Mule Team HRc Information

Added placeholder for MT17P (K390) - please keep those cards and letters coming. ;) There are several versions with no data yet.

Its pretty cool that I take my own blades to metalex in berthoud colorado for my heat treating. The same company that does spydercos, really small facility. The old man that does it all is Don, and he knows his stuff. I've had tremendous results through them, and they test every batch for consistancy. He's the man when it comes to HT around my neck of the woods.

Spyderco has been very consistent with their production steel heat treats. They had a boggle of some kind on one of the mules, then corrected it with a heat treat that makes the Cruwear into one of the very best mules IMO. Sal has described his heat treat guy as pretty smart, and good at what he does. I have no arguments with my knives as users. To be honest though Japan and Taiwan have done really well too. Even Byrds have been very consistent. I have used, and given away about a dozen to my kids co workers and friends and do their resharpening too and find the Byrd 8C about the easiest steel to edge I've seen outside Inox and 12C, Swiss army knives and other pretty low carbon stainless steels.

Is the Cobalt Special difficult to test since it is a clad steel? Would it have to be tested close to the edge to get an accurate reading?

Updated with additional MT18 information from JLS and Ankerson. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Thanks for keeping this thread updated, JNewell. Hopefully, it will become a sticky.

I'm sad to see the S110V mule come in so soft. Spyderco left a lot of potential wear resistance behind in the furnace by going with 60 HRc. If the company had taken the steel up three points, the M18 mule -- especially with the thin shoulder width of roughly 0.015 inches (my K390 mule is 0.026)-- would have been the slicing machine from hell.

Crucible shows a huge gain in wear resistance when S110V is taken from 60 HRc to 63 HRc.

https://www.crucible.com/PDFs/\DataSheets2010\Datasheet CPM S110Vv12010.pdf

Thanks for keeping this thread updated, JNewell. Hopefully, it will become a sticky.

I'm sad to see the S110V mule come in so soft. Spyderco left a lot of potential wear resistance behind in the furnace by going with 60 HRc. If the company had taken the steel up three points, the M18 mule -- especially with the thin shoulder width of roughly 0.015 inches (my K390 mule is 0.026)-- would have been the slicing machine from hell.

Crucible shows a huge gain in wear resistance when S110V is taken from 60 HRc to 63 HRc.

https://www.crucible.com/PDFs/\DataSheets2010\Datasheet CPM S110Vv12010.pdf

You could say the same thing about the Elmax being at 58/59. You see more benefits at 61 or 62 RC for Elmax. But it is a good test.

I'd like to update this for MT19, the PSF27 Mule. Has anyone tested this one?

Back