More camera help!

Monofletch

Basic Member
My wife has been using a Nikon Coolpix for a while. She takes pictures and videos my daughters playing sports. Our anniversary is coming and I would like to upgrade her camera.
It needs to be “point and shoot” or easy to operate. We are not camera experts!!
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

I have been using and abusing a Coolpix Aw110(waterproof - shockproof, GPS, etc.) for some time now and it works very well for day to day use and can take a beating. I have been recently checking out the Coolpix Aw130. Both are 16mp but the main upgrade for me would be the direct cable charging and not having to carry an additional charger. The general user experience would be similar as most of the menus are the same across the coolpix series. The only other option I am looking at for a point and shoot would be the Olympus Tough TG-5. They are both very compact with plenty of features. It is also nice to be able to use them in most any condition and simply hose them down when they roll in the grime. Here's a simple search that will give you a one vs the other comparison... There are also several videos out there highlighting / comparing the two.

https://www.google.com/search?ei=mg...3......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71.HgKbwky41EQ

Good luck!

We had the Coolpix and it wasn't right for us. We cussed it quite a bit. Then our young daughter crammed the card in backwards and solved that problem for us. We replaced it with a Canon Rebel and have never looked back. I could run a SLR from back in the 35mm days but the wife couldn't and it was easy and fast for her to learn and to use. We use it for product pics for our business and also our daughter started playing basketball in the sixth grade. Turned out she was good and ended up playing year round on club teams as well as school and played in college. So Mom took lots of pics. The advantage of the SLR like the Rebel (guess they are called DLRs nowadays) is the interchangeable lens. Cause after that anniversary there is coming Christmas and then there is the Bdays. Say your girls are playing soccer, a simple relatively inexpensive 70-300 zoom will really make your pics a lot better than a point and shoot camera.

Durability has been great. We have a cattle ranch and many of our product pics are shot there while things are being used. This camera has been through a lot of dust, dirt, jostling, rain, snow, heat, horseback use etc and is still going strong and its been in about a thousand different gyms shooting basketball. Might give er a try.

Simple product pic:

nw8ShN9.jpg

In the dust:

ZRlAvL8.jpg

Live action using that zoom:

24AmzAi.jpg

hTvoa8w.jpg

Oh heck yeah forgot to mention that. It sure does.

Thank you. I was interested in going that direction because she love to take pictures and videos. Now I have to sell a couple knives!!

Back