Multi-tool forum?

Guys,
Tsk,Tsk! There are "ONLY" two MULTI TOOLS OUT THERE!!The SOG Powerlock & the SOG Paratool!They are the BEST,then you have the rest!!(INCOMING!!DUCKING ,RUNNING FOR COVER):D Maybe a "little"controversy will show,there IS a need!!
Jim

multitool forum = good idea

besides it's bound to get more traffic than some of the forums on this site. i love the site but there are some real dogs.

hear us o spark. shine upon us with thine messageboard. turn your ear to our cry and grant us the desires of our heart. amen.

Originally posted by jim_l_clifton
Guys,
Tsk,Tsk! There are "ONLY" two MULTI TOOLS OUT THERE!!The SOG Powerlock & the SOG Paratool!They are the BEST,then you have the rest!!(INCOMING!!DUCKING ,RUNNING FOR COVER):D Maybe a "little"controversy will show,there IS a need!!
Jim
There is only one multi-tool manufacturer - LEATHERMAN! :D :D :D ;)
Hey, jim_l_clifton, brothers as long as you use a multi-tool:D
If there is a concern that there won't be enough traffic for multi-tools alone I'm all for a multi-took/SAK combination as PWork
proposed.

Originally posted by jim_l_clifton
Guys,
Jim

See? There's evidence right there that we need a multi-tool forum. Poor Jim has been walking around carrying inferior multi's all this time. If we had a forum we could have helped the poor guy out with a little edgeucation about really good multi's like...nah, I'll wait 'til the new forum is up before going there.

Mike

Well,I can see,we have some rank beginners here!! Supertool,I'll start with you first!!:D L was good in it's day,but NOW!! Po-leese!!
It's still a decent tool if you have NOTHING ELSE available,kinda whimpy next to the SOG!!:p i THINK i WOULD EVEN TAKE A GERBER,overan L Mike!! INFER....TOOLS! WHY YOU.....!! YOU probably have one of those Swiss tools..they look GOOD on a belt until the REAL work starts! Never heard of anybody breaking a SOG!Haven't seen anyone who uses(notice I said uses;)a SOG switch toanything else!!Aww,wait a minute ! I'm not being fair!Mike,I'm sure you like your Muti,cause it's a fashion statement!! You know,"it looks good on your belt"!Inferior my ***! Yeah!! guys we need to let people know what the BEST MULTI IS..so they can get an honest evaluation,spend their hard earned $$ on the right Multi..."SOG"!!:D
Jim

Having a separate multi-tool forum is a fantastic idea if the mods are up to the extra work.

In addition to hosting multi-tool discussions a multi-tool forum could serve as a convenient place to archive "hall of fame" posts and reviews, as well as a great place for manufacturers to obtain feedback from enthusiasts.

I'm going to move this over to Service & Support, where Spark will see it and where this discussion can continue.

[blastjv: If your dad broke his SOG, he must have had a rare flawed one and SOG does have a lifetime guarantee.]

I imagine most of us have had a variety of SAKs and multitools. I've gone through a few myself.

My all-time greatest has to be the original Leatherman Supertool. The only tool it lacked, for me, was a scissors. The Micra filled in for that, and as a quick, public tool for lightweight carry. Then I found the Pulse. The only tool that lacked was a saw, at a time when I had less need for a saw than before, and the Pulse is an excellent size, really no bigger than a large Juice.

Gerber has its good points. I have an 800 but I never used it on a regular basis. Lightweight but huge, at least the pliers are spring-loaded. The replaceable saw is clever, but it's not the kind of saw I like or ever need. The tools seem small and there's no can opener.

The SOG Powerlock is the only multi I've ever owned that has "everything" but it pays for that in outweighing the family car. What a mass of metal! and for all that weight, the tools are also small as the Gerber's. The powerplier mechanism is clever, but obtrusive and uncomfortable and I don't need it. I've got a strong enough grip for the kind of work I do.

Nevertheless, just before I got the SOG, I sent my other multis off to the troops about to go in to Iraq. So I have to say, I've been happy to have the SOG Powerlock for those times (out hiking, traveling far from home) when I want a portable toolkit. It is complete and can handle relatively heavy-duty jobs.

