Most Iconic American Fixed Blades

That's a nice set there Wazu. I especially like the V44. I feel like even though the survival machete was never meant to be a fighting knife it somehow ended up being the template that a lot of people's idea of an American Bowie is based on.

Edited to add: Although I guess that technically the knife that I am calling a V44 is actually a #18 Collins Machete

Last edited:
Well I don't have anything really to add to the discussion - it's gotta be the Bowie.

Although as Hickory n steel and afishhunter have said, the Green River skinner's another grand-daddy of 'em all, that's just not as well known in non-knife enthusiast quarters.

But this is an excuse to post this great photo of an inimitable American, with a classic American knife: author William S. Burroughs brandishing his Bowie, in front of a screen of his 'cut-ups'.

Tough call. A lot of what we consider iconic American patterns were developed in Sheffield for the American market. I would say the Schrade 152 Sharpfinger, designed and produced here with mass production in mind is the fixed blade that is the most iconic American fixed blade.

Going back a generation or two, Marble's Ideal Hunting knife.

MARBLES7_zpsf99754a9.jpg

This is what I think of as well. I never owned one, having to settle for Westerns or even cheap knock offs. My first real fixed blade was a "marine fighting knife" with the leather stacked handle. I can't remember if it was a Kabar or not.

I also consider the Buck fixed blade to be one that stands out to me as well, Buck 102, 103, 120.

Ed J

Last edited:
I would agree on the Bowie knife. I have a few Westerns and the Bowie is always on top of my picture. I also have a couple of Buck 119's and 120's.

Western knives

Buck knives

edbeau, nice collection of fixies. If I may ask, what is the model in the Western photo, second from the right? Thanks.

I believe it is marked W-36 but I am at work and will check tonight. The ones with the flat pommels are a different series. One is a W-36 and the other is a W-38.

Found a picture on my Photobucket account. It shows the two models marked w-38. They are very different except for being stamped the same.

Growing up in the 50's and early 60's, I saw the Bowie on TV shows but I think the WWII Kabar was what I saw around me. The first knife I wanted, and got, was a Boy Scout stacked handle.

I have the Bowie as #1, and K-Bar as #2.

But this is an excuse to post this great photo of an inimitable American, with a classic American knife: author William S. Burroughs brandishing his Bowie, in front of a screen of his 'cut-ups'.

What a fantastic photo !!!! Thanks for posting it.

Hello All, So here's something I've been pondering on lately: In your opinion, what is the most iconic American traditional fixed blade? Or maybe it's a tie between two or three. The one that jumps to my mind immediately is the Bowie. What else? Thanks, and Merry Christmas!!!

The OP asked for an icon... has to be the Bowie (if we can agree on what that is exactly;) star of stage and screen. It's the only knife the average non-toting Joe could place in our history however how vague their answer might be, never mind being able to describe it. Heck, many would even get a jack knife wrong :D.

The OP asked for an icon... has to be the Bowie (if we can agree on what that is exactly;) star of stage and screen. It's the only knife the average non-toting Joe could place in our history however how vague their answer might be, never mind being able to describe it. Heck, many would even get a jack knife wrong :D.

I beg to differ. There is plenty of room for discussion.

The average person calls any large knife a "Bowie Knife", even if it isn't even close to the correct shape.

In like manner, there are many parts of the country where any large lockback folder is called "A Buck Knife", meaning "a Buck 110".

True, but OP also said 'fixed'. For folders agree it's 'Buck'. Both are American icons no doubt.

Excellent topic!!!!!!

Hard to argue with the Bowie, Kephart, Nessmuk, Marbles, and stacked leather.....

Would a Green River be considered?

Growing up with Schrade knives in my pocket I've always drawn to them. As a kid the fixed blade I wanted was always the Uncle Henry Golden Spike. Though it's made in China now under Taylor Brand, it's still a fine American knife to me.

Back