More Ramblings and CRKT Questions

Boy, the more I use this CRKT Crawford/Kasper, the more I love it! It’s really very comfortable, even with my extra-long fingers. I have this skinny hand, with extra-terrestrial looking fingers (The day I die, a bunch of doctors are gonna’ have a field day doing an alien autopsy on me). I only wish that the smaller size Crawford/Kasper didn’t have that little notch where your pinky rests. It’s probably just right on the larger model, but kind of gets in the way on the smaller sized one. This isn’t a big deal, but just a minor quibble from a knife neophyte with less than human hands.

I also tried tying on a lanyard attachment to the Crawford/Kasper this weekend, and had a small problem. The lanyard hole in the handle is in kind of a funky spot, running closer to the non-blade side of the handle than the end. I ended up having to make the initial loop (before the hangman’s knot) a bit larger than usual to make the lanyard attachment hang over the back of the handle. With a smaller loop, the lanyard would get in the way of my hand’s grip. Just an extra-tiny neophyte’s quibble though.

So anyways, I have a quick question on the Crawford/Kasper. When the knife is closed, the blade as a tad crooked in relationship to the liners. It’s not quite touching one side, but still bugs me. Can I cure this just by taking off the pocket clip and fiddling with the pivot screw tensions? Or do I have to do a major disassembly and bending of parts? I think I have some torx screwdrivers around work here somewhere.

Overall though, I’m really impressed by the Crawford/Kasper. The knife is just built like a tank for the price. The wife had me doing all sorts of chores yesterday, so I managed to find a whole mess of reasons for playing with it. I was cutting up boxes, vegetables, bread, blister pack packaging, you name it. The blade ate through everything it came in contact with, and still stayed quite sharp. I know that AUS6 is looked down on by many, but works pretty well for average duty use.

If I’m even half as impressed by my Carbon Fibre M-16 when it arrives tomorrow, I’ll be a very happy camper. Okay, that brings me to another question. The Carbon Fibre M-16 shows as using AUS118 steel. Does anybody know anything about AUS118? I hear a lot of mention about various steels on this forum, but the AUS118 is never mentioned. Is CRKT the only one using it, or does AUS118 go by a more common name?

I’m really getting into this knife thing now, and even have something new to talk to the guys at work about. One buddy at work had a giant Shrade lockback, which was used extensively for cutting cable along with a hammer. It had a monster nick in the blade. I brought in the new Lansky sharperner this morning, and my buddy is very happy. His Shrade’s blade is completely reprofiled and has a new lease on life.
smile.gif

I've noticed the same crookedness in the blade on my KFF. I don't think it's the pivot tension, since the blade has exactly zero blade wobble. It's smooth as glass, but solid too. Mine's the big one, a real monster.
smile.gif
I have big hands too, and it fits them really nice. It's one of the only folding knives I have that truly fills my hand. The only thing I don't like is the raised locking liner. It digs into my index finger when I grip it tightly. I'm thinking about grinding it down nearly flush, like the liner in my M-16.

Buzzbait,
The CRKT Kasper is a LOT of knife for the money. I have a custom version by Pat and the CRKT version is quite faithful in its reproduction. The problem you describe is not uncommon in a lot of knives. I have found a few things that work for me;

1- You might just tighten it up a bit. That will sometimes work to straighten her up.
2- If that don't do it then slightly loosen the pivot, open the knife and CAREFULLY press the blade TOWARDS the side it is almost touching. Grasp the entire length of the blade when you do this. Do not push away from the side it almost touches in the closed position.
3- Still no success? Then you can disassemble. This is not as difficult as it may sound. Just be sure to use the correct torx bit. Hex bits may strip the heads. When you do this you are just realigning the blade. Pay attention as you disassemble and it should not be a problem to reassemble.

Hope this helps you. Let us know how it turns out.

BTW I know nothing on the other question. Sorry.

------------------
Art Sigmon
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Php. 4:13

"For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword"
Heb. 4:12

Buzzbait,
The CRKT Kasper is a LOT of knife for the money. I have a custom version by Pat and the CRKT version is quite faithful in its reproduction. The problem you describe is not uncommon in a lot of knives. I have found a few things that work for me;

1- You might just tighten it up a bit. That will sometimes work to straighten her up.
2- If that don't do it then slightly loosen the pivot, open the knife and CAREFULLY press the blade TOWARDS the side it is almost touching. Grasp the entire length of the blade when you do this. Do not push away from the side it almost touches in the closed position.
3- Still no success? Then you can disassemble. This is not as difficult as it may sound. Just be sure to use the correct torx bit. Hex bits may strip the heads. When you do this you are just realigning the blade. Pay attention as you disassemble and it should not be a problem to reassemble.

Hope this helps you. Let us know how it turns out.

BTW I know nothing on the other question. Sorry.

------------------
Art Sigmon
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Php. 4:13

"For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword"
Heb. 4:12

If you haven't seen it yet, look at the thread near the top in this forum about Acuto 440. Be sure to follow the link provided by Walt Welch, and when there, follow the link to CRKT's description of their steels.

Bugs

Gonna try that out on my CRKT point guard when I get home.

Thanks
Red

------------------
"Praise not the day until evening has come;a sword until it is tried; ice until it has been crossed; beer until it has been drunk" - Viking proverb

Back