Multi-tool for Bicycle

My dad has this crappy multi-tool that he keeps in his bike. It was one of my old ones that I gave to him. He says its fine but I would like to get him a new one. The tools don't lock on the one he has. The only thing going for it is that it is slim and lightweight.

Can anyone suggest some options for multitools that are lightweight that would be good to keep in his small bike bag?

(Or tell me ones to stay away from)

Thanks
-Steven

If you are looking for a slim light-weight tool that has locking tools, check out the Leatherman Fuse. It's the same size as the old PST, but all the tools lock.

If you want to go super light weight, check out the LM Skeletool. Not a lot of reach or tools, but it gets most jobs done.

You might even check out one of the one piece frog tools that were basically made for bicycles. They have a couple of wrench slots, a prying area, and I think a valve stem tool. Cheap cheap cheap.

I too have one of the older Aliens. For a bike it's a handy multitool. It's flat, fairly lightweight plus it has a chain tool and a bottle opener!

Chad

Does he have a bicycle specific mutli-tool?

The Park, Filzer ot Topeak are the best of these.

My vote for the Fuse. Excellent tool for biking. You can get the kick but it doesn't have locking tools, but a positive is if he dont like the sheath (for the kick), you can buy a pocket clip for it for $5

+2 on the Topeak's. My chain tool has come in handy on more than one ride!

Jeff

Is the bike bag you speak of something your father carries on his person? Or is it strapped to the bike?

I ask because if it is strapped to the bike, weight--to me anyway--is less of a concern.

I bike commute to work, pretty much 5/5/week, and have a small bag (actually a removable day-pack pocket) of tools and bike accoutrements (like a bike shell, some lights, rags, a hi-viz sash, etc.) and it's not lightweight.

However, I strap it to the top of my rear bike rack (with a couple of small-calibre bungi cords, which I have anchored to the rack with a couple of zip-ties). It is centred, securely attached (but quickly removable) and the bike takes the weight--I frankly don't even know it's there.

Just my two cents.

I like the Crank Brothers M-5. Cheap, light, thin, all the tools I need and nothing I don't need.

Bike specific tools are the best. I have a Park tool, but I have seen the Crank Bros. one and would seriously recommend it. Most newer bikes can be almost completely operated on with a small specialized bike tool. Older bikes may be best served with a small 6" adjustable wrench and a few screwdrivers... say, Spyderwrench anyone?

I bought a Topeak Alien for my road bike. I liked it so much, I bought another to keep on my cyclocross bike and another to give to a buddy for Christmas. I think it's the ultimate bicycling multi-tool.

Stay sharp,
desmobob

I love the Crank Bros M-17. Pretty much everything you need on a bike. And it's pretty solid and compact.

Back