Multitool for an Electrician

DaveReb

Gold Member
Like the title says I'm looking for a multi-tool to carry, that is a good fit for my trade. I just bought a Paladin/SOG Powerplay 540, used off the board. While it has everything I could ever need, it is like carrying a brick at
13oz's. I mainly want a mulitool to supplement my main work tools, because the tool I need, generall falls out of my pocket, and is laying at least 8ft down on the ground...lol. My main needs would be needlenose pliers, phillips and standard screwdrivers, soft and hardwire cutters, strippers for 14-to 10ga, crimpers and a drywall saw. A blade would be useful as well but not a necessity, cause I always have a knife clipped in my pocket. Anyways I'm definitely interested in finding something that fits my needs, that won't require a back support to carry:D

Thanks
Davereb

My Leatherman Wave (New model) has all those. It has a clip blade, serrated blade, saw, and wood/metal file on the outside. The knives can be opened with one hand, but the saw and file you have to use your finger to open, but they all open easy and use the liner lock style to hold them in place. The saw is top notch! Cut so many things with it, and it is just waiting for more. It has a hard and soft wire cutter, but like most reviews say, it is not meant for huge wire like a 2 ga or anything like that. It also has a wire stripper built into the base of the bottle/can opener. As far as a screw driver, it has a standard flathead screw driver, which I use for light prying, but it has a universal bit holder. It comes with a philips and regular screwdriver bit on one side, and the other handle holds a small bit for small screws like eye glasses and stuff like that, but it is versital and you can buy an additional screw driver bit kit, and it has many different bits, (ie, philips, regular, torx, and I think some allen). All in all this tool has helped me out in many ways. Some people like the Charge better though because it has titanium handles and s30v knives, while the Wave has stainless handles, and 420HC blades. I paid $70 for mine, but the Charge is about $30-$40 more. Some say its well worth it, but I love my Wave. I am generally not one to carry around stuff on my belt, but I do just too keep the wave with me, and just last night I placed an order for a pocket clip/lanyard ring so I can have it on hand in my pocket.

DaveReb

Gold Member
My Leatherman Wave (New model) has all those. It has a clip blade, serrated blade, saw, and wood/metal file on the outside. The knives can be opened with one hand, but the saw and file you have to use your finger to open, but they all open easy and use the liner lock style to hold them in place. The saw is top notch! Cut so many things with it, and it is just waiting for more. It has a hard and soft wire cutter, but like most reviews say, it is not meant for huge wire like a 2 ga or anything like that. It also has a wire stripper built into the base of the bottle/can opener. As far as a screw driver, it has a standard flathead screw driver, which I use for light prying, but it has a universal bit holder. It comes with a philips and regular screwdriver bit on one side, and the other handle holds a small bit for small screws like eye glasses and stuff like that, but it is versital and you can buy an additional screw driver bit kit, and it has many different bits, (ie, philips, regular, torx, and I think some allen). All in all this tool has helped me out in many ways. Some people like the Charge better though because it has titanium handles and s30v knives, while the Wave has stainless handles, and 420HC blades. I paid $70 for mine, but the Charge is about $30-$40 more. Some say its well worth it, but I love my Wave. I am generally not one to carry around stuff on my belt, but I do just too keep the wave with me, and just last night I placed an order for a pocket clip/lanyard ring so I can have it on hand in my pocket.

Thanks for the recommendation, like you i'm not crazy about hanging things off my belt, so something that can do the job and be easy to carry is a huge plus for me.

Thanks Again
Davereb

I have used the Leatherman Kick, Wave, Juice S2, Skeletool, Blast, PST (older USA model) and Supertool for electrical work. The Juice, PST and Skeletool cutters are way too small and can't grab the whole wire to cut it (speaking of a whole sheathed wire). The best that I could recommend from experience is the Wave and/or Charge.

No problem at all. Not only does mine get used at work, it is my EDC tool, pocket knife and everything else. You can go too the leatherman website, http://www.leatherman.com , and click on leatherman world, than tool tales, and there you can read testimonials on leatherman tools. The Wave, and many other tools have helped people in a pinch, small jobs, large jobs, and have even saved lives. If this link works, here you can read on a story where the Wave was used to save a life:
http://www.leatherman.com/leatherman-world/tool-tales/article.asp?articleID=494

Hope this helps you in your decision making. I know some people like SAK, but I like the leatherman because they are made right here in good ole USA.

