Multi-tool abuse

Since multi-tools are often expedients for when proper tools are unavailable, they get used for things they shouldn't sometimes. How have you damaged your multi-tools?

My SAK Huntsman was used for everything since I got it in about 1983 or so. The only abuse it shows are cosmetic: pits/scratches on the scales, and a bunch of battery acid stains on the main blade (from cutting open acid containers to fill lawn tractor batteries). Oh yeah - when I was a kid I tried to repair a loose scale with super glue without removing the toothpick; you know what happened . . . After I discovered Leatherman, the SAK stopped getting heavy duty use.

My LM Wave has gotten loose and wobbly over the past five years I've owned it, the philips driver is slightly twisted (still functional), and the smallest screwdriver got its tip broken off because I used it as an awl once (I reground it, but it's not totally back up to snuff).

I try not to "abuse" my multi-tools and knives. Knives I am much better at taking good care of because I don't use most of them. I have retired three multi's in the 10 years I've used them at work:

1. Schrade Tough Tool: Used from 1996 to 1998 both at work and at home, retired for the Craftsman Pro Multi-tool. Schrade had no damages but lettering nearly worn off handle.

2. Craftsman Pro: My first one lasted only a year and had busted screwdriver tip and well worn knife blade.

3.Craftsman Pro: I'm still using this one even though the bottle opener broke when I used it to pry something open. I'd trade it in but they replace the Pro tool with something else now.

At home I've used a Leatherman Wave for about four years now and the only damages are scratches from getting called into work with it and disassembling a pump. My other half dozen multi's are either retired from home use or have yet to see active duty.

I also have carried a Leatherman Pulse at work and try to reserve it only for simple jobs. It's in mint condition after three years ;)

Hello,

My SwissTool awl got a small dent when we used it to widen a screw hole to fix a laptop hinge. Also, the file hacksaw chipped a tooth or two when I used it to saw thru an iron frame of a window (to pass a cable thru). Its wavy edge blade also has some wear from stripping and splicing AWG18 telephone dropwire.

I also slightly bent more than one slotted screwdriver on my other multi's (Leatherman & Gerber) during daily use.

=)

Back