Mud Turtle Passaround

Hey guys. In Lieu of the recent giveaway by Daniel here on the JK forum i would like to do a Passaround with my Mud Turtle.
Since i won the Giveaway knife i thought it only right to do something in return for Daniel's generosity.

Lets get this thing started.

The rules are simple and just like any other passaround done here. The recipient can keep the knife for up to two weeks. In that time the recipient must use the knife however they see fit, dont be afraid to put it to work! Pictures must be posted of the knife in action and a review of User Experience must be posted. The knife must be shipped insured to the next person in line. The line up will start with whoever signs up first and end with whoever sings up last. Ill let the sign up period last a week to give folks enough time to see it here.

Thanks for the great community guys! Its always a pleasure to be here! :D

1- TPVT
2- YoungCurmudgeon
3- mqqn
4- kysteve
5- arskrg
6- 3fifty7

Last edited:
I'm in (if you'll have me)! i've eyed the mud turtle a time or two. would love to be able to take a closer look. thanks Heath!

I would be honored to be allowed to participate!

best

mqqn

You got a good group going, maybe this will convince YC to finally put handles on his! ;)

You got a good group going, maybe this will convince YC to finally put handles on his! ;)

Using this opportunity to "play with" a Mud Turtle as self-motivation to finish my own MT was 2nd in my mind of reasons to participate. First, obviously, was to get my hands (if only temporarily) on another JK.

Ha! called out! :D

and YC, i'm laughing with ya buddy, not at ya. i've had John's camp knife for (what?) a year? at least, i'd say, and it still sits handleless. :eek:

I wouldn't take offense if you were laughing at me. I deserve it (for this and probably a lot of other things).
Beyond laziness (which I'll cop to), my biggest excuse is indecision on handle material.
I prefer natural materials (I've got a nice hunk of elk stag to use on the Hiker III I haven't worked on (I'll blame fear of ruining the stag for hesitancy on that one)).
But micarta or G10 would make a ton of sense on the Mud Turtle XL blank.

OR wouldn't that big knife look really nice with ebony scales, or Zircote, or...

Last edited:
I will say that the Micarta scales on this one are perfect for my use. Im not afraid to throw it down in the dirt or gravel. I never have to worry about it shrinking or cracking. And there is no upkeep on keeping the handles in good working condition, such as oiling like you have to do on wood handles.

I wouldn't take offense if you were laughing at me. I deserve it (for this and probably a lot of other things).
Beyond laziness (which I'll cop to), my biggest excuse is indecision on handle material.
I prefer natural materials (I've got a nice hunk of elk stag to use on the Hiker III I haven't worked on (I'll blame fear of ruining the stag for hesitancy on that one)).
But micarta or G10 would make a ton of sense on the Mud Turtle XL blank.

OR wouldn't that big knife look really nice with ebony scales, or Zircote, or...

i hear ya. it takes me a while to decide on the "look". i have plenty of materials, but inevitably, i end up deciding on something i don't have. go figure.

I will say that the Micarta scales on this one are perfect for my use. Im not afraid to throw it down in the dirt or gravel. I never have to worry about it shrinking or cracking. And there is no upkeep on keeping the handles in good working condition, such as oiling like you have to do on wood handles.

yes, most often i am drawn to a knife via it's handle. sure, the blade geometry/specs have to be what i'm looking for, but the handle HAS to be comfortable for me to like a knife (for obvious reasons). this is what drew me to this mud turtle. the handle shape looks like one that will work for my hand. :thumbup:

Cant wait to see pics and reviews. I have the first MT John made I think??
I also have one with a 6in blade and love them both!!!

Very nice of you to give folks a chance to check out a great looking JK pattern Heath, I've always liked the look of the Mud Turtle.
I wouldn't be able to put it to use any time soon so I gotta pass on your fine offer.

Shipping this thing out today. I sure thought more than 3 of yall would sign up.

Ill leave it open for another week in case some people missed it.

The MT is on its way to the first customer!

I touched up the edge for you Todd so be careful. :cool:

Could I get in on this I have had so much going on I had almost for got to check on my daughter's knife,I'll check back and see if I got added,thanks all. Steve

Back