Moro Barong

Hi guys,

I was thinking of buying me a Moro Barong to play with. I found two dealers that carry them, Kris Cutlery and Visayan Legacy. Has anyone done business with them? How good are their products? Thanks in advance for your responses.

Christian

Hi Christian,

I believe both companies offer an array of models from training to display. I own several items which I believe are from the same supplier Visayan Legacy deals with in the Philippines. I have also seen some products from Kris Cutlery but IMO find Edges2 product line to be the BEST quality for training blades and swords. JMO...of course.

Yours in the Arts,

John G. Jacobo
BAKBAKAN North American Director www.bakbakan.com

I have a Kris Cutlery Dungon Bolo. It arrived sharp and well finished. It feels about as heavy as a hardwood stick. I do baic movements(snap and draw cuts and some cut throughs) with it to avoid accidentally removing a body part!! I don't have the Barong, so I can't give a review, but I can tell you that my bolo is well made. By the way, Kris Cutlery also makes some nice, heavy fighting sticks(kamagong, yakal, etc.)!

------------------
K. Williams
kel620@aol.com
Modern Arnis Student

I don't usually like to meddle in other peoples business, but this is an issue that bothers me and some of my muslim philippino friends. I am sure nobody ment any insult, but are you aware that the word moro is a deragatory word. It is like calling a black person the N word. Many of the northern philippinos use it as if it were a regular word, but it is actually very insulting. (Even saying Mo** Keris or M**o Barong is insulting) I am certain that most people do not understand the true nature of the word and I wouldn't say anything if it were not so offensive. I had one friend who learned Kali from some northern Philippino WWII vet's when he was young. They used to say "This is a m**o technique." or "We learned this directly from the Mo**s." Later when he went to train in Negros, Mindanou and regions further south he learned the hard way. He was nearly killed. Can you imagine walking into downtown Philidelphia or the Bronx and asking where you could learn more ni**er boxing techniques. If you feel the same way I do about rascism you may want to start saying "southern Philippino" or whatever other term you can think of. Maybe you'll even want to let your friends training partners and instructor's know. If you don't care or don't have the marbles to let them know, then that is your problem. Undoubtedly their are going to be a whole host of northern Philippino "instructors" that will never stop using this hurtfull term, most of whom teach absolute garbage anyway. (were you aware that a good deal of northern Pilipinos will not associate with you if they find out you are a muslim or you come from the south? If they find out they either treat you like you have the plague or they try to convert you from a "godless life") Many instructors who don't mean any harm either don't know or have succumbed to using this term because it has become the industry standard term that everyone understands. I would like to slowly begin changing that. I hope I didn't step on anyones toes I just want to bring the issue to light.
Salamat

salamat:

Thank you. I was unaware of the baggage the term carried. What would be a neutral term to refer to the same people?

student

I heard that it was the Spanish word for Moors, used indiscriminately to refer to any dark-skinned Muslim peoples. What do the Muslims of the Southern Phillipines call themselves? I wouldn't want to willfully offend any group of people.

[This message has been edited by the Khazar Kid (edited 05 December 1999).]

I did not mean any offense. I also heard that the word Moro may be derogatory, but I was not aware that it was still considered as such. I know that at least some Muslims in the Philippines are not offended by the term Moro, otherwise why would they use it? Remember the MNLF(Moro National Liberation Front)?

Wow...I didn't know that either. I thought that was the name of their people like American, Canadian, etc. What is/are the correct name(s) for the people of the southern Philippine islands, if any? Or do they just call themselves Filipinos?

------------------
K. Williams
kel620@aol.com
Modern Arnis Student

Hey Kelvin,

The word Muslim is the preferred word use in the Philippines instead of M___. Or yet just use the word Filipino. It's like saying the N word instead of Black.

As far as MNLF, it's the same. Blacks don't get offended when they say the N word to each other or call themselves w/ the N word (as in NWA: N______ With Attitude - the rap group) Same as for the Filipino Muslim people, MNLF.

Rommel

[This message has been edited by Rommel (edited 06 December 1999).]

Back