1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving clip to scale side?

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by TCB, Sep 30, 2013.

1. TCB

TCB

Aug 17, 2010
    I just received a XM-18 Spanto 3.5" that I ordered from Rob (thanks! It's a beast) a few days ago. I had been carying a ZT561 tip up at work in my front left pocket (with my bat belt on it's the best place to carry a folder to access quickly) and am wondering if anyone has a way of carrying the XM this way? Is there a scale available predrilled to accept a clip? I love the knife and want to get it out into the field to start abusing it.

2. RubiconSS

RubiconSS

Jan 12, 2011
    Your two(2) options for clip placement are lockside tip up or tip down. Knife comes tip down with filler tab in the place where tip up would be accomplished.
    Other than that - Holster.
    Enjoy the Knife.

3. TCB

TCB

Aug 17, 2010
    Right....I get that's how the knife is setup, my bad if I wasn't clear. I'm wondering if anybody makes a scale side predrilled to move the pocket clip over there to allow for tip up, blade to the rear carry so the flipper is in the correct orientation when deployed with my left hand. A holster is not an option (no room left on my duty belt) and my other pockets are blocked from easy access by my sidearm, radio, cuffs, etc....I cant be the only guy who needs to carry a folder on his support side front pocket? I guess I could buy an extra scale and have someone machine it like the lock side to accept the pocket clip? Not sure if that material would be able to be threaded to accept the screws securely though....I don't know, it was a long night and I need to get to sleep, maybe it's just not possible.

4. RubiconSS

RubiconSS

Jan 12, 2011
    Maybe I wasn't clear.

No.

5. kwazyjuice

kwazyjuice

Feb 10, 2013
    Left handed xm-18

6. TCB

TCB

Aug 17, 2010
    Thanks, didn't know they made a LH version....I guess there are some options after all?

7. 1SHOT1KILL

1SHOT1KILL

Mar 28, 2009
    kwazyjuice was being facetious...

8. TCB

TCB

Aug 17, 2010
    Got it, that was helpfull. I guess it was a stupid question/idea....Thanks.

9. Hammer

Hammer

Oct 3, 1998
    There are no, and never have been any, left handed XM-18s. RHK has no provisions for conversions.

10. TCB

TCB

Aug 17, 2010
    10-4.

11. recon1s14

recon1s14

Nov 15, 2010
    Obviously Mr. Red ^^^ had a little too much grumpy juice...lol I'm sure if you contact one of our many wonderful custom knife makers or maybe even our own tuffthumbz? They could find a way to accommodate you, not a stupid question at all, thanks for your service ;)

12. kwazyjuice

kwazyjuice

Feb 10, 2013
    I didn't mean to be rude... Just a good laugh. Haha!

I hope you can resolve your carry situation.

13. TCB

TCB

Aug 17, 2010
    So after 5 years looks like I’ll finally be able to carry this thing...

In case anyone else needs to convert a Hinderer to support side carry.

https://www.dlttrading.com/hinderer-3-5-xm-18-4-way-scale-kit-textured-od-green-g-10#

Been using the excellent ZT0566 in the meantime but very happy to now go beat the hell outta a real Hinderer.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018 at 2:45 AM
    willc likes this.