"mr" ????

I picked up a little poll axe on ePrey - 4 1/2" x 2 3/8"

The pictures carefully didn't show that it's cast. That may be OK.

The handle grain runs 90 degrees wrong.

The head was supposedly purchased fifteen years ago. It is marked "MR," with the M and the R sharing the middle leg.

Anyone know who or what "MR" was/is?

They are selling another axe with the same head right now, this one supposedly used. Mine is brand new - seemingly too shiny for 15 years old, but they could have cleaned it up.

Some years ago (10?) Cold Steel sold two sizes of tomahawks with cast steel heads that were made somewhere in Canada, but I don't remember how or if they were marked except for "Canada." CS only marketed them for a short time before going to a line of 'hawks drop forged in Taiwan that seem to be good ones. I doubt this is any help in identifying yours, though.

But for the handle, I'd say this was easily better quality than any CS hawk I've handled. The stamped mark is 1/4" high and fairly deep - 1.5mm. It looks quite professional. No other markings.

Convex edge. Top profile like my old Marble's No. 9. Should split well for its weight.

Good finish. Not as good as Ragnar's special, but smooth to the tough all-'round.

Edge hardness seems right.

I'll try it out tomorrow.

Back