Mosaic damascus bowie and a pair of hunters by Nick Wheeler

If you wanted to have an instant knife collection you could do a whole lot worse than these three.

First up - a mosaic damascus bowie with stag handle and blued fittings (all photos by Mitch Lum):

orig.jpg

Next a pair of hunters - one damascus, the other carbon steel, one short choil, the other long. Both gorgeous!

orig.jpg

Wish I could say that any of these three were mine. :grumpy:

Roger

Man those are beautiful! I can't think of anything else to say...rare for me.

Hmmmm - That first one looks kinda like laddered "w's" to me. Now how did I know that (grin)? You nailed all of those dead on Nick!

Thanks Roger! Mitch did a great job with these shots...he just keeps getting better.

The first one is a 6.5" of blade. The billet was 8 layers of W's that I twisted, then took it to Bill's to press in a ladder pattern, and then Bill made me real jealous by showing me how his BIG mill can mill off the tops of the billet! :)

I forged it really close to shape, and REALLY distorted the pattern, but that's okay ;) 120 layer twist damascus fittings and Sambar stag.

The hunters- One is 1084 w/600x finish, 416 fittings, and stabilized Eucalyptus burl (from Alpha Knife Supply)

The other is a loose ladder pattern (~300 layers of 1084/15N20), 416 guard, and Ironwood handle. I was very fortunate to be awarded Best Hunter at the BAKCA show in August with this one.

Thanks for looking guys! I really appreciate the kind words!

-Nick-

Looking gooooood!

I really like the damascus hunter. I see the 'pull' on the handle and I like a shorter choil. For all I know, the longer choil may be more effective when you are actually using these regularly, but my eyeballs simply like the ratio better. :cool:

Mitch, you done good. Clean and sharp. :)

Nick, you done good. Clean and sharp. ;)

Coop

awesome work. might be the cleanest little carbon steel hunter ive seen, hats off to ya Nick! GREAT photo work too.

Nick,

Great knives as always. The little carbon hunter stands out in my eye as perhaps the favorite small blade of yours I have seen (outside the "Blademan Special" of course ;) ). Nice blade shape and you nailed the handle.

That bowie could certainly draw attention to itself. A little "loud" for my tastes but a beauty nonetheless.

Not much to say about the damascus hunter other than it kicks ass. I can see how the judges were swayed in their decision.

Back