No problem at all. Not only does mine get used at work, it is my EDC tool, pocket knife and everything else. You can go too the leatherman website, http://www.leatherman.com , and click on leatherman world, than tool tales, and there you can read testimonials on leatherman tools. The Wave, and many other tools have helped people in a pinch, small jobs, large jobs, and have even saved lives. If this link works, here you can read on a story where the Wave was used to save a life:
http://www.leatherman.com/leatherman-world/tool-tales/article.asp?articleID=494

Hope this helps you in your decision making. I know some people like SAK, but I like the leatherman because they are made right here in good ole USA.

Each has its good qualities, and when it comes to emergency use, both Leatherman and Victorinox products have "saved the day" numerous times, according to their web site tales. I own several samples of both makes and would hate to have to choose between them, but if necessary, it would have to be Leatherman, based on tool quality. Neither can fully replace dedicated tools, but in my experience, Leatherman comes closer to that standard.

DaveReb

Gold Member
Well it looks like I'll take the the popular advice and post my Paragon 540 up for trade and try to find a LM Wave or Charge.

Davereb

It is up to you for what you want. There is a $30-$40 difference, depending on where you buy, as the charge costs more for the titanium handles and s30v blades, but I have been hearing many kudos for the s30v. The Wave has proven itself too me, but I can't make a judgement for the Charge cause i havent used it, but I imagine it is great too.

DaveReb

Gold Member
Well I traded the Paragon 540 away and yesterday bought a new LM Wave :D...seems like it is just the right size that I was looking for. I like the fact that I can deploy the blade's without opening the tool:thumbup:, and also like the fact I can carry it horizontally on my sheath:thumbup::thumbup:
The tool itself is stiff as hell but I'm hoping it will loosen up with use. I'd adjust the pivots if it wasn't for the tamper proof torx screws LM uses.
Now for the downside....I also got to check out a Skeletool...and I want one! I didn't think I'd have the same addictive tendencies towards multitools that I have with standard knives. As for the Skeletool, I love the compact size...plus I want the pouch offered by LM with the flashlight loop...It would be a great setup for when I'm doing remodel work. Now to see it I can find a trade for my Mini Grip;)

Davereb

I have no exeperience with the skeletool, so I really can't help you on that, sorry. I got a pocket clip for my Wave yesterday, and It rides very nice in the pocket!! For $5 you can get it and a lanyard ring and they are both covered under the 25 year warranty too.

Just a thought if you don't like sheath carry

It is up to you for what you want. There is a $30-$40 difference, depending on where you buy, as the charge costs more for the titanium handles and s30v blades, but I have been hearing many kudos for the s30v. The Wave has proven itself too me, but I can't make a judgement for the Charge cause i havent used it, but I imagine it is great too.

There's not much difference between the Wave and Charge, IMHO. Mine is a Charge, but at the time I was shopping for a Wave when coming across a great deal on a Charge at only a few dollars more. If I had come across a better deal on a Wave, I would have gone for that. Although there are differences between blade steels, the only practical advantage I have found is that S30v holds its edge longer, but I have never been unhappy with Leatherman's plain old 420HC. It may need resharpening more often, but takes less time to restore an edge than on the supersteel, so in terms of sharpening time, it's a wash. It depends on how often the blade is used with what kind of materials, I suppose.

Well I traded the Paragon 540 away and yesterday bought a new LM Wave :D...seems like it is just the right size that I was looking for. I like the fact that I can deploy the blade's without opening the tool:thumbup:, and also like the fact I can carry it horizontally on my sheath:thumbup::thumbup:
The tool itself is stiff as hell but I'm hoping it will loosen up with use. I'd adjust the pivots if it wasn't for the tamper proof torx screws LM uses.

Be patient, they do loosen up with use. At first I wondered if the tool had been adjusted too tight, but after a few days it was just fine. A (very!) little lube at the pivots can help, but just working it should do the job.

Now for the downside....I also got to check out a Skeletool...and I want one! I didn't think I'd have the same addictive tendencies towards multitools that I have with standard knives.

That you have a knife addiction should have been your tipoff. ;) :D