• Preorders are LIVE for the 2024 BladeForums Traditional Knife

Traditional Knife Information Thread - make sure you go in there and read up.

Requirements: Be a Gold or higher member or have been a member of the forums since 6/2023 with at least 100 posts in the Traditional Forum. Preorder is for people who live in the continental US only, international orders will be separate.

Delivery expected in Q4 2024, hopefully before the holidays.

User Name
    Serial number request

most popular knife brands

Benchmade, Cold Steel, Spyderco, Microtech, REKAT, and Buck are some popular brands.

I guess it depends on what type of knife you're looking for.
For production pocket-knives you can't go wrong with Victorinox, Wenger, Buck, Case, Schrade, and Camillus. I also think highly of the Spyderco, Browning, Puma, and Boker.
I don't know much about large fixed-blades or "tactical" folders (but I like CRKT and Benchmade).

[This message has been edited by allenC (edited 11-13-2000).]

and... Microtech Microtech Microtech
wink.gif

First off, I'm wondering what you're looking for here. Do you want to know the most popular brand of knife out there? If you're going by sales volume, it's probably going to be companies like Buck, Imperial-Schrade, Camillus and other very recognizable names in the industry.

If you want to know the "best" knife, you're opending up a Pandora's box. Best for what -- hunting, fishing, camping, self-defense, theatrical use? Best value for the money? Best you can get away with without spending much money? Most expensive? Etc., etc., etc.

This is like asking a group of people what the best car is -- everyone will have a different opinion. If you can give us a little more to go on, I'm sure we can come up with some options that appropriate to your needs.

------------------
"I can't believe you stabbed me with this cheap piece of mail-order sh*t"
James Caan in 'Eraser'

Originally posted by kirch:
First off, I'm wondering what you're looking for here. Do you want to know the most popular brand of knife out there? If you're going by sales volume, it's probably going to be companies like Buck, Imperial-Schrade, Camillus and other very recognizable names in the industry.

If you want to know the "best" knife, you're opending up a Pandora's box. Best for what -- hunting, fishing, camping, self-defense, theatrical use? Best value for the money? Best you can get away with without spending much money? Most expensive? Etc., etc., etc.

This is like asking a group of people what the best car is -- everyone will have a different opinion. If you can give us a little more to go on, I'm sure we can come up with some options that appropriate to your needs.

Absolutely. The most popular knife isn't always the best knife and the best knife depends on what your needs are.

What kind of role are you wanting a knife to play?

------------------
Dennis Bible

First I'll list what for me are the better brands in no particular order:
Victorinox
Spyderco
Benchmade
Buck
CRKT
Kershaw
Camillus
Leatherman
Case
There may be others I can't think of off-hand.
Now I'll list what I perceive, from personal observation, to be the most popular, also in no particular order:
Victorinox
Buck
Gerber
Spyderco
Schrade
Leatherman
CRKT
Benchmade
Emerson
I see Bucks, Gerbers, and Leathermans on belts a lot around here, and more Victorinox SAK's, esp. the Classic, than any other knife, period, being carried.
I would also point out that a lot of knock-off POS's are carried, but I won't list them.
Jim

"For the money":

CRKT
Cold Steel
Spyderco
Schrade
Buck
Gerber

"For the rich":

CRK (Sebenza)
Microtech
AL MAR