more state knife laws

I recently replied to a post about knife laws saying I had info on Ill., Ind., Iowa and Louisanna knife laws for those who wanted to e-mail me.

The response has prompted me to post those statutes here. Hopefully they will be of some interest. A cautionary note: these are the latest statutes according to my research but I am not an attorney or legislator. Check your own state and local laws with your state's or city attorney if you really need to know. Like steel, information is an effective weapon.

BTW, check Shootist16's post on Tennessee laws!

ILLINOIS STATUTES
Illinois 720 ILCS 5/24-1
Unlawful use of weapons (a) A person commits the offense of unlawful use of weapons when he knowingly (1) Sells, manufactures, purchases, possesses or carries any knife commonly referred to as a switchblade, which has a blade that opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in the handle of the knife, or a ballistic knife, which is a device that propels a knifelike blade as a projectile by means of a coil spring, elastic material or compressed gas.

720 ILCS 5/33 A-1:
A person is considered armed with a dangerous weapon when he carries on or about his person or is otherwise armed with a Category I or II weapon.

A Category II weapon is a (firearm or) a knife with a blade at least 3 inches long, dagger, dirk, switchblade, stiletto or any other deadly or dangerous weapon of like character.

720 ILCS 5/24-1:
(a) A person commits the offense of unlawful use of weapons when he knowingly:...
(2) Carries or possesses with intent to use the same unlawfully against another a dagger, dirk, billy, dangerous knife, razor, stiletto, broken bottle...

720 ILCS 545/1 Sec. 1:
It is unlawful for any person to board or attempt to board any commercial or charter aircraft, having in his possession any firearm, explosive of any type or other lethal or dangerous weapon.

INDIANA STATUTES
Indiana 35-47-5-2:
A knife with an automatically opening blade is prohibited. It is a Class "B" misdemeanor for a person to manufacture, possess, display, offer, sell, lend, give away or purchase any knife with a blade that opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in the handle of the knife.

IC 35-47-7-1
Sec. 1. Every case of a bullet wound, gunshot wound, powder burn, or any other injury arising from or caused by the discharge of a firearm, and every case of a wound which is likely to or may result in death and is actually or apparently inflicted by a KNIFE, ice pick, or other sharp or pointed instrument, shall be reported at once to the law enforcement authorities of the county, city, or town in which the person reporting is located by either the physician attending or treating the case, or by the manager, superintendent, or other person in charge if the case is treated in a hospital, clinic, sanitarium, or other facility or institution. A person who violates this section commits a Class A misdemeanor.
As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

IOWA KNIFE LAWS
Crime Control and Criminal Acts Section 724.1
Offensive Weapons 5. A ballistic knife. A ballistic knife is a knife with a detachable blade propelled by a spring-operated mechanism, elastic material or compressed gas.
Section 724.3
Any person who knowingly possesses an offensive weapon commits a Class "D" felony (also see Section 724.4 Carrying weapons).

LOUSIANNA KNIFE LAWS
Louisianna R.S. 14:95
Illegal carrying of weapons is (4) The manufacture, ownership, possession, custody or use of any switchblade, spring knife or other knife or similar instrument having a blade which may be automatically unfolded or extended from a handle by the manipulation of a button, switch, latch or similar contrivance.

Hope this proves helfully. What I'd really like to see gathered here is up-to-date statutes concerning knives from all 50 states, Canada and Mexico. I think it would be a educational service to all Forum members. It would, however, take a certain amount of care to insure accuracy, perhaps including links to the source materials where possible.

------------------
Life is a journey, not a guided tour -- GO ARMED!
-->BLADE

[This message has been edited by Blade (edited 25 August 1999).]

Thanks for the link, now only 44 states to go (counting Shootist16's thread)

------------------
-->BLADE

Just found an interesting link to a summary of Switchblade laws for 15 states that appeared in Blade Magazine.

Here's the link http://www.knife.com/faqs/law11.htm

------------------
-->BLADE

Back