more glass breaker goodness!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is; quite possibly, one of the stupidest idea for a handgun I've seen.

The floor plate will catch on everything. Besides, you don't want to hit anything with the bottom of a mag. The guide rod - REALLY? Bad idea. I saw someone put their hand through a window of a house by striking with the muzzle of a pistol. Knocked it out of battery and cut his hand BAD. Not to mention it marred the finish.

It's not like they're used for routine glass breakers. They're used for busting a car window when you have a suspect in your sights... You've never seen police officers bust a vehicle side window out by ramming it with the barrel of their pistol? When you've got someone drawn down on during a traffic stop for failure to comply, and they won't roll down their window, it's a quick and effective way to bust the window out without having to lower your weapon and risk taking a bullet. I think the guide rod breaker is a decent idea.

It's not like they're used for routine glass breakers. They're used for busting a car window when you have a suspect in your sights... You've never seen police officers bust a vehicle side window out by ramming it with the barrel of their pistol? When you've got someone drawn down on during a traffic stop for failure to comply, and they won't roll down their window, it's a quick and effective way to bust the window out without having to lower your weapon and risk taking a bullet. I think the guide rod breaker is a decent idea.

I agree. Having been in situation where there was no way in hell I was going to lower my gun, but had to break the window...I can see a niche use for this. Also I'm not too fond of people covering me by shooting through glass. Shooting through glass is a crap "shoot" at best. Also having been on the receiving end of some rounds coming through glass that absolutely went ape-shit when they hit the glass. Anyways, I agree the mag base plate is a bad idea, but the guide rod is ok. I actually like the piece that attached to the whole front of the pistol to prevent it from going out of battery if you had to strike with it. Maybe something like that with a glass breaker tip would be better.

Either way, its such a niche item, like dismounted traffic clearing in Sadr City from 2004-2005 kind of thing, that I would never buy one.

H

I respectfully disagree! No Law enforcement agency in my area is teaching this technique that I'm aware of. Probablly for many reasons. I forsee an AD resulting in an excessive use of force complaint or a stove piped weapon (malfunction) rendering it useless. A firearm is a firearm. Use a glassbreaker for breaking glass. If someone needs to be shot it can be done through the glass. If your worried about taking a round seek cover and dont get that close. Remember SWAT stands for Sit, wait, and Talk these days. Don't get all worked up over deflection of the round either. Try it sometime, neglegible effect on the balistics at that range.

Better yet use your glassbreaker on the end of your DPX HEST folder for such a purpose with lethal cover from your partner! :thumbup:

EDIT: I'd also stay away from those "glass breaker base plates" as well. The polymer mags are meant to withstand impact such as that. I could see the polymer cracking (doubtfull but I wouldnt chance it) will all your rounds spilling out the bottom. Might be a little embarrassing as well....

I respectfully disagree! No Law enforcement agency in my area is teaching this technique that I'm aware of. Probablly for many reasons. I forsee an AD resulting in an excessive use of force complaint or a stove piped weapon (malfunction) rendering it useless. A firearm is a firearm. Use a glassbreaker for breaking glass. If someone needs to be shot it can be done through the glass. If your worried about taking a round seek cover and dont get that close. Remember SWAT stands for Sit, wait, and Talk these days. Don't get all worked up over deflection of the round either. Try it sometime, neglegible effect on the balistics at that range.

Better yet use your glassbreaker on the end of your DPX HEST folder for such a purpose with lethal cover from your partner! :thumbup:

EDIT: I'd also stay away from those "glass breaker base plates" as well. The polymer mags are meant to withstand impact such as that. I could see the polymer cracking (doubtfull but I wouldnt chance it) will all your rounds spilling out the bottom. Might be a little embarrassing as well....

I'm not saying it's taught, I'm saying it happens. I've seen at least a handful of traffic stops videos where the police officer used the muzzle of his weapon to bust out glass. Busting the window is not done to keep bullet trajectory from changing, it's done so you can access the driver or occupant without having to lower your weapon. There are plenty of cases where an officer is at the window talking to the driver, and suddenly things change, causing the officer to draw his weapon. I won't argue the pros or cons. I'm just saying that it's been done. As for the comment of using the glass breaker on a knife while under cover from your partner, there are many departments that do not run with partners. The Highway Patrol being one of them. No chance of accidental discharge if your finger isn't on the trigger, which all officers should be trained not to do until ready to fire.

Last edited:
I'm not saying it's taught, I'm saying it happens. I've seen at least a handful of traffic stops videos where the police officer used the muzzle of his weapon to bust out glass. Busting the window is not done to keep bullet trajectory from changing, it's done so you can access the driver or occupant without having to lower your weapon. There are plenty of cases where an officer is at the window talking to the driver, and suddenly things change, causing the officer to draw his weapon. I won't argue the pros or cons. I'm just saying that it's been done. As for the comment of using the glass breaker on a knife while under cover from your partner, there are many departments that do not run with partners. The Highway Patrol being one of them. No chance of accidental discharge if your finger isn't on the trigger, which all officers should be trained not to do until ready to fire.

Agreed that it does happen; but it shouldn't, at least not in LE. The military is a different ball game. Again, here on the east coast it is not taught as the technique has numerous flaws for perp and officer safety. Now to address it's done so you can access the driver or occupant without having to lower your weapon. That would mean your reaching out with your weapon to smash the window and subsequently grab the perp. 1) Too close for me-I forsee a wrestling match over your weapon ensuing. 2) Attempting to reholster while wrestling with a perp (in your example also by yourself). No thanks....

Partners- not here either. Wait for you backup! What's the friggin hurry? Very few cases are of that urgency level to go it alone.

Additionally it does increase the chance of an AD. Not just by a "finger on the trigger" but this scenario could lead to a sympathetic response leading to an AD. Techniques such as this used in LE get cops killed and bad guys shot by accident resulting in excessive use of force complaints. That again is why it is not taught here on the east coast. 1911 style weapons, glock safe action pistols and the like also are basically cocked and ready to fire. The force to break a window could very well lead to an AD. I could go on and on but Im hear to read and learn about knives...;)

I would venture a guess that most of the guys practicing this "technique" are dinosaurs. The same guys you see running up to the car on a felony stop, surrounding the vehicle, all pointing guns at one another, to drag out a skell for a property crime who just might shoot your ass on the run up. Not smart. Were trying to reduce this behavior; train it out. Not intice folks with a new gadget not T&E'ed (I assume). People are funny- Make a product black in color and call it Tactical - they will buy it. :confused:

Anyway, to each their own. I just suggest making informed decisions based upon experience and forthought. Ultimately it is your decision; if you use this product-be safe my friend. Please understand, I'm not trying to argue with you; I just think this product is a total FAIL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back