MT18P – Mule Team Fixed Blade featuring CPM-S110V

Mine were delayed due to the snow storm but got them today. Love the Taichung laser engraving, especially the bug. Anyone else notice the lack of flash remaining in the spydie and handle holes? Taiwan production for the win!

My mule just landed(snow delayed) first impression,sharp as all get out.
Beautiful edge I wonder if they use a surface grinder for the final edge cause it is near perfect.
Now to get some wood for handle.

Anyone else notice the lack of flash remaining in the spydie and handle holes? Taiwan production for the win!

I noticed that the Halpern scale pins dropped in very cleanly on the MT18. I normally expect to need to bump one of the pins to get it to insert on my other mules.
I heard that Halpern was adjusting the diameter of their pins in the future to improve insertion but it wouldn't be necessary on this knife.

Mine were delayed due to the snow storm but got them today. Love the Taichung laser engraving, especially the bug. Anyone else notice the lack of flash remaining in the spydie and handle holes? Taiwan production for the win!

Also the lack of the indexing notch in the small holes. Maybe they have a more souped up cutting laser ;)

My mule just landed(snow delayed) first impression,sharp as all get out.
Beautiful edge I wonder if they use a surface grinder for the final edge cause it is near perfect.
Now to get some wood for handle.
I wondered the same thing as well. the grind was perfect. I wonder if this is the first mule out of Taiwan? Every Spydie I have from that plant rocks!

I wondered the same thing as well. the grind was perfect. I wonder if this is the first mule out of Taiwan? Every Spydie I have from that plant rocks!

Yes, I believe it is. The rest were made in the US except the ones with Chinese and Japanese steel, which were made in China and Japan. It'a a win-win since we get the great quality control plus freeing up some production space at Golden so they can give us even more goodies. :thumbup:

Thought I'd add in my 2 cents. Mine came in this last week and I'm very impressed. The finish on these is top notch. Quite often, I have to grind off the extra slag in the holes so that my pins will fit. This one came absolutely clean, with smooth walls. While the bevel may be ground a bit steep, it is one of the most consistent I've ever received. I'm glad that Taichung is jumping on the Mule train and I look forward to their future offerings.

I'm not a huge Spydie guy (only have a few) and was a bit surprised to get my MT18 today and see Taiwan on it. My MT17 says USA on it and this is my first one made outside Golden that I have purchased.

Reminds me of the exact same feeling I had when I purchased a nice set of Blue Point ratchet box-end wrenches (that I wanted forever--I'm not a mechanic but love tools). I ripped the box open in my truck driving away from the Snap-On truck to find they were stamped Taiwan. Not demeaning the quality of anything made overseas, just a bit surprised.

I will say that my MT17 had a bow in it but my MT18 doesn't--knife looks perfect in every way and my Halpern CF scales went on smooth as silk. The knife quality looks great and I love anything in S110V. Best steel available IMHO. Can't wait to put her on the Wicked Edge for 15° per side...

I agree that seeing a Crucible steel Mule from Taichung is a surprise, but in fact it is a very pleasant surprise once you think about it. The quality of the products shipped by Taichung is second to none in the production class.

Arrgh.
Saw this post, and went back and bought another! Closed my browser three times before I finally went back and finished the transaction.
I am overcompensating since I only got one mt17. Three mt18 should ease the pain...

edit - still limit of two.
Not a bad thing - more people will get to enjoy. Good thing I didn't order that other set of scales...

Last edited:
I'm not a huge Spydie guy (only have a few) and was a bit surprised to get my MT18 today and see Taiwan on it. My MT17 says USA on it and this is my first one made outside Golden that I have purchased.

Reminds me of the exact same feeling I had when I purchased a nice set of Blue Point ratchet box-end wrenches (that I wanted forever--I'm not a mechanic but love tools). I ripped the box open in my truck driving away from the Snap-On truck to find they were stamped Taiwan. Not demeaning the quality of anything made overseas, just a bit surprised.

I will say that my MT17 had a bow in it but my MT18 doesn't--knife looks perfect in every way and my Halpern CF scales went on smooth as silk. The knife quality looks great and I love anything in S110V. Best steel available IMHO. Can't wait to put her on the Wicked Edge for 15° per side...
Off topic:
Yeah I had the same thing happen to me. I even was under the impression that the Blue-Point line was the fancier version of Snap-On's tools, and thought I was getting a deal! While you do get what you pay for in quality tools, sometimes the Blue-Point type lines are perfect for certain things. Torx drivers for example, that we all in the knife world deal with all the time... The cheaper tools will twist and mar before you can break loctite on some threads, while a Wiha torx driver will take the torque quite well. I used to go in swings between spending on tools vs knives, but since my job has changed it has been mostly blades ;)

Back on topic:
I am seriously impressed with the quality of the MT18, and will likely be looking into Spyderco's other Taichung offerings as well. The other forum members here speak very highly of the quality of the Domino and Southard, so I will be seriously considering those two.

hey anyone wanna order me one and i will paypal you money plus extra for the trouble? lost my wallet recently and had to cancel cards, can only use paypal atm. :(

Edit: Nevermind!

Last edited:
Back