More sadness, the loss of a giant collector..

I was speaking with Tim George today about a project, and he informed me that Dr. Suzuki, of Japan recently passed away. Dr. Suzuki had amassed the largest collection of Steve Hoel knives on the planet, (many engraved, over 300) as well as knives from other outstanding makers. He was in the process of placing his entire collection online, which although incomplete is absolutely stunning. Although I had never met or spoken with him, I had read about him and admired his style and collection. For those of you interested, it can be viewed at www.coolcustomknives.com. It would be an honor to the man's passion, and I'm sure that, while in a different place he would be most happy to share it with all.

Lorien

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
wow, amazing collection

rio

Gold Member
man that is an impresive collection, rest in peace.

ddd

Dr. Makoto Suzuki was a very successful dentist and an avid custom knife collector.
Over the years, he accumulated an amazing collection of modern custom knives.
His passion was for Steve Hoel folders, of which he had several hundreds in his collection...
He sent many of these knives to be engraved by the greatest engravers in Europe
and in the USA

He also supplied the knife pictures for Steve Hoel's 8 page section in my first book
on modern custom knives "...Custom Folding Knives".

Here is one of these folders, a Two blade Trapper (made in 1983)
The folder has a 416 steel frame, heat treated to 28 Rc and an ATS-34 blade, heat treated to 60 Rc.
It has filework on blades and springs and has Australian Silver-Lip Mother of Pearl inlays.
Overall length 7 1/2" (188 mm).

I shall always remember him as a warm and kind gentleman.

All the best,
David Darom (ddd)

picture.JPG

Last edited: