MPK-A2 from Mission Knives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cliff Stamp

BANNED
The A2 version of the MPK is a much better chopper than the MPK in Beta-Ti, and the edge resists denting better It also shows improved edge retention and responds much better to thinning and aggressive finishes. However the Beta-Ti version is much more corrosion resistant, and much tougher in regards to impacts and prying , and is also much lighter. Ref :

http://www.physics.mun.ca/~sstamp/knives/MPK_A2.html

-Cliff

Nice concise review. I wonder, how do you think the A2 version of the MPK compares to say a Camp Tramp in edge retention, chopping ability, durability and so on?

MPK-A2 vs Camp Tramp

The Camp Tramp is slightly heavier (10%), but far more blade balanced and will out chop the MPK-A2 by about two to one. The edge is also ground at a more acute angle, and will push cut hemp more efficiently (~20%). The Camp Tramp is alsomuch better at roughing wood (several times to one), the performance here being heavily influenced due to the ability to choke up on the blade effectively with use of the index finger cutout.

The Camp Tramp is also functionally far stronger and much more resistant to impacts due to the spring tempered spine. The corrosion resistance of the steels is similar (low), as are the relative wear resistances. The Camp Tramp will have a slight advantage in edge retention on some materials due to the slightly higher hardness (1-2 RC points). The MPK-A2 has a much more durable handle in regards to impacts, cuts and general abrasion, and is larger so fills the hand nicer. The Hytrel sheaths that Mission uses are supposed to be *very* good - never used them.

These are two very different knives due to the balance issue. The MPK-A2 is very light in the hand and thus works better than the Camp Tramp for most cutting chores, though you will want to redo the edge to get the same level of cutting performance (drop the angle 4-5 degrees). The Camp Tramp can get the same lower level of fatigue if the index finger cutout is used, which shifts the balance back, but this is not as comfortable a grip as a full hold on the handle of the MPK-A2. A very direct comparison could be made against the CU/7.

MPK-A2 vs CU/7

These are similar in balance, mass, and overall profile. The chopping and general handling ability is very close, almost identical. The CU/7 has the advantage in regards to cutting because of the more acute edge which could be normalized with a little work on the MPK-A2. The 0170-6C steel used in the Becker line seems to be more impact tougher than the A2 in the MPK, but neither are very flexible. The MPK has a much more durable handle, which is far more secure in hand due to the slight surface texture, and fully encloses the tang.

-Cliff

Thanks, Cliff. I have handled the Titanium version, and it is very light, which as you pointed out effects chopping performance. I am surprised you consider 52100 (SR101) wear resistance to be low. I have not found much difference in edge retention between my Howling Rat and a couple of D2 knives I own, which in my experience have better than average edge retention.

I should have clarified the relative scale, I have used very high Vanadium alloys like CPM-S90V, 10V and 15V. Compared to these, low alloy steels like 52100 have a far reduced wear resistance (several times to one). Wear resistance is a property often ignored functionally in knives, though it is tremendously hyped. Blades blunt mainly through rolling, denting or fracture.

With steels like D2 which have the potential for high edge holding on abrasive materials, the steel has to be very hard for the wear resistance to be a factor. If the steel is too soft the edge just rolls and and you now have a blade that is just hard to machine and frustrating to sharpen because of it being prone to floppy burrs - with no advantage in edge holding on most materials.

I am very interested in how the Swamp Rat D2 blades come out. The hardness should be 60-62, and the edges very thin (< 0.025") to maximize the potential of D2. If this is the case some comparison against blades like Doziers would be interesting.

-Cliff

Man, am I out of touch. I didn't know Swamp Rat was going to make knives out of D2. I would assume their smaller models, not the larger choppers, would be candidates for D2. I should go check out the website.

Originally posted by Steelhed
I would assume their smaller models, not the larger choppers, would be candidates for D2. I should go check out the website.

That's exactly what they said!

Yes, they are adding a bunch of new ones, slimming the stock and the edge geometry to bring out the maximum performance of D2. They should complement the SR101 line very well. You now have a workhorse line for utility and a highly focused series for dedicated fine cutting. It just remains to be seen as to the extent of the optomization on the D2 line. They just need to add a couple of longer brush blades and a decent folder.

-Cliff

Cliff - Yeah, I checked out the website. Very nice looking prototypes. I don't know about the longer brush blades, but a nice framelock folder with a D2 blade at a reasonable price sounds great to me. Yeah, I know Camillus makes one, an EDC in D2, but I'd like something larger and even more robust. I gave my EDC to my son and he likes it, but I'd prefer something with about a 4 inch blade. Yeah, I know, I have a Benchmade 806 in D2 and axis lock, but you can never have too many good folders. :)

They could come out with a small one in D2 and a very large and rugged one in SR101. Though there are already a number of nice small and lightweight folders which fare well in light use. Heavier built would seem the way to go as there are not a lot of choices in that area with functional, secure and strong locks.

Jagged, thanks.

-Cliff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back