Moving the clip on my Gunting

MM

I want to have the clip moved on my Gunting to the opposite side and the opposite end. Where could I get this done? Will Spyderco do it? Is there a 3rd party that can do it?

BOK

MM said:
Where could I get this done? Will Spyderco do it? Is there a 3rd party that can do it?

Spyderco won't do it.

You'll have to get someone else to do it for you.

BOK

BTW if you're thinking of inverting the clip for 'waving' purposes I've heard that it doesn't work that well. Never tried it myself though just read about it.

IIRC it was TOTC who mentioned it in another forum but I'm not a hundred percent positive on that.

I found the old thread and bumped it to the top; I sincerely hope it does not open any old wounds. See the thread regarding the modified Gunting (Suspect Gunting). PLEASE notice that it is an OLD thread; some of the posters on the old thread are no longer active here on BFC. It is important to remember that Bram designed the Gunting to be used with a certain philosophy on the use of force, which does not include automatically waving a knife open upon removal from the pocket. I like the kinetic opening ramp concept better than the Wave. If someone gave me a Gunting with a reversed clip, and I wanted to carry it, I would restore the clip to the original location. Another important factor is that the dimple in the specially-shaped clip is intended to line up with the matching dimple on the opposite handle scale, and this is important to the handling characteristics of the Gunting.

MM

Yes, the reason I want to move the clip is so that I have the option of opening on the draw into a pakal grip. Pakal is becoming my preferred EQC methodology and I'm considering options for using the gunting for this.

It is important to remember that Bram designed the Gunting to be used with a certain philosophy on the use of force...

I'm familiar with Bram's methodology with the gunting. I have all the videos. In moving the clip I would still retain the qualities of the gunting (impact weapon, kinetic opening). I would lose the indexing divot on one side but that acceptable to me. What I like is that I would gain another way to open it.