Multi-tool grinder

For the price @$500, would you guys consider this to be a good machine for basic grinding of blades? Anyone ever use one? I was wanting to get a Grizzly 2x72, but they don't ship to Canada. I was looking at the Sears 2x42, but they don't ship to Canada either and they only sell them in the US locations. I don't really want a big grinder that is going to cost big bucks. I don't need variable speed, nor do I want to do any hollow grinding. I would actually prefer a 2x48 over a 2x72 because then I can still use the belts from my 6x48 sander and cut them into three 2" belts. There is also the 2x48 Hurricane grinder, but it only has a 3/4hp motor. I don't know, but the 1hp sounds like it would be better though, more power. The Grizzly only has a 1hp motor I think and it does well from what I've heard. So what do you guys think of this (see attached link) Jet grinder with the 2x48 Multi-tool attachment. Do you figure it will it grind better/faster than my 6x48 that seems kinda slow on steel? Your opinions are much appreciated. Thanks.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/1-HP-JET-Belt-Disc-Grinder-w-2x48-Multitool_W0QQitemZ170406275254QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item27ad0168b6

I like my Kalamazoo 2FS 2x48 powered by a 1.5HP, but having the contact wheel mounted on the idler side like the Jet makes sense.

That was my first machine years ago. The bummer was it was underpowered and after about a year the motor burned up and then it was a boat anchor. If for knifemaking you really should look at a 2 x 72. No money savings using cut up 2 x 48 inch belts as sometimes they will not track right. 2 x 72 belts will have a longer life and there are places you can get good prices that will ship to Canada. Spending a little extra at first will make you happy in the long run. I know as I have been there. Here is a link for a Kalamazoo 2 x 72 without motor. Can always get bigger motor or re-place if burns up. http://www.kalamazooindustries.com/belt_sanders.html Just cant say enough about going with 2 x 72 over a 2 x 48

The Suremak two wheel grinder is an excellent grinder. 8" Contact wheel, small wheel attachment, pyro glass flat platten, and very well built. I don't think you can find a better 2 wheel grinder. But you will have about have about 1000 into it when all setup with motor, belt, pulley, small contact wheels, and shipping.

My only caution is the customer service. My grinder arrive a month later then promise. The own sent 2" and 3" contact wheels free to make up for the delay, but never sent the 1" wheel that I paid for. During the delay and since I have received the grinder there has been zero response to my e-mails and phone calls.

I upgraded from a 1 X 30 to this grinder. It has reduced the profiling and bevel grinding from about 6 hours (profile on 1 x 30, file in purge, grind bevel, clean up via draw filing and hand sanding) to about 1 hour.

James

The Coote is a very good and versatile grinder for the price. Norm Coote is very helpful. You can pick up a used motor pretty easily on Craiglist or Ebay. Get at least a 1hp. I have had mine for 2 years with no problems.

I started out with the multitool 8" model. It has paid for every tool in my shop, including the Bader B3 that I now use. I still find uses for it, but I don't know how I lived without the Bader. I think it's a good unit to start with, but buy the best you can afford.

for that kind of money you could build an NWG and have a much better tool. i now have a KMG Clone i have made and i also don't know how i lived with out it.

See I don't want to just go out and buy the best thing I can possibly buy now... (the wife would probably kill me anyways:eek:). After all, I need something to wish for maybe a couple years from now. The 2x72 I see as something to build up to, look forward to. Right now I just want something that is not too terribly expensive, but still a decently enough made machine, that will hog steel so that I can make some big bowie knives. My 6x48 is just kinda slow for flat grinding 1/4" steel stock. I need something more aggressive that will not break the bank account. I plan on selling some of those bowie knives and from that I can buy my 2x72.:D I do understand the philosophy though of getting the best you can afford, but I would like to have some money left over to buy some steel with. No point in having the best grinder, but not being able to afford steel to grind on.:p I can wait for the best...the best days are yet to come. The Multitool looks like (as some have indicated) it would be a pretty versatile machine. Even when I upgrade to a 2x72, it should still come in handy around the shop.

I do appreciate all your guy's suggestions. I am considering all of them as a possibility.

Last edited:
That Craftsman 2x42 is a very good machine.I mostly do handle work on it ,but it will grind blades pretty well.I got mine for $99. shipped.Surely there is some way to get one to Canada.

That Craftsman 2x42 is a very good machine.I mostly do handle work on it ,but it will grind blades pretty well.I got mine for $99. shipped.Surely there is some way to get one to Canada.

How is the 2x42 at grinding big blades with lots of steel to remove? Is it good that way? I don't really care if it's fast. If I want to go slower, I'll just switch over to the 6x48. I don't need variable speed because I found a much better way to work down to the finer grits. I just wish more places shipped to Canada.

Last edited:
How is the 2x42 at grinding big blades with lots of steel to remove? Is it good that way? I don't really care if it's fast. If I want to go slower, I'll just switch over to the 6x48. I don't need variable speed because I found a much better way to work down to the finer grits. I just wish more places shipped to Canada.

Course grit belts equal fast stock removal.For the money,it's a real buy.

I am currently using the 2x42 craftsman and saving up for a Bader3. I have some knives in the gallery I have made with it. It will work, just not the best.

That was my first machine years ago. The bummer was it was underpowered and after about a year the motor burned up and then it was a boat anchor. If for knifemaking you really should look at a 2 x 72. No money savings using cut up 2 x 48 inch belts as sometimes they will not track right. 2 x 72 belts will have a longer life and there are places you can get good prices that will ship to Canada. Spending a little extra at first will make you happy in the long run. I know as I have been there. Here is a link for a Kalamazoo 2 x 72 without motor. Can always get bigger motor or re-place if burns up. http://www.kalamazooindustries.com/belt_sanders.html Just cant say enough about going with 2 x 72 over a 2 x 48

I'm curious If you are referring specifically to the Multi-tool bench grinder attachment or maybe like a linisher type machine where the belt grinding part is permanently afffixed to the machine? With the Multi-tool you are supposed to be able to take it off the grinder and re-attach to a different grinder. I can see how one of the other machines where the wheel and belt parts are permanently affixed to the same unit can burn out and effectively become a boat anchor. :D I have heard others say they used their Multi-tool for years without any problems, so this makes me curious.:confused:

Back