Motivation

/rant on

Dammit, I've been working my ample a$$ off for the last 8 months on my house and although its very nice, my knifemaking has suffered dramatically. I've had to turn down a ton of orders, and flat out have left my shop in a weird kind of stasis. Its eerie to walk into the shop and see things sitting exactly as I left them back in March. I need your help, my friends, to get some frikkin motivation back so I can get back into it!

/rant off

Its been a crazy year. I haven't spent a lot of time here in BF. I just haven't been into knifemaking at all.... much. Yes yes yes... the guilt overcomes me, and I must get my fix - I stop in here to read up on what is happening with all my knfemaker buds, but the harsh reality is that waiting for me at home is a mountain of remodeling work (still). Its getting better, though. The outside is nearly done - the weather is not cooperating atm - and I have some simple inside stuff to complete, then it'll be over.

I did get out to IG's shop and meet some good folks there. I suffered the threshing wrath of Mr. Rebello's Insidious Heat-Treating Relish! That first toothpick of that vile concoction was pretty hot! Ultimately, I began to enjoy the flavor and heat it provided and found new ways to incorporate it into some of my favorite foods.

Indian George is quite a character. Somebody definitely worth knowing. A good man. A good friend. Hi George! IG and his band of merry necka men are a jolly bunch, and as long as the beer dont run out there are good times to be had done in New Bedford.

So what do you say, friends? Can you give me some inspiration? Help me get my sorry, lazy arse back into the shop and make some frikkin sharp and pointy things! Ideas? Thoughts? :p

Take a day off of work and come down here. I'll show you how to do a canister damascus. I'll even share the 37 VL Harley primary chain with you. Now wouldn't that make a cool EDC????
PS: You bring the beer and no lite crap. :D

indian george said:
Take a day off of work and come down here. I'll show you how to do a canister damascus. I'll even share the 37 VL Harley primary chain with you. Now wouldn't that make a cool EDC????
PS: You bring the beer and no lite crap. :D
Okay, I'm motivated! You guys who live among other makers have a sweet deal. :D If it weren't for this forum I'd be doing everything wrong and doing it alone. It's hard for me to imagine what it'd be like to have a bunch of like minded people working and eating and enjoying fine brews together, making sharp stuff. That must be something fine. Accept IG's invitation, Jeff!

But for what it's worth, I think once you have your remodelling done you'll find motivation without looking for it.

A knife related sabatical is needed. Make yourself designate some time and just do it.

I'll motivate you. WHat you dont use in the next 6 weeks. Put in a box and give it to me when you move to NC. Anvil...whatever you dont touch over the next 6 weeks is MINE... Biatch!!!

Hey IG... I'll be down. Molson Ice sound okay? If we don't catch fire to ourselves, we may just make some good steel. I have a feeling, I'll be sleeping on your floor that night...

Brian, I'll be hanging out in your new fancy shop when I move down.

Oh btw... For all you NE knifemakers...

I have a Burke Model 4 horizontal Slitting machine for sale or trade here at the company I work. Its doing me no good here. It had power feed, and I have totally rebuilt it with new bearings and sleeves. Email me if you are interested. This machine will slit a liner-lock in a couple minutes with excellent accuracy (hint).

Visiting another maker, or going to a knife show and talking to other makers, is a good way to get motivated.:)

I think a case of Molson Ice and a case of Sam Adams Lager will do. :eek: :eek: HEHEHE!!! Molson is fine.
Get your ass down here before it gets to cold. Give me a heads up a couple of days ahead to make sure my busy agenda (HEHEHE!!) is free. :D :D

I can get a few more guys over here too. Unless you want to go one on one. :eek: :eek: OH!!! BABY!!! HEHEHEHE!!! :D :D

What always motivates me Jeff, is looking at other peoples things. My first thought is, "I can make that, why would I buy it"!

Mike Hull said:
Visiting another maker, or going to a knife show and talking to other makers, is a good way to get motivated.:)

Sounds like I may have to do just that, Mike. In the immediate vicinity I have Kelly Carlson only 5 minutes away, and Peter Atwood (Guinness-drinkin' sob) only about 30 mins away. My good buddy, Jay Boynton is a half-hour upstate. He just bought himself a new hyd press - I aint even seen it run yet. Then there's IG... :rolleyes: Yeah I guess a road trip spree of visitations is in order. Might just help me kick the blues.

Hey IG! About the one-on-one thing... :footinmou

Back