Mr. Caracci, your feelings on the Combat Shotgun

Mr. Caracci, What are your feelings on the combat shotgun and what would be your seggestions on a combat load for this weapon? I carry my Benelli Nova with its 18" ghost ring sighted barrel as a primary weapon and back it up with a Beretta 92f, I like the 3" mag. 1oz. slug witch will shoot a baseball size Group at 100 yrds.,I also like 00 and #4 buckshot. what do you think?
Thanks

I do not care for your backup, but if it works for you. The ammo sounds good except you told me what you can do with your slugs, what can you do with your buckshot?
As for your sights I prefer the Ashley sights on my shotguns. What about your sling, I suggest you check with Eagle Ind. or someone making a tactical sling.

What would be your recomendation on a back up to my shotgun, the 92F was the best I could do at the time, but I am looking to replace it. Also the patterns I get with both #4 and 00 buckshot in the shotgun a very impressive out to 25 to 30 yards the #4 is a little better shot count wise in target at range, but what about the size in shot #4 vs 00 as far as stopping power? and what should I look for as far as a good pattern and at what range? Thanks for your input. :

Partner,
I was just kidding you about your backup, just be capable with whatever you got.
What I wanted you to think about in your buckshot was, do you know your pattern and penetration at a given distance? This is critical as this really is your most versatile round as a slug can have some over penetration problems. As far as #4 I like it. You have to find what functions best in your weapon with your requirements. I don't know what ranges concern you, that depends on where you plan to use the weapon. I suggest you begin with 3,7,12, and then slug distance from 50, to 100 yards.
I recommend that you also research HansVeng modifications to shotgun chambers.

I suggest you check out CJ's shotgun video. He talks about patterning and effective ranges for buck shot and slugs.
If you haven't already done it, you should have some simple modifications to your shotgun: lengthen and polish the forcing cone, polish the chamber and barrel. Might want to pattern with different brand ammo to see which gives you the best and consistant grouping.
I've had my shotgun modifications done by Johnny Stone at www.shotgunchokes.com . He's good, quick and reasonable.

Good luck and good shooting.

Back