one from the 50's and one from the 70's that are still going strong.

The folks here like knives of all sorts and some will spend big bucks for knives they really want or like, but we all know deep down that the above mentioned knives are capable of doing most any job that needs a knife.

Another vote for Ragweed Forge.

I'm a pretty well versed morahalic They are great knives for the money.. for the money being the operative word here.. there are no more ful tang moras unless you are looking to spend about a hundred bucks.. but models such as the bushcraft force, the high Q, the top Q or the 511 have 3/4 tangs and I can say they are plenty tough for most applications
ragweed forge, and bens back woods are the best places to find them
they are cheap so get a few to find what ones you like the best
moras will do just about everything excluding heavy work.. I have carved trap triggers shaved feather sticks, made fires, cleaned game and just about every other camp chore possible with them.
I have battoned with them, but under normal circumstances I only do so with smaller wood.
if you are carrying an additional tool for heavy work.. a mora is all the belt knife you need, if you are in a one knife scenario than maybe not

Last edited:
I'm wanting to get a Mora knife to use in bushcraft because of all the things I've heard about them. I searched the forums, but can't seem to crack the secret of the Mora.

What is a Mora knife?
Where's the best place I can view their selection?
What would you recommend? Under $100? Under $50? Under $30?
Are they all full tang construction (I prefer full tang knives)?

Thanks guys. I know this has probably been discussed a thousand times.

EDIT: Just realized I posted this on the wrong thread. Can a moderator move it please? I feel stupid. Or old. Or old and stupid.

Rageweed or Bens backwoods is a good place to buy them. I think the secret is the steel and edge for the money. Someone can buy a bunch and toss them in cars, packs etc etc and never be without a good fixed blade knife. Not many Moras come with a full tang and frankly that's ok.

Back