"Mountain Man" in the mountains?

A very recent purchase brought a few questions to mind. I just purchased a Queen Mountain Man in 1095 steel from Cumberland Knife works. As a kid going out with my Granddad and my father fishing and hunting; I can't remember my Granddad carrying anything but a one blade slip-joint with him ever. I can't remember what brand he carried, but I do know it must have been carbon steel due to the patina it had on the blade. When I was a kid, I thought it was ugly, now I recognize that as the beauty of a carbon blade.

My question is, what are our thoughts on a "traditional" one blade (granted mine is a lock back) for primary carry in the woods. I know the weakness of the folder (lock, or lack of) but I carry and depend on my GB axe for most if not all heavy chopping, splitting, and some semi heavy carving. I feel comfortable with just a axe, folding lock-back, and a SAK. Just wanted to see other reactions.

Please feel free to "flame" me if you think I' nuts;)

I read alot of the "living in Alaksa" type biographies and time and time again, those people who have actually lived out in the wilds seem to carry some type of "jack-knife" and Axe combo.

So to me, your in pretty good company with that combo. :D

I don't think you're nuts at all. Most of your cutting on a camping trip, hunting trip, is just slicing through something. Our grandfathers and great grandfathers did just fine with simple slip joint pocket knives. For a couple hundred years, simple knives like the sodbuster design, were the main knife of soldiers, sailors, working men. When a design has been around that long, its for a good reason.

As long as you have some sort of heavier duty chopping tool, a pocket knife like the simple single blade "clasp Knife" as it used to be called, will do just fine as a all around cutting tool. Remember-our grandfathers were not knife knuts, but they knew how to get the job done with a simple knife a long, long time before this age of modern tactical one hand whiz bang knives of miracle steel.

As for myself, I can't count the times I've been camping and my only knives were a sak, a Case sodbuster, and a Martindale golok or 12 inch machete. It's worked for me from the Shenendoahs here in the east, to the Colorado rockies.

I'd say you have a good grip on the real world.

jackknife said:
Remember-our grandfathers were not knife knuts, but they knew how to get the job done with a simple knife a long, long time before this age of modern tactical one hand whiz bang knives of miracle steel.

That is exactly what came to my mind when thinking about my new knife. I HATE tactical, super steel, best of the week stuff. My Granddad did know what he was doing, and taught me alot about back wood living/pleasure.

I normally carry a Mora, and just wanted to break out of my norm. Sometimes looking back is better than looking forward huh? ;)

I'm not going to say I dont wish to carry my collection with me wherever I go, but when I want to get the job done usually it's with my SAK and an axe.

In my early days as a kid adventurer, I carried a "Roy Rogers" jack knife, or scout-type combo, or barlow or stockman. Now that I'm older and more sophisticated, I carry a "Lone Ranger Hi-Yo Silver" 60th anniversary model jacknife, or a Remington scout combo, or a variety of SAKs. I'm also leaning towards a WWII big honkin' Navy pilot survival knife.

A good axe, the Mountain Man, and a SAK should pretty much cover anything you may need in the woods. That's a trio that would make Mr. Sears proud!

lambertiana said:
A good axe, the Mountain Man, and a SAK should pretty much cover anything you may need in the woods. That's a trio that would make Mr. Sears proud!

IMHO he would be one to "look up" to. In reading some of his accounts, it is more than apparent that his axe was the most valued tool.

Edited to add" besides his canoe of course!

Yes I carry a massive arsenal into the woods but usually for testing and for fun....after you made me think about it I do most of my slicing with my SAK foreseter(locking version) and my GB huntsman. Most of my other knives wait there turn to be used but I reach for these two the most often. Thanks for making me think.

I've eyed that Mountain man lockblade for a long time.

I think you're doing just fine with your trio. Myself, I'd be carrying a Wetterlings short axe, SAK and 4" fixed blade, but if I had that mtn man, it'd be stuffed in a pocket too.:D

I think a Buck 110 type of knife, like your mountain man, is a very practical outdoors folder. THey have a nice, oldschool feel to them, slice very well (I believe MM's are flat ground, which I like) and are quite capable. I'm rarely in need of a fixed blade myself, I rarely, rarely ever need to baton or chop, and a SAK saw is usually an adequate compromise for the chopping.

I've got two of the MM's. Next to the 110, it's one of my favorite lockbacks. Put to proper use, it would get the job done. Even though I carry a folder, I still like to have a fixed blade along too.
Scott

There's a rumor that I kinda like those Queen #3L's myself. :D

Queen-Groupshot-1.jpg

The Last Confederate said:
There's a rumor that I kinda like those Queen #3L's myself. :D

Queen-Groupshot-1.jpg

Those are Beauty's. I have the Crimson bone coming very soon. Thanks for sharing TLC:thumbup: :cool:

Razorback - Knives said:
You MM whore.:eek: :D NICE collection.
Scott

Ooops, forgot some.

Queen Classic in Brown Jigged Bone, only 14 were made, making it possible the rarest #3L.

Queen-Brownbone-MM-1.jpg

1970's Bowen R1306 made by Queen.

Bowen-MM.jpg

This doesn't cover the versions I have by Camillus and others...I am a sick man, addicted I tell ya!

tarmix101 said:
Those are Beauty's. I have the Crimson bone coming very soon. Thanks for sharing TLC:thumbup: :cool:

You'll love it, takes a scary edge! I only carry my Stag one in 1095, the Rootbeer and Crimson bones are still NIB.

I'd be curious to see what a 1095 #3L wouldbe like after you convex it! :D:D

A large lockback has been a constant fixture in my pocket or on my belt since childhood. Currently its a full sized Manix, gone through 2 110's and a few Gerber Gators (when I would still give money to Gerber).

In the woods I like a stout fixed blade, think Becker crewman or similar. Sometimes a hatchet, sometimes a machete but the lockback is always with me if I have pants on, that and my super tactical, black ops ninja sword of course.

shotgunner11 said:
that and my super tactical, black ops ninja sword of course.

LMAO:D :thumbup: Gata get me one of those. With all the Org's and Trols in the woods these days;)

Back