1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Most Eco-Friendly Knife?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by mlanghornes, Oct 11, 2012.

1. mlanghornes

mlanghornes Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Ok, I know, weird topic, but humor me. I have a good friend who is about as crunchy, Granola, tree-hugging as they come. Now, while I don't want a national park to be bulldozed into a parking lot for a Wal-Mart, I'm not nearly as sensitive to the "green" issues as he is. His birthday is coming up and I want to get him an EDC knife, but I want it to be one that has "green" credentials, if you will. Something manufactured in a way that is sustainable, with a minimal use of non-renewable resources. It should also last a long time, and of course I want it to be a quality knife for him. Since he doesn't carry a knife at the moment, I'm pretty sure his use will be light/medium cutting tasks only.

When I'm looking at the big picture, I figure it should use metal or wood extensively, not much plastic, and preferably be made in the USA to cut down on energy used for transportation. On the other hand, I know some European companies that have been around a long time are pretty efficient with materials and manufacturing.

My initial thoughts were the Buck 110 or 112, an Opinel, Douk Douk, or maybe a traditional pattern like a sodbuster.

And yes, I recognize the irony of asking which knife is the best at saving trees, while other threads ask which knife chops through trees best:D

2. powernoodle

powernoodle Power Member

Jul 21, 2004
    The Buck Ecolite is one possibility: link.

3. FlaMtnBkr

FlaMtnBkr

Oct 20, 2004
    Probably one that uses an old car leaf spring for the metal and is forged to shape. But probably not a coal fueled forge. Wonder if anyone uses charcoal?

4. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    To follow on from FlaMtnBkr's suggestion, how about getting him a small FB forged locally from re-cycled steel?

5. Fancier

Fancier

Jul 1, 2012
    Reduce, reuse, recycle. So, a small fixed blade forged from a leaf spring with a handle made from hardwood recovered from old furniture fits the bill.
    It also sounds like a fun backyard project. With skill it could even be beautiful. A leather sheath is renewable but probably unacceptable, so perhaps a canvas (hemp fiber?) sheath.

6. Alberta Ed

Alberta Ed

Jun 29, 1999
    Get him a piece of bamboo. Recyclable, cuts pretty well, light, and eco-friendly.

7. Maddogg774

Maddogg774

Sep 19, 2011
    Buck 110 or 112 with pressed recycled paper handles. Wood handle Mora for fixed.

8. timberweasel

timberweasel

Jan 5, 2011
    Maybe a custom made knife from salvaged material? A small custom maker is bound to be more 'eco-friendly' than any manufacturer... :thumbup:

You get the whole 'grass-roots' angle as well... :D

9. canook

canook

Jul 12, 2009
    The Wenger EvoWood line of SAKs use walnut that is responsibly sourced, quote: "The handles for each of these pocketknives are constructed from sustainable top quality walnut using what would otherwise be waste material from other production processes."
    Since your friend isn't really a knife guy a fixed blade might just be a bit of a waste and go unused. A SAK on the other hand has other uses besides the blade so might pay off a little better in the end. SAKs are non threatening, handy and easy to carry around and easy to find. Just a thought.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  10. stabman

stabman Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Make him one out of knapped flint.
    It doesn't get "crunchier" than that.:)

11. Daft Slice 1986

Daft Slice 1986

Jun 3, 2012
    recycled steel, hemp wrap handle : )

12. mlanghornes

mlanghornes Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Great ideas so far, but this is going to be an edc knife for him, so while a handmade fixed blade from recycled materials is awesome, i don't think he'd use it very much. I like the evowood sak idea, though.

13. stabman

stabman Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Make it 5 inches overall with a 2 inch blade, and he'd be able to carry and use it a bunch.
    As long as there's no silly fixed blade laws where he lives.

14. Brian.Evans

Brian.Evans Registered Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Why not gift a used, good condition, older slipjoint in ebony? Reduce and reuse should come before recycle.

On the other hand, I'm making a "church knife" with ~1870 wrought iron bolsters and 1927 Kenyan elephant ivory. Reusing, but your friend might not appreciate something like that..........

15. ThirdTooth

ThirdTooth

Mar 21, 2012
    you know that's probably a really good idea. and probably more green than the other options.

16. Bob W

Bob W

Dec 31, 2000
    Remind your friend that a decent pocketknife can last for a lifetime or longer, and a very small amount of materials compared to most other consumer products.

Still, your friend would probably appreciate a product that is not only environmentally friendly, but also marketed as such. The Wenger EvoWood mentioned above seems like just the thing. There are few products as useful as a SAK. Plus, I've never heard any serious gripes about Swiss labor practices.
    Wenger environmental policy, and link to their Project Recycle: http://www.wengerna.com/environmental-policy

I've also seen knives made from old railroad spikes, and knives with bamboo handles.

17. peeintheshower

peeintheshower

Jul 21, 2012
    get a custom made. depending on how good of a friend... no mass production. can add wooden scales.

18. pap11y

pap11y

Jul 4, 2012
    File knife with wooden scales

19. jimnolimit

jimnolimit

Oct 28, 2009
    ^ giving him a used, good condition knife would probably be the most eco friendly.

as far as buying him a knife:
    opinel
    buck vantage paperstone
    swiss army evowood
    kershaw leek composite blade

20. c10darren

c10darren

Nov 30, 2011
    My hippie friends like Opinel knives. Its artsy too.