MT09P Mule Team featuring Cobalt Special

tazkristi

Spyderco Moderator
MT09P – Mule Team Fixed Blade featuring Cobalt Special

MT09P will be available for sale on Tuesday, 1-Mar-2011 at 1000 (MDT)

All sales will be handled by the Spyderco Factory Outlet store online at www.spyderco.com.

Maximum Purchase Allowed: 2

Cost: $ $84.95 each

Domestic Shipping: Standard Shipping rates apply.

International Shipping:
International shipments will be sent out according to our International Shipping Schedule:
Shopping Cart Total: $0-$99 - Shipping/Handling Charge $25
Shopping Cart Total: $100-$399 - Shipping/Handling Charge $35
Shopping Cart Total: $400 and higher - Shipping/Handling Charge $50

International shipments will be via USPS International Priority Mail. Please be aware, we will have limited tracking capabilities. Tracking once it leaves the US is dependent upon the postal services outside the US and their ability to provide it. However, this will completely eliminate UPS Brokerage Fees.

About Cobalt Special:
Takefu is a premier Japanese steel company specializing in the production of steels used for household and industrial cutlery. They produce blades using clad steel. Clad steels are a composite of different metals some hard, some softer, fused or bonded to each other. Paring different steel types together elevates performance by combining the best characteristics of each material and where the steels overlay each other, a fine Hamon or line develops. Traditional Japanese swords featured clad steels, layering tough harder steel with softer bendable ones which resulted in a steel combination that made them difficult to break or bend. Spyderco’s MT09 Mule Team is Takefu’s Cobalt Special steel enveloped within slices of SUS420J2. The two steels laminated as one boost toughness, improve corrosion resistance and generate lasting sharpness in a blade that is relatively easy to sharpen.

What is the Mule Team:
For those of you unfamiliar with our Mule Team Project, it is unique to Spyderco. In-house we call knife samples designed and built for testing and evaluation Mules. We know a healthy percentage of knife users are interested in different blade steels and their performance abilities. Running with that, we released an ongoing Mule Team Project. Several times per year we unveil the same single-piece fixed blade patterned knife in a different and exotic blade steel. This lets steel-obsessed knife knuts test, try and use something normally not offered to the industry. Product runs are limited to 600 – 1000 pieces of each steel type depending on foundry requirements.

Mule Blades are leaf-shaped with a sharpened and finished PlainEdge blade but with an unfinished handle providing a do-it-yourself opportunity. The unfinished handle has a series of holes for attaching custom handle scales or for wrapping with para-cord. Each piece is sold without handle scales or a carry sheath focusing the project on the blade steel. This opens endless creative possibilities for the owner to design their own handle scale and carry options.

*The composition for Cobalt Special will be added to the steel chart here on our site very soon. We're working on it now.

Damascus?

Hi Ben,

We have a few in the works that will be close as to when they are finished. The first one finished will be the next run.

There is a special Takefu Damascus that has a VG-10 core and some interesting purpose to their layers.

We have a piece made with Hitachi Aogami super blue.

We have a few new special Carpenter steels.

We have a Takefu Cobalt special.

sal

MT09P – Mule Team Fixed Blade featuring Cobalt Special

MT09P will be available for sale on Tuesday, 1-Mar-2011 at 1000 (MDT)

All sales will be handled by the Spyderco Factory Outlet store online at www.spyderco.com.

Maximum Purchase Allowed: 2

Cost: $ $84.95 each

Domestic Shipping: Standard Shipping rates apply.

International Shipping:
International shipments will be sent out according to our International Shipping Schedule:
Shopping Cart Total: $0-$99 - Shipping/Handling Charge $25
Shopping Cart Total: $100-$399 - Shipping/Handling Charge $35
Shopping Cart Total: $400 and higher - Shipping/Handling Charge $50

International shipments will be via USPS International Priority Mail. Please be aware, we will have limited tracking capabilities. Tracking once it leaves the US is dependent upon the postal services outside the US and their ability to provide it. However, this will completely eliminate UPS Brokerage Fees.

About Cobalt Special:
Takefu is a premier Japanese steel company specializing in the production of steels used for household and industrial cutlery. They produce blades using clad steel. Clad steels are a composite of different metals some hard, some softer, fused or bonded to each other. Paring different steel types together elevates performance by combining the best characteristics of each material and where the steels overlay each other, a fine Hamon or line develops. Traditional Japanese swords featured clad steels, layering tough harder steel with softer bendable ones which resulted in a steel combination that made them difficult to break or bend. Spyderco’s MT09 Mule Team is Takefu’s Cobalt Special steel enveloped within slices of SUS420J2. The two steels laminated as one boost toughness, improve corrosion resistance and generate lasting sharpness in a blade that is relatively easy to sharpen.

What is the Mule Team:
For those of you unfamiliar with our Mule Team Project, it is unique to Spyderco. In-house we call knife samples designed and built for testing and evaluation Mules. We know a healthy percentage of knife users are interested in different blade steels and their performance abilities. Running with that, we released an ongoing Mule Team Project. Several times per year we unveil the same single-piece fixed blade patterned knife in a different and exotic blade steel. This lets steel-obsessed knife knuts test, try and use something normally not offered to the industry. Product runs are limited to 600 – 1000 pieces of each steel type depending on foundry requirements.

Mule Blades are leaf-shaped with a sharpened and finished PlainEdge blade but with an unfinished handle providing a do-it-yourself opportunity. The unfinished handle has a series of holes for attaching custom handle scales or for wrapping with para-cord. Each piece is sold without handle scales or a carry sheath focusing the project on the blade steel. This opens endless creative possibilities for the owner to design their own handle scale and carry options.

*The composition for Cobalt Special will be added to the steel chart here on our site very soon. We're working on it now.

Not shipped to New York City. Not passing any judgement I can understand your reasoning and I know you guys took a bad hit in court with the spyderfly.

That said I am impressed.

Not shipped to New York City. Not passing any judgement I can understand your reasoning and I know you guys took a bad hit in court with the spyderfly.

Are you sure? AFAIK, fixed blades are exempt from that.

Thanks for the update, always enjoy the chance to use new steels. Anyone have extras of the first three? Martin

I think they ship the Mule's to NY. I recall another post about that. Some misinformation on the website or something. If you give them a call I think they can work it out.

Thanks Deacon, This blade really peaks my interest now. It would be fun to lean more about how the super steel is clad and how far back it goes. Do you think an acid bath will bring out the lamination line more or will it be plainly visible like other VG-10 laminates? Anyways, will be picking one up for sure.

This is kinda cool... so I looked on the Spyderco forum link above, and when they said that VG10 and this cobalt special is closely related, I went into my kitchen and looked at my Shun Alton's Angle 6" Utility (which is supposed to be VG10) - it says:

Cobalt. M.V. Steel
MADE IN JAPAN

Now how'bout that?

I wonder if this cobalt special steel is the same steel that is used in Tojiro DP kitchen knives. They also have a stainless core that "sandwiched" between two layers of softer outer stainless steel. It's always been kind of a mystery exactly what steel they use but the steel on those knives performs really well.

One of these beauties are on its way to ME!!!! :D

We'll see how these will come out :) I'm still seeing what I will do in terms of making my own handles... Hmm... options, options....

Gosh,

I just ordered mine today and came here to see pics of those received by others .........

but had to go back FIVE pages to find this announcement. Is interest in the Mules waning? Is this just not a popular steel? Or is it just the economy?

Anyway I'm glad to now have all of the first TEN after #9 arrives

Back