MT09P Mule Team featuring Cobalt Special

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by tazkristi, Feb 23, 2011.

1. tazkristi

tazkristi Spyderco Moderator Moderator

Apr 20, 2005
    MT09P – Mule Team Fixed Blade featuring Cobalt Special

MT09P will be available for sale on Tuesday, 1-Mar-2011 at 1000 (MDT)

All sales will be handled by the Spyderco Factory Outlet store online at www.spyderco.com.

Maximum Purchase Allowed: 2

Cost: $ $84.95 each

Domestic Shipping: Standard Shipping rates apply.

International Shipping:
    International shipments will be sent out according to our International Shipping Schedule:
    Shopping Cart Total: $0-$99 - Shipping/Handling Charge $25
    Shopping Cart Total: $100-$399 - Shipping/Handling Charge $35
    Shopping Cart Total: $400 and higher - Shipping/Handling Charge $50

International shipments will be via USPS International Priority Mail. Please be aware, we will have limited tracking capabilities. Tracking once it leaves the US is dependent upon the postal services outside the US and their ability to provide it. However, this will completely eliminate UPS Brokerage Fees.

About Cobalt Special:
    Takefu is a premier Japanese steel company specializing in the production of steels used for household and industrial cutlery. They produce blades using clad steel. Clad steels are a composite of different metals some hard, some softer, fused or bonded to each other. Paring different steel types together elevates performance by combining the best characteristics of each material and where the steels overlay each other, a fine Hamon or line develops. Traditional Japanese swords featured clad steels, layering tough harder steel with softer bendable ones which resulted in a steel combination that made them difficult to break or bend. Spyderco’s MT09 Mule Team is Takefu’s Cobalt Special steel enveloped within slices of SUS420J2. The two steels laminated as one boost toughness, improve corrosion resistance and generate lasting sharpness in a blade that is relatively easy to sharpen.

What is the Mule Team:
    For those of you unfamiliar with our Mule Team Project, it is unique to Spyderco. In-house we call knife samples designed and built for testing and evaluation Mules. We know a healthy percentage of knife users are interested in different blade steels and their performance abilities. Running with that, we released an ongoing Mule Team Project. Several times per year we unveil the same single-piece fixed blade patterned knife in a different and exotic blade steel. This lets steel-obsessed knife knuts test, try and use something normally not offered to the industry. Product runs are limited to 600 – 1000 pieces of each steel type depending on foundry requirements.

Mule Blades are leaf-shaped with a sharpened and finished PlainEdge blade but with an unfinished handle providing a do-it-yourself opportunity. The unfinished handle has a series of holes for attaching custom handle scales or for wrapping with para-cord. Each piece is sold without handle scales or a carry sheath focusing the project on the blade steel. This opens endless creative possibilities for the owner to design their own handle scale and carry options.

*The composition for Cobalt Special will be added to the steel chart here on our site very soon. We're working on it now.

2. mwalle6

mwalle6

Apr 11, 2010
    Kewl!

3. lmcq784

lmcq784 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 5, 2010
    Shweeet!

4. RevDevil

RevDevil

Nov 9, 2009
    How awesome is that! I'll be picking up a couple. Thanks!

5. Nukemkb

Nukemkb Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 20, 2005
    Thanks! It's on my calendar now!:thumbup:

6. JNewell

JNewell

Nov 18, 2005
    Damascus?

7. greater

greater

Jul 17, 2006

Not shipped to New York City. Not passing any judgement I can understand your reasoning and I know you guys took a bad hit in court with the spyderfly.

That said I am impressed.

8. The Deacon

The Deacon

Apr 27, 2003
    Are you sure? AFAIK, fixed blades are exempt from that.

9. woodysone

woodysone Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 21, 2005
    Thanks for the update, always enjoy the chance to use new steels. Anyone have extras of the first three? Martin

10. shunsui

shunsui Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 12, 2008
    I think they ship the Mule's to NY. I recall another post about that. Some misinformation on the website or something. If you give them a call I think they can work it out.

11. pwet

pwet

Feb 13, 2009
    any infos on the core steel ??

thanks .

12. The Deacon

The Deacon

Apr 27, 2003
    Might want to have a look at this thread on the Spyderco Forum, and particularly the posts by Mike Janich and Sal.

13. woodysone

woodysone Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 21, 2005
    Thanks Deacon, This blade really peaks my interest now. It would be fun to lean more about how the super steel is clad and how far back it goes. Do you think an acid bath will bring out the lamination line more or will it be plainly visible like other VG-10 laminates? Anyways, will be picking one up for sure.

14. lmcq784

Feb 5, 2010
    This is kinda cool... so I looked on the Spyderco forum link above, and when they said that VG10 and this cobalt special is closely related, I went into my kitchen and looked at my Shun Alton's Angle 6" Utility (which is supposed to be VG10) - it says:

Cobalt. M.V. Steel
    MADE IN JAPAN

Now how'bout that?

15. mongatu

mongatu

Jan 11, 2008
    I wonder if this cobalt special steel is the same steel that is used in Tojiro DP kitchen knives. They also have a stainless core that "sandwiched" between two layers of softer outer stainless steel. It's always been kind of a mystery exactly what steel they use but the steel on those knives performs really well.

16. lmcq784

Feb 5, 2010
    One of these beauties are on its way to ME!!!! :D

We'll see how these will come out :) I'm still seeing what I will do in terms of making my own handles... Hmm... options, options....

17. teacher

teacher

Apr 11, 2001
    Got a couple also. Looking forward to giving one a try. :thumbup:

18. Nukemkb

Nukemkb Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 20, 2005
    Mine is on order...that makes all 10!

19. shunsui

shunsui Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 12, 2008
    In for one. Let the slicing begin. ;)

20. HaroldB

HaroldB

Dec 9, 2007
    Gosh,

I just ordered mine today and came here to see pics of those received by others .........

but had to go back FIVE pages to find this announcement. Is interest in the Mules waning? Is this just not a popular steel? Or is it just the economy?

Anyway I'm glad to now have all of the first TEN after #9 arrives