Mountain Biker's Forum

knucks are healin up
wq2QC52.jpg

Final leg of a 16 hour drive to Southern Utah for a week of winter riding!

Made it. Rode the last three days, and after a 2 month hiatus, I’m a bit broken today (though not in the same fashion as Lorien Lorien ). Old guys like me get achy & stuff.

As chilly as Southern Utah can get this time of year, it’s about 40° warmer than NW Montana this week.

BTW, anyone out there riding a Transition Sentinel? I’m thinking about picking one up, but it seems a little LONG. I’m not sure how much fun it would be on a “light blue” or flow day.

the trick with RS forks is to break them in over 4 or 5 good rides, and then give it a full service. Especially these days, with the pandemic, shipping, delays, lack of workers etc etc.
never assume that the juicy parts of your bike were assembled perfectly and that they'll perform flawlessly forever.
the first servicing is the most important, and once that's behind you those hydraulic doodads will hold up for a super long time with minimal wear. I say that's true for rear shocks and brakes as well.

the trick with RS forks is to break them in over 4 or 5 good rides, and then give it a full service. Especially these days, with the pandemic, shipping, delays, lack of workers etc etc.
never assume that the juicy parts of your bike were assembled perfectly and that they'll perform flawlessly forever.
the first servicing is the most important, and once that's behind you those hydraulic doodads will hold up for a super long time with minimal wear. I say that's true for rear shocks and brakes as well.
Good info.

More than a lower service?

I do my own lower, dust wiper, air can, & brake maintenance.

yeah, definitely. Get that damper and air spring freshened up as well- all the little wear residue gets more entrenched over time and getting that initial shmutz out of there pays off years down the road. Most people I know seem to update, (not upgrade) their bikes every couple years, but I like to keep my shit going for as long as it will go

got some wind in the forecast for tomorrow, so I got out for a bit of a rip today
fSpk1LF.jpg

Last edited:
Spent a few hours on an old gem.
This was high-end 25 years ago.

I’ve kept her running all these years. Yesterday’s blue tech trail made me feel like a pretzel though!

Honestly, the 100 mm rear suspension doesn’t feel all that bad by modern standards IMO.

not a soul atop the mountain save mine, today. It was mucky and slippery, and the valve at my rear wheel was stuck so I wasn't able to let any air out for the descent. But, even with high pressure in that rear tyre, I had a good ride all things considered. Some scary moments, but made it home yet again!
3lV3zsQ.jpg

I had to take yesterday off and go for a ride. Trying to find that work/life balance and am really focusing on getting into a regular routine that includes riding. For various reasons, mtbing has had to take a back seat, but I need to change that.
YwtEKtI.jpg

Nice one!
Stitches?
butterfly stitches. This was one of those whole body impacts, so I'm hurting pretty much everywhere, but I guess the pile of rocks I landed in made acquaintance with my knee first. I did punch that pile of rocks in the face, apparently- my knucks are a bit of a mess too

Back