Mora with a bad grind??

I bought a carbon Mora 510, and it obvious grind marks on one side of the blade. From the handle forward up until the last 1/2" of the blade, there are grind marks. The marks are about 3/16" up on the blade. The tip end is very sharp, while the rest is not as sharp. So..............

Is this common with these Mora's??
Is this a "get what you pay for" type of thing??
Should I send it back??

What do you guys think?

Scott

Doesn't sound like typical Mora quality control. Are you sure that the knife was sold as new?? If so, I'd send it back. You may want to post pics so that we can actually see the offending blemishes.

My 521 has some kind of machining marks on one side. . . closely spaced, straight parallel lines. I'm not sure if what you're seeing on yours is the same thing or not, but it really doesn't seem to have any negative impact on the functionality of the knife. Mine came reasonably sharp but a little work with red and a green DMT stones made it just about the sharpest knife I've ever owned. I'd say to just keep it and work with it. The marks will eventually vanish after you've sharpened the knife enough. Besides, as Doc pointed out, by the time you send the knife back and get a replacement you'll probably have paid more in shipping than the knife is worth anyway.

Last edited:
I did buy the knife as new from Bensbackwoods, and it is brand new.

I have not contacted Bensbackwoods about it yet because I just opened the package. I will be contacting him/them about the problem.

Pics you say.......I will take some tomorrow since it's my bedtime.

Also, I just check again and verified that the vertical grind marks I'm talking go all the way to the edge.......it's almost like a very fine steak knife. You have to look closely, but you can see it on the edge.

Off to bed......pic's soon.

Scott

Breakthru...we really need to see pics dude. Or...you can just ship it to me and be rid of the lil devil...:)

Ive had similar problems with moras.. after the first good sharpening they are usually top notch... if not than by the second sharpening they have always been good to go.

My 521 has some kind of machining marks on one side. . . closely spaced, straight parallel lines. I'm not sure if what you're seeing on yours is the same thing or not, but it really doesn't seem to have any negative impact on the functionality of the knife. Mine came reasonably sharp but a little work with red and a green DMT stones made it just about the sharpest knife I've ever owned. I'd say to just keep it and work with it. The marks will eventually vanish after you've sharpened the knife enough. Besides, as Doc pointed out by the time you send the knife back and get a replacement you'll probably have paid more in shipping than the knife is worth anyway.

That is exactly what I'm talking about. Good point on the shipping and knife worth.

My marks actualy go to the edge of the blade. I can't feel them on the edge, but I can see them there. I will probably just bite the bullet and keep it. It's not like I'm out a ton of money. ;)

I've noticed those marks on all Frosts Mora blades and knives I've ever bought except the stainless. Never really thought about them before.

It may still be worth while to contact Bens Backwoods. I have bought from them before (I think that's where the 521 I was talking about came from actually) and the service has been great. I haven't had any reason to contact them to complain about anything, but you never know, they may pay for the shipping to make it right or send you a little freebie or something like that. Then again they may not, but it can't hurt to ask.

I've noticed that on all my Mora's and none of them came particularly sharp. They all required a touch up on a ceramic rod to pop hairs.

Um, so what... Mora's are users. Sharpen it and use the heck out of it. Go cut some sod and give the blade some character. Then resharpen it and you won't care about tiny little machine marks.

I've noticed that on all my Mora's and none of them came particularly sharp.

I agree with this. All of my 4-5 Moras needed some work. The bevels were not flat and needed considerable work with a stone to make flat (and then sharpen properly).

Once I got them flat they sharpened up easily and are great.

We need to see pictures.

If you mean grind marks as in clearly visible clean, thin straight lines on the blade, well, that's more the rule than the exception with Moras. These things aren't exactly beauty queens in terms of fit and finish.

If you mean grind marks as in clearly visible and very deep, rough looking wide scratches on the blade, then something's not quite right.

But, pics.

It's a Mora, though. Throwing it in a dumpster and getting a new one would be a lot faster and cheaper than sending it back. At least in this country it would be. And they don't have a warranty anyway.

My 521 has some kind of machining marks on one side. . . closely spaced, straight parallel lines.
Yeah, those are quite common. For some reason I feel like I've seen them mostly on wood handle mora. From my experience they don't affect use.

Last edited:
I had these lines on my 3 Frosts as well. The Lauri blades being the most severe in my experience. A good sharpening or two and they are gone and you have a very sharp blade.

Back