Most Expensive Knife

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sam Houston's Bowie Knife sold recently for just shy of $300,000.

I always make a little measurement at Bladeshow: how long after the opening of the show does it take me to have held $250,000 worth of knives?

The record is about ten minutes set a few years ago between Revishvili, Eaton, and King.

Known in the knife world as the Lindsay/Lindsay #5, this piece graces the cover and page 182 of the now famous David Darom book, "Art and Design in Modern Custom Folding Knives". Frank Lindsay made the folder and Steve Lindsay engraved it. Eleven months in the making, this knife contains 121 separate parts. There are a total of 35 .01 carat D flawless diamonds, 34 inlaid in the 18K gold side plates and 1 in the blade. The blade and locking bar are made from ATS-34 stainless, and the frame and other parts are made from 416 heat treated stainless. Screws and tapered pins hold the folder together, which allowed Steve to engrave the piece while apart. The 18K gold interframe was bright cut engraved, and there are 424 individual 24K gold inlays per side. The knife measures 5 1/2" inches open, 3" closed, and has a 2 1/4" blade. Frank is legendary for his precision work in watch making and other fine arts, and Steve's engraving is perhaps the finest that has ever graced a knife.
Offered at $110,000.00

Number_5_12.jpg

orig.jpg

(Not my photo)

I know little of this knife or its history in building. That said, I heard it was either bought or offered for sale at 1.2 million from a collector in Japan.

Coop

...and because no one with a "real" passion for knives would ever own a "safe queen", as we are told here time and time again, these knives are all "users", correct? ;)

...and because no one with a "real" passion for knives would ever own a "safe queen", as we are told here time and time again, these knives are all "users", correct? ;)

Yes, these knives are users.

As I often point out, an object can have value and utility and usefulness if it adds beauty to our lives, graces a space, gives joy to the eye, these are uses. If an object accomplishes these goals, then that object is a "user."

As I often point out, an object can have value and utility and usefulness if it adds beauty to our lives, graces a space, gives joy to the eye, these are uses. If an object accomplishes these goals, then that object is a "user."

And I agree with you 100%. :thumbup:

Ray Rogers can build you a folder that costs one third what other makers charge and is built much stronger, jmo.

Sag.

Very true, and not to forget one of the original reasons for commissioning ornate and embellished armaments historically, which was to display wealth, power, and social standing!

Stephen

Ray Rogers can build you a folder that costs one third what other makers charge and is built much stronger, jmo.
Sag.

Have you somehow failed to grasp the concept of this thread, which is "Most Expensive Knife", not "Strongest, and least expensive"?

In a subforum filled with thread drift, this post alone would be floating in Antarctica!:D

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

an object can have value and utility and usefulness if it adds beauty to our lives, graces a space, gives joy to the eye, these are uses. If an object accomplishes these goals, then that object is a "user."
YES!

Kohai999 said:
In a subforum filled with thread drift, this post alone would be floating in Antarctica!
Touche!

Best. Lines. Ever. :thumbup:

Coop

Have you somehow failed to grasp the concept of this thread, which is "Most Expensive Knife", not "Strongest, and least expensive"?

In a subforum filled with thread drift, this post alone would be floating in Antarctica!:D

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

ROFLMAO!!! :D:D:D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohai999

In a subforum filled with thread drift, this post alone would be floating in Antarctica!

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

ROFLMAO!!! :D:D:D

That IS funny! and will undoubtedly go down in the annals of Mr. Garssons' classic lines.:D

One thing that somewhat falws the calculation is that the cost of the raw materials become very material when the knife features gold and gems. It would be also interesting to think about what the most expensive knifemaking work is. They might or not be the same pieces.

The Gem of the orient was commissioned by a purveyor in Japan and it took Buster 10 yrs to make it. The cost to the purveyor was 1.2mil. It was immediately put back up for sale at the Grand Opening of the Purveyors store for 2.1mil. It did not say in the article if it sold or not but that was the reference price I used. I have a copy of the magazine. One of the only ones I kept after the move. It is my inspirational piece. You can do whatever your mind can envision. Just might take more effort and time.

It would be also interesting to think about what the most expensive knifemaking work is. They might or not be the same pieces.
Good point in targeting the labor aspect. Expensive may also be derived by cost of machinery: Those makers who utilize CNC and other hi-tech machinery in their processes may have the costliest knifemaking shop to produce a knife.

At the other end of the spectrum, Wolfe Loerchner and Tai Goo use hand tools and LOTS of labor to produce their incredible pieces.

There is talent in every aspect.

Coop

That is a philosophy that I heartily agree with.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

I suppose so, but since I'm not really into overpriced custom knives and love the fly reels I collect 1000 times more than any knife in the world, I guess, I don't care whether I "grasp" it or not. ;)

Sag.

I can appreciate the spirit in which you said, but If the knife isn't cutting something it isn't a "user".

Just having a "fiddle" doesn't make someone a "fiddler".

People collect old gas station pumps also. At one time they were "users", now they are mostly nostalgia and garage art.

Just a difference in how i would choose to define it.
David

I suppose so, but since I'm not really into overpriced custom knives and love the fly reels I collect 1000 times more than any knife in the world, I guess, I don't care whether I "grasp" it or not. ;)

Sag.

Yeah, yunno, I don't care for overpriced custom knives or nothin' like that myself, so I like to go over to the fly reel forums and talk about inexpensive knives over at them like...but I do like shiny spinners....chrome plated is good, right?..my Forum handle there is 1flewuprbut......see ya there!!!!:thumbup:

Thanks for playing!!:)

STeven Garsson

Mr Gollnick, I recently was backtracking old threads and came across one
entitled: "What's the most expensive knife"

quoted from the thread. http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=328461

And I've got a little knife project in the works right now that will total about $13,000. That clearly transcends the mearly functional knife and becomes art. functional object becomes sculptural art. This project has been in the works for four years now and probably has a year to run. Once complete, it will clearly become the piece de resistance on my collection... possibly of the balisong world.

I couldn't find any information on the balisong you mention.
Did you ever get it finished for your collection?

mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back