Mosaic damascus & ivory bowie by Ed Caffrey, MS

Ed Caffrey is a maker whose knives I have long admired. One of the primary attractions to his work is the fact that he has accomplished something that eludes many: his knives have a very distinctive style. Many a time have I seen knives ranging from elaborately decorated folders, to presentation grade bowies, to simple, functional hunters and said to myself “that’s a Caffrey” without needing to refer to the maker’s mark. I recently had the opportunity to add one of his terrific bowies to my collection. Here are some pics for your viewing pleasure.

orig.jpg

This knife features a mosaic damascus blade that is just a shade under 9 inches, with an overall length just under 14 inches. The handle is a beautiful piece of fossil walrus ivory, showing a range of colours from cream, to caramel to chocolate brown – almost good enough to eat!

orig.jpg

The elegant S-guard features heat-blued and textured mild steel, with the half-pennies forged-in. The file-worked butt cap matches the colour and texture of the guard. If you look closely at the first picture, you will see that the frog button on the first-rate scabbard is also heat-blued and textured to match the fittings of the knife itself. So often it is the little thoughtful touches like this that set a knife apart.

orig.jpg

The blade itself deserves a closer look. It is forged from a blend 1084 and 15N20 steels, combining between 9 and 12 bars to produce a fascinating checkerboard mosaic. Each “window” shows one of a variety of swirls, whorls, rolls, starbursts and stripes in a repeating pattern. Here is a closer look:

orig.jpg

Ed describes this knife as a fighter / bowie and it certainly resides comfortably in either camp. The knife has a quick and responsive feel in the hand that befits the fighter designation, but also conveys a sense a strength and solidity (and sufficient blade width) that puts it right at home with my bowies as well. The knife features a true through-tang construction, with the end of the tang threaded through a small nut on the end of the butt cap.

I’ll wrap up by saying that I could not be more pleased with this knife and scabbard. Everything about it – from the flowing design to the complex mosaic blade, to the first rate materials and flawless fit and finish make this piece a real joy to have and hold. Here’s one more pic – this one by the maker:

orig.jpg

Cheers,

Roger

That is a great knife, and I rarely like mosaic patterns.
I have a Caffrey ebk, it is one of my favorite knives!

Nice score Roger, great pics as usual - thats one classy collection you have going there.

Cheers,

Stephen

Roger, that bowie is super gorgeous. I have no idea what you had to pay for it, but I think it was worth it. I can almost guarantee that Ed had to pay about $400 for that chunk of awesome ivory. I have a much smaller piece of ivory, with almost the same kind of colors. My piece is only big enough for maybe a 6" bladed bowie, and it cost me almost $200. I think you got your money's worth.

Thanks very much for the comments guys! Danbo - the ivory was what attracted me first to this knife.

Cheers,

Roger

Back