Most Eco-Friendly Knife?

Ok, I know, weird topic, but humor me. I have a good friend who is about as crunchy, Granola, tree-hugging as they come. Now, while I don't want a national park to be bulldozed into a parking lot for a Wal-Mart, I'm not nearly as sensitive to the "green" issues as he is. His birthday is coming up and I want to get him an EDC knife, but I want it to be one that has "green" credentials, if you will. Something manufactured in a way that is sustainable, with a minimal use of non-renewable resources. It should also last a long time, and of course I want it to be a quality knife for him. Since he doesn't carry a knife at the moment, I'm pretty sure his use will be light/medium cutting tasks only.

When I'm looking at the big picture, I figure it should use metal or wood extensively, not much plastic, and preferably be made in the USA to cut down on energy used for transportation. On the other hand, I know some European companies that have been around a long time are pretty efficient with materials and manufacturing.

My initial thoughts were the Buck 110 or 112, an Opinel, Douk Douk, or maybe a traditional pattern like a sodbuster.

And yes, I recognize the irony of asking which knife is the best at saving trees, while other threads ask which knife chops through trees best:D

Probably one that uses an old car leaf spring for the metal and is forged to shape. But probably not a coal fueled forge. Wonder if anyone uses charcoal?

To follow on from FlaMtnBkr's suggestion, how about getting him a small FB forged locally from re-cycled steel?

Reduce, reuse, recycle. So, a small fixed blade forged from a leaf spring with a handle made from hardwood recovered from old furniture fits the bill.
It also sounds like a fun backyard project. With skill it could even be beautiful. A leather sheath is renewable but probably unacceptable, so perhaps a canvas (hemp fiber?) sheath.

Maybe a custom made knife from salvaged material? A small custom maker is bound to be more 'eco-friendly' than any manufacturer... :thumbup:

You get the whole 'grass-roots' angle as well... :D

The Wenger EvoWood line of SAKs use walnut that is responsibly sourced, quote: "The handles for each of these pocketknives are constructed from sustainable top quality walnut using what would otherwise be waste material from other production processes."
Since your friend isn't really a knife guy a fixed blade might just be a bit of a waste and go unused. A SAK on the other hand has other uses besides the blade so might pay off a little better in the end. SAKs are non threatening, handy and easy to carry around and easy to find. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Great ideas so far, but this is going to be an edc knife for him, so while a handmade fixed blade from recycled materials is awesome, i don't think he'd use it very much. I like the evowood sak idea, though.

Great ideas so far, but this is going to be an edc knife for him, so while a handmade fixed blade from recycled materials is awesome, i don't think he'd use it very much..

Make it 5 inches overall with a 2 inch blade, and he'd be able to carry and use it a bunch.
As long as there's no silly fixed blade laws where he lives.

Why not gift a used, good condition, older slipjoint in ebony? Reduce and reuse should come before recycle.

On the other hand, I'm making a "church knife" with ~1870 wrought iron bolsters and 1927 Kenyan elephant ivory. Reusing, but your friend might not appreciate something like that..........

Maybe a custom made knife from salvaged material? A small custom maker is bound to be more 'eco-friendly' than any manufacturer... :thumbup:

You get the whole 'grass-roots' angle as well... :D

you know that's probably a really good idea. and probably more green than the other options.

Remind your friend that a decent pocketknife can last for a lifetime or longer, and a very small amount of materials compared to most other consumer products.

Still, your friend would probably appreciate a product that is not only environmentally friendly, but also marketed as such. The Wenger EvoWood mentioned above seems like just the thing. There are few products as useful as a SAK. Plus, I've never heard any serious gripes about Swiss labor practices.
Wenger environmental policy, and link to their Project Recycle: http://www.wengerna.com/environmental-policy

I've also seen knives made from old railroad spikes, and knives with bamboo handles.

Why not gift a used, good condition, older slipjoint in ebony? Reduce and reuse should come before recycle.

^ giving him a used, good condition knife would probably be the most eco friendly.

as far as buying him a knife:
opinel
buck vantage paperstone
swiss army evowood
kershaw leek composite blade

Back