More 1084 weirdness

I think some of you who are questioning the hardenability of steel you have already should just use the HT schedule on NJSB's website and see if it works. There are LOTS of people using this and relatively few reports of issues. Don't forget JT's sample size is much bigger than us a few blades a month people.

I think some of you who are questioning the hardenability of steel you have already should just use the HT schedule on NJSB's website and see if it works. There are LOTS of people using this and relatively few reports of issues. Don't forget JT's sample size is much bigger than us a few blades a month people.
I have followed their exact HT recommendation after double and triple checking both my oven and hardness tester. Still did not get acceptable results. 30s/40s/and spotty. Like JTs sample, there were some parts that were in the 60s. I will never buy from NJSB again unless they can prove they have solved all of these problems.

I'm certainly not suggesting that anyone should use anything that doesn't do what they want it to do. Just that if you haven't had a problem, maybe you shouldn't assume you will.

I’ve personally had issues with their w2 and 1075. I’ve double checked my oven with separate pyrometers/thermocouples so I know where my oven fluctuates (the front and back). Not to mention using other supplier’s steel and getting optimal results.
Where there’s smoke there’s fire.

I'm certainly not suggesting that anyone should use anything that doesn't do what they want it to do. Just that if you haven't had a problem, maybe you shouldn't assume you will.

Either way it is unacceptable. There needs to be more accountability. I may as well go out and buy a bunch of old saw blades to make knives from.

Last edited:
Did you folks that got bad steel send it back and ask for a refund? Wouldn't that provide the accountability necessary?

If I recall correctly, the vendor in question cast dispersions on some pretty talented makers and their equipment in the past.
A refund does nothing to recoup losses of many manhours in trying to use questionable steel.

I have followed their exact HT recommendation after double and triple checking both my oven and hardness tester. Still did not get acceptable results. 30s/40s/and spotty. Like JTs sample, there were some parts that were in the 60s. I will never buy from NJSB again unless they can prove they have solved all of these problems.

how many blades did you do? If you wouldn’t mind sending one blade to me I will surface grind and etch. As well as get me a copy of your receipt.l, I’m collecting data.

As a hobbyist knifemaker about all I can do is test every blade before I send it out. I guess it's a good thing I only do edge quench blades now, so all I really care is that the edge got hard and I can pretty well test that myself.

Last edited:
Back