more kitchen knives received - pics soon!

Hi Sal,

The three Masahiro metal handled knives arrived yesterday.
smile.gif
I just glanced at them briefly and looked them over quickly last nite.

My initial impression was "WOW - these don't weight anything"! Nice thin blade with traditional shapes. I didn't have a change to use them, or take pictures. I will get to that later tonight.

BTW - when I opened the box and started pouring out those recycled egg crate like cups, I was LMAO....thinking, OK - Spyderco played a joke on me and send me a big ol' empty box.
smile.gif
Packing weighed almost more than the knives.
biggrin.gif

Thanks for sending more knives - I think I need more than two weeks with these.
smile.gif
The 270mm one is a MONSTER!
biggrin.gif

------------------
Ray 'md2020'

[This message has been edited by maddog2020 (edited 02-16-2000).]

Here is a pic of the three Masahiro kitchen knives:
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=90079&a=1247487&p=16518290&Sequence=1

The blade lengths are 150mm, 240mm and 270mm.
Box reads " Molybdenum Vanadium Stainless Steel." The handles are hollow with raised angular ribs which are stamped, and have been bead blasted for an improved grip. The handles have rounded corners so they were comfortable to hold even at palm of my hand. The balance of the knife is very good - it doesn't feel tip heavy even with the 270mm monster.
smile.gif
Blades are flat ground, and are ~2mm thick back towards the handle.

The 150mm knife was a joy to use on the hard veggies - very nice slicer!
smile.gif
My wife was in awe at the 270mm blade - doubt she will touch it....LOL. I couldn't find an excuse to use the 240mm, or 270mm, so I will have to report on those later. IMHO, most folks will do best with kitchen knives under the 210mm range for standard use.

These handles have a superb grip even when wet, the raised stamping are a nice feature. These are the most comfortable metal handled kitchen knives I have held. For some one with large, or small hands the handle is great.
smile.gif

I will post a bit later after I used them for a little while. More to follow!

Sal, thanks for sending me these to test - its like Christmas again!
biggrin.gif

------------------
Ray 'md2020'

Yeah ray.. u can slice and dice with em, but how are they for cuttin pizza!? huh? no answer? get to work!!!!
smile.gif

How about for tin cans?This is a need in my house!!
wink.gif

------------------
Jay
Life is like a box of chocolates,never know what your gona git!

Ray - The steel is MBS-26. I'll be gone for several weeks for the IWA Show in Germany. You can paly with them until I get back (mid March).

These (and about 6 other sizes & models) were available at SFO as a close out. Don't know if any are left.

sal

Sal, (Angela U can remind him.....LOL)

I will be mailed back the three kitchen knives after work today. I appreciate the extra time using them.
smile.gif

I might have used the 270mm once - way too BIG IMHO, the 240mm saw very light use, and the shorty 150mm saw the most use. My wife and I used the 150mm for 85% of our kitchen needs.

Initially I thought the Hattori sushi style knife was the BEST, but the 150mm Masahiro is an excellant knife as well. Given a choice of the two, I would have to pick the smaller 150mm hands down. The thin edge and belly shape on the Masahiro's are an awesome combination!

I am generally not a big fan of metal handles, BUT I found the Masahiro's to be the most ergonomic, and to offer the best control of the knife.

If these were offered in a local cutlery store I would buy the 150mm without hesitation REGARDLESS of price.

Ready for some more to try out when you get around to having some sent out. My wife and I love using all of the kitchen knives so far.

Thanks again.
smile.gif

------------------
Ray 'md2020'

Back