Most versatile...GB, 2hawks, ulu?????

Evening everyone. This is my first post on this forum. After spending hours reading the archives of this axe (general term that I will use to refer to all the hatchets, axes, tomahawks, etc.. )site. I have found that I am not insane to prefer a handy axe to a big knife. So I have a dilemma. I am looking at getting a small axe to use has a hunting, camping, hiking, all around tool to carry. I have narrowed my selection down to three ( god I hope I have anyways :) ) and was wondering if other members would like to share their comments. They are the GB Mini-Hatchet, the 2Hawks Woodsman Tomahawk and the Uluchet. I am completely open to all honest comments and do not favor anyone of these fine products......yet :) Just looking at getting some info on which would be the best all around one. I hope I am not repeating a previous thread. Thanks for the help. And no I can't get all of them, unfortunately I have only been allowed to get one of the three, even that cost me a month of dish pan hands from the little lady :D

First of all, welcome!
I am looking at getting a small axe to use has a hunting, camping, hiking, all around tool to carry.
The GB mini is a fine little hatchet but too little, in my opinion, for some of the "all-around" uses you mention. Some folks go absolutely crazy over hawks but I am not one of them, again because I do not find them versatile enough for my many uses. The 2hawks woodsman might be better than others but I have no experience with it or the uluchet.
You might consider going up slightly in weight/size and get a big gain in usefulness with a GB wildlife hatchet. Not as cute as the mini but more usefull IMO. A razor sharp wildlife hatchet is still small enough to skin and quarter game, even small game, slice potatoes and onions, etc.
I've spent some time out in the sticks and I can manage quite well with a 3" knife, GB wildlife hatchet, and small folding pack saw. If I had to choose one out of the three for a wilderness trek it would be the hatchet.

The mini is mini, maybe a photo will help
spoon.jpg

The FB has a 5" blade for reference.

I wouldn't want to use it for wood cutting to keep warm, but it is a handy tool.
One size larger than the wildlife mentioned above is the Small Forest Axe.
Shown here with my 2500ci pack.
pack.jpg

I guess it all depends on what you want to do with your new axe.
I haven't commented on the other 2 because I have no experience with them.
(Darren Cutsforth at Cutsforthknives.com will treat you well)

I have the uluchet. If your primary purpose for the "hatchet" is game processing, it will serve you well. If you want to drive tent pegs, cut firewood, look elsewhere.

Welcome to the forums.

If you can get a 2hawks original model Woodsman, do so, because he's making 'hawks in the happy hunting grounds. A real loss. I kept meaning to ride up and place an order with him and failed to do so in time.

Take Care,
Jeff

Think I will go with GB. Seems to be the one that fits the bill. Although I was trying to go as light as possible, does the extra inch or so length in the handle and the little extra weight in the head of the Wildlife Hatchet make that much of a difference compared to the Mini-Hatchet?

I have the GB Wilderness. It actually is hair poppin sharp and the maker initials each piece, so they take pride in their work. Good Luck. ec

Back