Mora Vs. Lapin, Helle, etc.

I have heard that some consider Mora knives disposable, but that does not mean that they must be thought of as such. If I bought a knife, it would certainly not be considered disposable no matter how cheap it was. If I could afford to throw it away, I wouldn't buy it.

That said, I believe from the posts here that a higher level of finishing is what really separates Mora and the more expensive puukko-style knife manufacturers. If the steel is comparable, and the general size and shape close, I'm fine with some rough edges that need sanding and a bit of initial sharpening.

If I were to step up, I would likely go with something like the Lapin "Camping" Puukko, and that's double the price of even an "upscale" #137. I would surely like more expensive Puukko-style blades, but I really can't justify them with Mora using basically the same materials, most importantly for the blade.

Reactions: vba
I have heard that some consider Mora knives disposable, but that does not mean that they must be thought of as such. If I bought a knife, it would certainly not be considered disposable no matter how cheap it was. If I could afford to throw it away, I wouldn't buy it.

That said, I believe from the posts here that a higher level of finishing is what really separates Mora and the more expensive puukko-style knife manufacturers. If the steel is comparable, and the general size and shape close, I'm fine with some rough edges that need sanding and a bit of initial sharpening.

If I were to step up, I would likely go with something like the Lapin "Camping" Puukko, and that's double the price of even an "upscale" #137. I would surely like more expensive Puukko-style blades, but I really can't justify them with Mora using basically the same materials, most importantly for the blade.

Ah, thank you. You expressed almost the exact thoughts I had while reading this thread.

This is here in Sweden, but I have come to understand that workers in the USA, mostly use folders and not fixed knives, right?

Regards
Mikael

Had a family member that use to move heavy machinery and other things for a moving company. He carried nothing but folders, so did all his coworkers I met, though he may have occasionally carried a small fixed blade every now and than. The laws where I am don't make an exception for workers to carry fixed blades, and it's up to local laws whether or not their legal as the State laws says it's OK but local is another story and it can get quite annoying to keep up with local laws when you keep going to different locations to for work.

There is also the fact that Knife = Weapon over here especially a fixed blade so that can cause some unwanted run in's with the law even if your lawfully carrying there is bound to be someone who panics and call the cops. If it weren't for the public's perception of knives and how confusing laws could get I would probably have a Mora as a cheap work knife when I know I am going to be using a knife a lot and a smaller fixed blade as an EDC instead of using folding knives which I try to conceal.

People buy MORA knives due to a perception that they give good value. I think they do give good value, but that is neither here nor there.

You pay more and more for each incremental climb up the quality ladder.

Most Nordic knife makers do not chase "super steels." But some custom maker will be happy to use whatever you want.

If, as an extreme example, your life will be on the line, consider that MORA knives are regarded in Sweden as disposable tools.

Yes, the vast majority of all Moras sold every year in Sweden are sold to carpenters, construction workers, plumbers, electricians, painters and so on and they often discard the knife when it gets dull rather than spend any time sharpening it. The regular Moras have never (until recently) been made or marketed as anything else but cheap everyday tools. Some of the most experienced and prominent experts in bushcraft and wilderness survival around the World use them and rate them very highly though, and the same people often also laugh at anything 'tacticool', or anything else that should be filed under the category of 'man toys'. Moras are not quite as robust as crowbars and sledgehammers, and they are certainly not the be all and end all of anything, but they are far more than 'for the money'. They easily outperform many knives that cost many times more money. There are no major gimmicks, form follows function, and the steel is of high and consistent quality. You know what you get when you get a Mora and what you get is consistently sharp and useful tools. Moras are basically the Glocks of the knife world. They are good and they just work. Not only do they work but they work far better than many other makes and models that cost far more, just like the Glock pistols.

If you want to stab a polar bear to death or if you want to use your knife to bend open bank vaults, get something other than a Mora. If you want a good, practical tool that will do what it says on the tin and far more, then get one, or get three. :)

I don't like the Mora handles, or sheathes.
When I want cheap, I go for Marttiini because of the handles & sheaths.

As far as Helle, They look great, work well, have nicer sheathes again. The biggest construction difference is a full tang.
Whether Helle steel is better than Mora steel, I don't know.

but I think they also do a very good marketing job and several outdoor guys on TV use Mora's.

Long before most people outside of Scandinavia and esoteric circles had heard about Moras and Scandinavian style knives in general, people like Mors Kochanski were using and praising Moras, as well as Swedish axes (Gränsfors, Wetterlings, Hults Bruk/Hultafors) and saws (a bow saw is even generally referred to as a 'Swede saw'). Many of these outdoors people have used all sorts of knives over the years and can choose and use basically any edged tool they want, but many still use or come back to the lowly Moras. There is a reason for that. Practical everyday knives have probably more or less looked the same for a thousand years or more in Scandinavia. There is a reason for that other than tradition. The reason is that they work, for real work.

Last edited:
Other than people that insulate pipes etc. most cutting is done with box cutters that have replaceable blades. Folding knives came out at lunch, and that was rare. Not being able to properly sharpen a knife is a big factor in not using them. Plus, you would be considered odd if you used a knife; always answering the question "what are you using a knife for?". We tend to conform to the norm on the job.
I got into knives after I retired. BTW I have 5 Mora's and like fooling with them without a thought about how inexpensive they are.
Just got an F1 and like that one too.

In Sweden nearly all construction workers, painters, plumbers, carpenters and so on carry one or two Moras on their belt or attached somewhere else on their person. That is the reason behind the rather odd button/double attachment thing on the sheaths of the new Craftline Robust and others. They clip two Moras together and carry one that is a bit beat up and dull for more rough work and one that is new and sharp for more precise cutting, or they carry a regular knife version and one of the special craftsman versions for painters, electricans, etc.

I'm a Mora junkie and own a few, I tend to hold them in high regards, but still they're not really trying to win any points for aesthetics, they're just cutting implements. I do enjoy my Helle Safari, and think it's heirloom quality, not to mention it's sporting the one of the sharpest factory edges I've ever felt. Martini is a sort of underdog IMO, the Condor is a great knife within the Mora price range. I'm wanting to try a Mora hatchet for kicks, but am in no hurry. The Scandi grind is what seals the deal for me, it's user friendly AFAIC and lends itself useful in the field.

I'll see what I can do to provide pictures of a mora Vs a lapin (or maybe a lièvre) later this year. ;)

:thumbup: Not many lièvre here en Louisiane, though I would like to contibute this also if I get lucky enough to bust some bunnies. There have been a few come into my garden lately.

Back