Mourning a Fallen Grail

jaz322

Gold Member
BLUF: A Fiddleback grail knife has fallen — but it’s memory will last through a historical knife review. No action requested.

I had a mishap with a knife sale/shipment this week....The blade was a cpm154 gaucho that @Comprehensivist wrote an outstanding review on! I had no intention of ever selling this knife but I recently sold two runts to a person that is new to the brand. One of them was a custom shop blade with scales added by a third-party and the other one was an old school model that was not like the newer ones. I didn’t think they measured up to current Fiddleback standards and I wanted the buyer to see how great Andy’s knives can be. So I sent him a pdf of Comprehensivist‘s review and sold him the gaucho on the condition that I would have first rights if he ever decided not to keep it.

Turns out the blade never made it to him and USPS tells him all packages on the delivery unit were destroyed due to a fire. Unfortunately I didn’t get insurance (never do, and still way ahead financially) and don’t have the receipt either ! But that’s really not the point — I’m making things right for the buyer.

Wanted to give props one more time for the best blade review I can recall....and mourn with my fellow fiddleheads over the loss of a fallen grail. RIP.

Gaucho Review by Comprehensivist 04/10/15

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1279526-Fiddleback-Gaucho-Review

This was the last photo taken of it. Comprehensivist had put a wicked edge on that blade, literally.

A2D7D85B-E118-4D66-A35C-E194F966907D.jpeg

BLUF: A Fiddleback grail knife has fallen — but it’s memory will last through a historical knife review. No action requested.

I had a mishap with a knife sale/shipment this week....The blade was a cpm154 gaucho that @Comprehensivist wrote an outstanding review on! I had no intention of ever selling this knife but I recently sold two runts to a person that is new to the brand. One of them was a custom shop blade with scales added by a third-party and the other one was an old school model that was not like the newer ones. I didn’t think they measured up to current Fiddleback standards and I wanted the buyer to see how great Andy’s knives can be. So I sent him a pdf of Comprehensivist‘s review and sold him the gaucho on the condition that I would have first rights if he ever decided not to keep it.

Turns out the blade never made it to him and USPS tells him all packages on the delivery unit were destroyed due to a fire. Unfortunately I didn’t get insurance (never do, and still way ahead financially) and don’t have the receipt either ! But that’s really not the point — I’m making things right for the buyer.

Wanted to give props one more time for the best blade review I can recall....and mourn with my fellow fiddleheads over the loss of a fallen grail. RIP.

Gaucho Review by Comprehensivist 04/10/15

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1279526-Fiddleback-Gaucho-Review

This was the last photo taken of it. Comprehensivist had put a wicked edge on that blade, literally.

View attachment 1345675
Dammmmmmmmit

Sorry to hear that

Ok f they return it damaged, let me have a shot at fixing it.

Andy,
Thank you for the kind offer - that would have been really cool. I finally got a warm body on the phone at USPS, who in turn asked their supervisor if I could salvage anything from the package and they confirmed all was lost in a transport fire in Champaign, IL. They at least gave me a $50 check for the standard insurance that comes with every priority package. I provided a full refund to the buyer.

I suspected you would offer up a way to help, Andy. Because that’s what you do. But as it says in the original post — no action requested — just sharing an event that happened to an epic knife that will be remembered through the annals of this forum.

Andy,
Thank you for the kind offer - that would have been really cool. I finally got a warm body on the phone at USPS, who in turn asked their supervisor if I could salvage anything from the package and they confirmed all was lost in a transport fire in Champaign, IL. They at least gave me a $50 check for the standard insurance that comes with every priority package. I provided a full refund to the buyer.

I suspected you would offer up a way to help, Andy. Because that’s what you do. But as it says in the original post — no action requested — just sharing an event that happened to an epic knife that will be remembered through the annals of this forum.
@jazz322 definitely feel for you. Any Grail knife lost is irreplaceable. That said, as I mentioned in an earlier post I have a Gaucho from that production time In CPM 154 see pictures. As much as I love the Gaucho’ [and Shanks] I’d be willing to sell this one to you for what I bought it for. Let me know if you’re interested!

Back