Multitool recommendations

I'm going to be in Nepal with an international development charity for the next 8 months (starting in 2 weeks). I figure having a multitool would be a very good idea. Looking at what's available, there doesn't seem to really be any consensus on what's best. Anyway, I'm looking principally for something that has a large knife (and strong pliers) in relation to the body. The knife will probably be under an inordinate amount of stress over the trip, so I'll also want something that is quite solid. I'm looking to spend ~50, unless there is a very good reason that I spend more.

Thanks

Sounds like the Charge was made for you then. It has the best knife of any multi-tool out there.

I would recomment the Swisstool in your price range, but if you really want a very strong blade, take a fixed blade with it, but it will add cost... if you already have a strong knife, take it with you and take the swisstool. if you don't, the 154CM blade of the charge will be cool, but over your price range, and approximately in the price range of a swisstool + a cold steel SRK (strong cheap knife).

The Charge would be a good choice what with the different carry options like removable pocket clip and lanyard ring , also the amount of changeable bits you can take with you may be usefull , and of course the 154cm blade that wouldnt need to be sharpend asmuch as other multitool blades .
The swiss tool would be my next choice very strong but a bit heavy and the pliers are not as needle nose as the leatherman .Then theres always the LM Supertool you cant really go wrong with that for a large strong full size multi tool .But imo id go for the charge .

Dunc

I travel a lot. I'm all over the US, Caribbean, and Asia. I have this and both the Charges, a new Wave and the old Wave. Without question, I would take the Swisstool. This is the best built, most solid multitool out there.

My second choice would be the old Wave.

I don't think interchangeable bits are a good idea for travel. If you lose one, the tool is severly handicapped and you have a limited ability to replace it. With the old Wave and the Swisstool, you can't lose them unless you lose the whole tool The less little things you have to lose when traveling, so much the better. At home when I EDC my Charge XTI, I don't worry about it since I have spares at home. No big deal. On the road - a completely different and much more serious problem.

The Swisstool blade is marginally less than the 154CM on the Charges. It is much better than the standard leatherman blades. I would think that if you added a small sharpening stone to your kit, that would be a better choice anyhow (regardless of which tool you take).

Additionally, I would not take any of the Leathermans with me in their supplied sheaths. These are crappy sheaths and do little to protect the tool from dust and junk - which you are going to see A LOT of in that neck of the woods. On my XTI, I am constantly cleaning dust and grit out of the tool - stuff that got there not because I dragged the tool through the dirt, it just go there because of the sheath. Get a custom sheath made that encloses the tool if you are going to take one of these.

In addition, the Leatherman sheath has got elastic sides - not cordura or leather. So they would be subject to failing, IMHO. Bottom line, the sheaths that come with the new LM tools set the bar at a new low for Multitool sheaths. LM used to have some of the best, but now they have the distinction of having the absolute worst.

So, while I EDC the Charge XTI, when I need to do serious stuff or serious travel, I reach for the Swisstool. While the Charges and new Wave are better constructed, by all appearances than the old Wave, this new construction still has not been tested in the field by lots of users yet, the way the Swisstool has. While this is probably ok, I don't think I would want to get into the Himalayas and find out that there is a problem and something breaks - but Leatherman has a fix on the way! I would go with tried and true first.

All of the new LM choices (Wave, XT, XTI) are deficient unless you carry the extra bit kit with you. This means you have one other major part to carry and if you lose that, you are really short parts. The new LM tools all have a smaller choice of blades out of the tool, relying on the interchangeable bits to get you that support.

That all being said, I really like my XTI. I like the blade and the one handed opening. But travelling, I need scissors and the XT (and new Wave) scissors are deficient. The old Wave ones are better than the new LM toos and the SwissTools scissors are the same found on SAK. They are the best of all by a long ways.

So, I would recommend the SwissTool RS.

J.

Victorinox Swiss Army SwissTool Spirit with Leather Pouch and Swiss Army/Victorinox Hat is currently ( 1/1/2005) $48.79 at Amazon.com.

However the Victorinox Swiss Army SwissTool RS is $59.88.

I have owned most every multi tool out there ( being a first responder for 30+ years ) and the two best for the money are the Victorinox Swiss Army Knife SwissTool RS and the SOG Powerlock S60 - don't waste your money on anything else - " Leather Guy" can't come close to an SOG or Victorinox in performance and Warranty!

Victorinox SwissTool RS (Rescue and Survival). comes equipped with both scissors and belt cutter which replace the serrated blade and the metal file and can be life saving in a auto accident. Tools included are: Pliers, Screwdriver (2mm), Screwdriver (3mm), Wire Cutter, Screwdriver (5mm), Bottle Opener, Screwdriver (7.5 mm), Large Blade, Scissors, Seatbelt Cutter, Metal Saw, Wood Saw, Reamer/Punch, Phillips Screwdriver, Chisel/Scraper, Strong Crate Opener, Wire Bender, Wire Stripper, Wire Scraper, Can Opener, Ruler (9 inches), Ruler (230mm), Electrical Crimper, Lanyard Hole . The SwissTool RS has the same features as the original SwissTool with two additional features: seatbelt cutter and scissors - something every first responder needs. Retail Price is $85.

Andrew J. Gnoza, III

Explosive Safety & HazMat Consultant
Explosive Ordnance Disposal Consultant
Hazardous Materials Consultant / Instructor
Weapons of Mass Destruction Instructor

PolishSumgai said:
Victorinox Swiss Army SwissTool Spirit with Leather Pouch and Swiss Army/Victorinox Hat is currently ( 1/1/2005) $48.79 at Amazon.com.

However the Victorinox Swiss Army SwissTool RS is $59.88.

I have owned most every multi tool out there ( being a first responder for 30+ years ) and the two best for the money are the Victorinox Swiss Army Knife SwissTool RS and the SOG Powerlock S60 - don't waste your money on anything else - " Leather Guy" can't come close to an SOG or Victorinox in performance and Warranty!

Victorinox SwissTool RS (Rescue and Survival). comes equipped with both scissors and belt cutter which replace the serrated blade and the metal file and can be life saving in a auto accident. Tools included are: Pliers, Screwdriver (2mm), Screwdriver (3mm), Wire Cutter, Screwdriver (5mm), Bottle Opener, Screwdriver (7.5 mm), Large Blade, Scissors, Seatbelt Cutter, Metal Saw, Wood Saw, Reamer/Punch, Phillips Screwdriver, Chisel/Scraper, Strong Crate Opener, Wire Bender, Wire Stripper, Wire Scraper, Can Opener, Ruler (9 inches), Ruler (230mm), Electrical Crimper, Lanyard Hole . The SwissTool RS has the same features as the original SwissTool with two additional features: seatbelt cutter and scissors - something every first responder needs. Retail Price is $85.

Andrew J. Gnoza, III

Explosive Safety & HazMat Consultant
Explosive Ordnance Disposal Consultant
Hazardous Materials Consultant / Instructor
Weapons of Mass Destruction Instructor

how about the original and x version od swiss tool?why u think RS is the best?

I agree with the SwissTool RS.

It has the scissors and a serrated blade with a slight curve to it - seatbelt cutter.

If the thing had onehanded blade opening it would be the PERFECT tool, no kidding.

J

Thanks for the headzup on the sweet price from Amazon. I ordered one. I was actually planning to score a Swisstool X.

Hope I made the right choice.

For under 50.00US I would get a Leatherman Blast at target, or an Original Swiss tool (should be able to find it near 50 online).

swiss tool spirit is better than the old one,cool scissor and needlenose pliers..... :cool:

Back