As EDC, I carry a Victorinox Ranger in a Maxpedition M2 (along with my harmonica and cellphone!) and a Vic. miniChamp whether or not I'm wearing the M2.

But the perfect multitool hasn't been built yet.

[QUOTEBut the perfect multitool hasn't been built yet. [/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks for the terrific write-up. Do you have any experience with the Leatherman Crunch? That one's caught my eye as smaller than the Supertool but robust. I like the drivers Leatherman makes and prefer them to the SOG and especially the Victorinox.

Is SOG the only mfg. that lets you swap out the standard tools for others? I like that they have a scissors, but until they build them better they're all but useless.

I have never handled the Crunch. It looks interesting, with the locking pliers, making it one of the real-world tools available in the format. I understand the Kershaw is pretty good, too, but I've never handled one of those, either. Every Kershaw I have ever owned or handled has impressed me with its design and quality.

I came to multitools from SAKs and Vise-Grips. I always carried a small Vise-Grip and a two-headed screwdriver, the kind with a philips at one end and a flat-head at the other, at right angles to the shaft. Anything around the workfloor or the office or the trucks that didn't fit right got adjusted! -- even if I wasn't the authorized technician. At least when I fixed them they worked.

I was talking with a couple of guys in a local bike shop and they told me they discouraged people from using Vise-Grips on bicycles because they tended to strip screws with them. I can understand their concern, but I never had that problem -- once they told me to watch out for it :p

I recently picked up a Wenger PocketGrip, which I find very comfortable. I will see if my daughter wants it, though, since she does a lot of work putting computers and related devices together. I think this will appeal to her.

I do like the SOG, even if some of the tools are just good enough. I think of multi scissors as thread-snippers, that's all, and the SOG's do fine at that. The handles open like a bali, with a flip, and the tools come out without clumping. The lock mechanism is strong and easy to release. What's not to like? It's just TOO BIG.

Originally posted by KnifeRat
[QUOTEBut the perfect multitool hasn't been built yet.

Thanks for the terrific write-up. Do you have any experience with the Leatherman Crunch? That one's caught my eye as smaller than the Supertool but robust. [/B][/QUOTE]

LM Crunch is a great tool. I like the locking mechanism as well as there is hardly any clumping when opening the tools. Feels solid as a rock in the hand.
ESAV I also like the ST and Micra combo combined with my Crunch. Can do anything.

I am concerned with the thought of a perfect multi. Will stick to carrying more than one ALWAYS. :cool:

Logically speaking, there can't be a perfect multi. It would be immense, heavy, clumsy -- a state the PowerLock approaches already. Better to have a big, capable workshop sort of tool and a small, personal function pocket-size or keychain backup.

Maybe we could design a theoretical non-overlapping pair or trio.

((It is now almost 3:00 AM. I will return to this during daylight hours, when I can think straight! :D ))

I feel a multitool forum would be fine and should be dedicated to all multitool types, that is, Leatherman type, SAK type, Wrench with tools in handle, gadgety types like Spyderwrench, Schrade Navitool, etc.

I´ve had and/or used many of the common folding plier multitools, Leatherman, SOG, Gerber, Victorinox, Buck, Crunch, Juice, cheap ones. etc. I still use my original Leatherman for EDC, sometimes I take the sideclip.

My ideal folding plier multitool would not have a kife blade, I prefer a separate knife for cutting, it should be customizable by having the handle tools easily removable/interchangeable/replaceable.

Folks, I don't want to sound like a jerk, but there are sure a lot of BASIC members here, asking Spark to create a forum that does cost money to maintain and create.

I'm politely suggesting to you basic members that you upgrade to a Gold membership, and help support not only the forums as a whole, but to help support your multi-tool forum.

We all derive great benefits from the forums, and most of you have made some good points on why we need a multi tool forum. Show Spark that you are willing to help support this site financially, and he'll more than likely respond with a new forum.

Thanks everyone, for your support.

Back